• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

When is poor spelling/grammar ok? Discuss literacy...

<3

Originally posted by Munchee
I personally wish people would use correct spelling, grammar and punctuation when using the internet and sms because I feel that this is contributing to the decay of the english language and the standard of english skills that people feel they should have.

^I absolutely entrirely agree.

I go out of my way to use correct grammar and punctiation in all posts and conversations online, and even in SMS - - - the only exception to the rule is where I use 'in jokes' [like 1337 5p34k for example] to express myself.
But only very rarely. :|

It's so much nicer to read proper sentences and even though it's not overly fair, it gives me a better impression about the persons inteligence.

Last edited:
i hate bad grammar and bad spelling.

i dont why, it just really annoys me reading through something and having silly things like "there" instead of "their....

but i do tend to make the odd spelling mistake here and there but i think tahts just because i am a bad 'typer'.

i don't really think that it is appropriate at all to use bad grammar or bad spelling unless you are doing it for a reason/on purpose....

:)

*groans* but it is only the internet and this is only a drug site. Who are you trying to impress really? As long as the message is clear then who gives a shit?

It really irks me when people pick up spelling mistakes. I think it's pety and if that's all they have on you then whatever... talk to the hand hey

I don't abbreviate but i'm a lazy spellA ;)

I was going to make a thread about how it shits me that people have to pick on other people's mistakes but then i couldn't be bothered adding a negative thread in here.

It's not like i'm writing anything of great "importance" like an essay for uni.

If people want to judge my intellect on me not using spell check because i don't have time then that's their problem not mine *shrugs*

PETTY

doofqueen: your post in some ways gets to the crux of the arguement/problem and it is one that Fatoxious brought up. Everyone uses spell check all the time and this is also causing the lowering standards of people's grasp of the english language.

I'll probably sound like a wanker for saying this, but I never use spell checkers. Sure if a word doesn't quite look right I'll take two seconds and check what my good friend www.dictionary.com has to say about it, but I avoid spell checkers like the plague (this also comes from the frustration of being a science/health kind of person, where spell checks are just annoying and, therefore, turned off). I also feel comforted that when I sit down with a pen and paper I still know how to spell, can write a coherent piece without having to rely on something else to make sure everything is correct (or something close to).

This leads me back to what made me start this thread, the standard of english that is now deemed acceptable in an examination context is nothing short of atrocious. I honestly feel that the attitude of "it's just the internet" is leading to the problem.

Man my two cents is stretching one hell of a long way today.

^^^^^^^^ since when does everyone use spell check????

Are u crazy??........lol.

I sincerely doubt that very many people if anyone would write there posts into word to check the spelling and then copy and paste onto here.

Damn sure I dont..............am I in the minority???

And as for the people knocking bad grammer and bad spelling...........You cant be serious...........have a read of your own posts and see how many mistakes are in them.

People in glass houses and the like.

I still dont have an answer to the question which could end this discussion one way or the other.

What difference does it make, so long as the intended reader understands what is being said????

MazDan said:

SLM, whats the diff between ur and your???

The difference is, that I shudder at the use of the word "ur". ;)

And - much as I might like the person - I also question their intelligence to be perfectly, painfully honest. Maybe they do know how to write properly. Maybe they don't. Maybe they're being lazy. Maybe they aren't. Maybe they have an IQ of ten thousand. How would I know? Post content is obviously more than the sum of how it's presented, but grammar and spelling are your internet "first impression" as much as your appearance is your real life first impression.

As I said, I'm not losing any sleep over it, but the topic asked how you feel about it and that's how I feel.

*shrug*

There are two factors that need to be addressed.

1. The context of what is written.
2. The intended reader.

These two factors dictate whether the said text should be perfect or erred.

For example: A specified user manual for a piece of machinery shouldn't be incorrect or mispelt at all.

but

A note left on the side of a fridge for a house mate, can be littered with mistakes and bad spelling, as long as the intended message is conveyed to the reader correctly.

I'm sure i've made mistakes in this post, so please don't quote and flame me....This is somewhat my disclaimer :)

xcidium: that's an excellent example and is very much the sort of thing I can agree with. If you hurriedly scribble a note to a person with the intent of passing on a simple message then it is fine. Of course this leads to the text messaging arguement. In some ways I agree with the idea of abbreviating for text messages, even though I dont do it myself all that often. That does almost lead to another question of how frequently that should be allowed in text messages and if it is more a concern of space in the message, the speed of passing on a message, or if you're just being lazy.

*Throws stones in his Lexan glass house.* ;)

Re: <3

CHiLD-0F-THE-BEAT said:
Originally posted by Munchee
I personally wish people would use correct spelling, grammar and punctuation when using the internet and sms because I feel that this is contributing to the decay of the english language and the standard of english skills that people feel they should have.

^I absolutely entrirely agree.

I go out of my way to use correct grammar and punctiation in all posts and conversations online, and even in SMS - - - the only exception to the rule is where I use 'in jokes' [like 1337 5p34k for example] to express myself.
But only very rarely. :|

It's so much nicer to read proper sentences and even though it's not overly fair, it gives me a better impression about the persons inteligence.

COTB you were being ironic, non???

please tell me you purposely put those mistakes in your post?

i have to say that i'm a bit of a stickler for grammar/spelling - but by the same token, if i'm drunk then i'm liable to make many mistakes, and also lately i have found myself getting more and more mixed up with homonyms [know/no - one/won etc] which is really embarassing and i blame the internet :\ :(

also. i don't bother captilising online either. as you may have noticed :p

Engrish is my wanguage of choice. ;)

Like I said, the content needs to be appropriate for the intended reader. Some type text messages with abbreviations, some don't. :\

I think the abbreviation of SMS's is a personal thing.
Some people don't do it, all dumbasses do.... :p

maths is the universal language anyway so who cares? ;)

im guilty of lazy grammar and punctuation online, mainly because i dont really see it as anything formal. ill admit my english has never been a strong point of mine, give me numbers over words any day. :)

tho, it does shit me when people dont know the differance between, "there" and "their", "seen" and "saw", etc.

oh and i come from a country that has 11 official languages, can i use that as an excuse for my poor engrish skills? =D

Re: Re: <3

Originally posted by Mary Poppins
COTB you were being ironic, non???

please tell me you purposely put those mistakes in your post?

Hahahahahahahahahahahhaahhahahaahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

i'm sure everybodys' posts in this thread could be looked through, and mistakes found, but i'm generally of the opinion that good grammar and spelling is a lot nicer to read, too.

i make plenty of mistakes i'm sure, but i think the effort required to keep things *reasonably* mistake-free, and at the very least readable, is worth it.

still, i don't do it in smses, but that's only because i'm cheap :)

(and remember, if you really can't spell at all, there's always the spell-check option.)

MazDan said:
I dont get it.

SLM, whats the diff between ur and your???

And there are a thousand other examples such as lol etc.

so long as the intended reader understands then isnt that all that matters?

I have no doubt that the word ur for example will be a part of the official dictionaries in the not to distant future.........along with many others and also wouldnt be surprised to see the word your phased out.

Its only now that people are getting usede to this new language but in say 100 years time, it will be the norm.

Language always has and always will continue to evolve.

You are abolutely right, the language IS constantly evolving, and I have no doubt that the internet will work on the English language (probably every other language as well) in ways that we cannot even dream of. Study the history of English even cursorily, and you will realize that it has shamelessly adopted Norwegian, Danish, and French words and Anglified them. Americans sound mostly like they do because of the time period when they left England. (But that's enough of a history lesson.)

The danger with using NEW terminology is related to what you say about "the person just has to be understood". Frankly, I misunderstand half the crap I read on message boards and SMS's, because the terminology and abbreviations are not really universally known and don't always mean just what the writer intends.

It is important if you are trying to communicate to make sure that your message cannot be misunderstood.

That's a good post strumpet, something I was going to bring up before regarding the evolution of the English language is that it has evolved to become more precise and explanatory.

The current 'evolution' (if you can call it that), is loosing the clarity of the language and is making the message ambiguous.

There is no excuse for poor spelling or grammar. Offenders need to be shot on sight.

I really don't think that the issue being discussed here is one relating to personal attacks on people who choose not to use correct grammar or spelling.

More a question of where will the disintegration take us. If we constantly use poor social communication, it will effect our other methods of communication too. And is this something we can really afford?

Its the small things, like being swept away with an idea and typing. Only to look back at whats written and realise the mistakes you've made subconciously.

I'll admit using web forumns/irc/msn has made a huge impact on the quality of my language.

To be honest the odd spelling mistake or use of poor grammar doesn't tend to bother me too much,
as long as a post isn't riddled with them. I know on many occasions [msn especially] i have written your instead of you're, as i am quite often drunk and when you type as slowly and poorly as i do the quickest way is the best way for me. As for posting i try to keep things as error free as possible but to be honest English isn't one of my strongest points.:\

What i do have problems with is the deliberate mis-spelling of words such as boi, skool or any word with an "8" it in it. Also any post without paragraphs, I generally won't even bother reading them.