• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos When is it not safe to go cold turkey

ElevatedSoul

Bluelighter
Obviously, if you go cold turkey on benzo's after long use you have an increase chance of seizures, I want to know how long do you need to take them before its unsafe to go cold turkey. Im a paranoid fellow, so Im posting this even though my reason may be dumb. For the past weekish (skipped a does one day in the middle) I've taken ativan 1-2mg every night. (I took 2mg for the first time in the week last night, and also tonight) Before hand I have no history in taking them day after day. So after a weekish of benzo use, could I go cold turkey tomorrow? Again, this post probably makes me look ignorant, but I couldnt find much on the internet while searching using the way I worded my question. I dont know if seizures are merely a size effect of benzo withdrawal, if so, I then would I assume I am fine (Because doesn't it take a prolonged, consistent use of a drug to form dependency?) Anyway, all I want to know is if I'm safe to stop tomorrow. No addictions towards it, but have just been going through opiate withdrawal and have been using it to sleep.

Unless you have a history of seizures you are 100% okay to go cold turky. A week is nothing. Two weeks is when dependency becomes even a tiny issue. The most you will be hit with is some rebound anxiety and maybe a little insomnia.

You won't have any seizures don't worry, as the other posted said one week isn't enough to develop an addiction and significant withdrawal symptoms.
If you're an anxious person then at the most you'll experience some little rebound anxiety or trouble falling asleep, but it will be gone within 2 days maximum. But its still very unlikely.

I stopped benzos cold turkey after 5 years and I didn't have any seizures. I am just not prone to them. IIRC the only time I had one was on the spice. Some aren't so lucky but if you are talking about a couple weeks no big deal.

I agree, at that dosage for that amount of time the most youre looking at is some rebound anxiety, insomnia etc., UNLESS you are very seizure prone. Or if you were taking other gabergics before that there is cross tolerance. Also, I would avoid anything else that lowers seizure threshold for awhile after you come off to be safe.

So from what I understand, only people who are prone to seizures get them while in benzo withdrawal? Again, Ive been taking these for only a week, so I shouldn't get withdrawal, right? Took 3mg today as my last dose so I can have some recreational fun, plan on going cold turkey now. Am I safe to?

No, anyone can have a seizure due to benzo withdrawal. You just haven't been on them long enough for that to happen. Quit while you're ahead.

You probably won't have a seizure, but if you have any history of anxiety problems I would advise a taper instead of cold turkey. Rebound anxiety can be really hardcore even after a couple of days of benzo use.

So from what I understand, only people who are prone to seizures get them while in benzo withdrawal? Again, Ive been taking these for only a week, so I shouldn't get withdrawal, right? Took 3mg today as my last dose so I can have some recreational fun, plan on going cold turkey now. Am I safe to?
Dude if you are an opiate addict you know the pain of addiction and if you think trading your smack dependency for benzo dependency is a down grade you are sadly mistaken. Benzo withdrawal makes opiate wds look like you are farting sunshine. If you are an addict an have been using benzos for a week and then again since you've oosted the first time ,you have no excuse you should know what's coming.
I'm not trying to be critical I'm saying this out of care and concern.If you are still in the purgatory of opiate addiction why jump into the hell of benzos(sorry reformed catholic). Not promoting you to continue on your opiate addiction but you'd be better off booting up smack then picking up a benzo habit to keep your dope habit company!Smack,pks booting,sniffing whatever it's all semantics leads to misery)

Last edited:
Dude if you are an opiate addict you know the pain of addiction and if you think trading your smack dependency for benzo dependency is a down grade you are sadly mistaken. Benzo withdrawal makes opiate wds look like you are farting sunshine. If you are an addict an have been using benzos for a week and then again since you've oosted the first time ,you have no excuse you should know what's coming.
I'm not trying to be critical I'm saying this out of care and concern.If you are still in the purgatory of opiate addiction why jump into the hell of benzos(sorry reformed catholic). Not promoting you to continue on your opiate addiction but you'd be better off booting up smack then picking up a benzo habit to keep your dope habit company!Smack,pks booting,sniffing whatever it's all semantics leads to misery)

Looks like he's just tryna keep the opiate wds at bay, i think op doesn't want to continue using benzos

Looks like he's just tryna keep the opiate wds at bay, i think op doesn't want to continue using benzos
No I think you're right but I guess I feel compelled to warn people(sorry bad habit). I just get concerned when I see people treating opiate addiction with benzos.

Op you won't go into wds after a week!