• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos when does rebound/withdrawels start?

en10se

Bluelighter
if the benzo half life is like 10-20 hours, (lorazepam), would it take longer then 24+ hours to go into w/d or rebound?
for the last month, (panic disorder), been taking 1mg ativan once a day (prescribed from my GP), wondering if this can continue without rebound/ early wd with 1 every 24hours, like once at 7:00pm daily. Or in a few months ask my GP for a longer acting benzo (Ativan is working)

Benzos should never be prescribed for daily use any longer then two weeks. Your doctor is irresponsible, you are going to end up completely physically and mentally dependent on benzos if you keep this up, that is if you aren't already.

I suggest you go on a quick taper like .5mg a day for a few days, then .25mg, then hop off.

Save the benzos for when you get severe panic or anxiety, don't use them daily... Benzo dependence and withdrawal is the worst thing you will ever experience. And if you take them daily, they will lose effect, but you won't be able to live without them, because you will experience severe panic and anxiety if you don't take the benzo after you have been using them for a month +.

Benzo usage is linked to brain damage, and neurodegenerative diseases like alzheimers. Please be responsible, and seize daily benzo usage before you dig yourself a deep hole.

as much as everything you said is true, my question was just regarding what part of the half life will w/d or rebound start?
Ive withdraweled off ativan 2 differnt times, and been battling on and off usage for many years (extreme panic disorder) and at this time dailey usage has been better then not using them.

as much as everything you said is true, my question was just regarding what part of the half life will w/d or rebound start?
Ive withdraweled off ativan 2 differnt times, and been battling on and off usage for many years (extreme panic disorder) and at this time dailey usage has been better then not using them.

Benzo use long term actually worsens your panic disorder over time, when used daily. You should try to use them no more then 2 or 3 times a week max, when you are having a very panicky day.

I'd say within 24 hours you will experience rebound anxiety and withdrawal effects will begin to build. The withdrawal will probably peak at around day 5. But they linger for months without a proper taper, even years. Known as PAWS. This is because if you don't taper, and go cold turkey, your gaba receptors down regulate and take a long time to reach homeostasis again. There is evidence showing that permanent damage to the gaba receptors can result from this. Basically, when ur in benzo withdrawal, you are actually damaging your brain. That is why the ashton manual for benzo dependence tapering is the ideal route to go, when getting off benzos.

Last edited:
so Ive read that withdrawals start within 24 hours, would ativan be best taken twice a day or once aday if I was going to be taking it daily.

If you are going to be taking it I would say twice a day to acheive more stable blood levels and maybe less chance of psychological addiction due to that when you spread out doses you tend to get less of a "high" if you would call benzos that. In general with most drugs it is better to use more spread out dosing than taking more at once.

Keep in mind that the things said above are true (I wonder if my brain ended up getting fucked from the time I was prescribed benzos and went to detox from opioids and they just decided to cold turkey pull the benzos as well- surprisingly common that doctors have no idea about this and think it is just fine to pull people cold turkey off benzos- and sometimes the medical system will put you in a situation where it can happen beyond your control (or like other people I know you could end up drinking with them and getting arrested, or arrested for any reason and be forced to come off them b/c most jails (I was in one that did a 14day taper but most don't) don't give a shit if you get brain damage so long as they don't think you will be able to prove they are responsible in a lawsuit) about downregulation and panic disorders getting worse. If I use benzos again it will not be daily use, only use in the worst situations.