• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

when and how to apply to grad school?

bleedingheartcommie

Bluelighter
I;m a sociology major and i should finish up next year with a 3.5.... I'd like to go to gra school and persue a phd track. I'm going to need money though. I heard if you Teach a few intro classes the school will pay your tuition and rent and whatnot. Is this true? do i have the grades to pull money? when do I start looking and applying?

Hi!

So you'll be graduating in Spring 2007? If you want to go straight to graduate school, without taking time off, *now* is definitely the time to start looking and applying at schools.

When looking at schools, check out the faculty of the sociology department and see if their research interests jive with yours. a PhD is a big committment and you will be doing *a lot* of research - you want to make sure you are in a school that will support you and has the same interests as you.

Yes, it's true (usually) if you TA you receive a stipend, plus your tuition is waived.

Oh, if you haven't already, take the GRE!!

Okay. I'm a first year student in Berkeley's PhD program.

>>So you'll be graduating in Spring 2007? If you want to go straight to graduate school, without taking time off, *now* is definitely the time to start looking and applying at schools.>>

Yup. I took a year off though.

>>I'm going to need money though. >>

If the school you end up at has policies like those at Berkeley, you will be able to make some cash on the side and waive tuition by grading papers and/or teaching. The only problem, for me, was the first year's out-of-state tuition, which was a bitch. I was able to cover things with loans. I cannot predict what kinds of grants you might get though (I got a substantial one my first term, but not the second).

>>do i have the grades to pull money?>>

It's more than grades. How do your Jr. and Sr. year grades look? Did you do an honors thesis? What are your GREs like? How awesome is your statement of purpose? How are your reccomendation letters? Do you have current research experience in the social sciences?

ebola

This is definitely something you'd need to start thinking about NOW if you'd want to apply for fall of 07. The best bet would be to approach one of your professors and set up a time to talk to them about your options. They may be able to recommend programs or share more information about the procedure for you.