Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the last film you saw? v. Why doesn’t Peter Jackson wear shoes?

Harold and Maud for good old meaningful fun and Evil Dead Rise,for bloody disgusting horror fans but oddly Hereditary stuck in my head for a good while.
harold and maude GIF by Turner Classic Movies

yes....black mirror 6.five short movies.number1-too quick flows somehow,but wife like it very much...probaly I was almost sleeping and did not understand a lot.Second-too slow moving untill last minutes.Third-this was good!Fourth-Woaaaahhh:pFifth-ye.....may be THE BEST!

Stalker (1979)

Slow almost silent Russian stuff. I was drawn in for a bit but passed out towards the end. Perhaps requires a rewatch but left me feeling like Solaris was Tarkovsky’s only worthwhile flick if this is one of his ‘better’ ones. What soundtrack that exists is mad decent. The ‘Stalker’ video games bear a remarkable resemblance in plot, but aren’t too similar.

New Rose Hotel (1998)

Interesting ‘sci-fi’ as it were. Corporate espionage and such. Not super riveting but better than much of what passes as sci-fi in most decades. Definitely enjoyable. Interesting soundtrack.

Have u ever read the book about stalkers in the Zone...or other books of Strugatski brothers....They are one of the best sci fi writers for me ...along with Robert Shackley and Ray Bradburry

i watched the wham! documentary on netflix. it was great.

alasdair

The other night I couldn't sleep and basically through the day & night watched the entire LOTR trilogy. All extended versions.

Now I'm on to the second Hobbit one.

Absolutely bonkers.

The Deer Hunter ( 1978 )

Michael Cimino films are usually sort of… I dunno, long winded, but this was the best of his work I’ve seen. Sorta only worth the one watch for me though. I mean it was a good movie in most all aspects, but something about it felt worth only the one viewing. Great acting and riveting story, but too much setup and a bit of an off ending in my opinion.

7.5/10

I reckon I'm apergery...am mildly autistic.
Love this.

My gf and I watched that while coming down on mushrooms lol. I couldn’t tell whether it was as weird as I thought it was or if it was the residual effect of the drugs. Regardless, it was entertaining I’ll give it that

^ I think the huge pub-spuritual/culture hub, of the UK, situation is a very, UK centric thing ... apparently with eastern Europe, & parts of rural western Europe it's probably very similar.

The loss if those hubs of community; as much as the drinks industry were siphoning from them, & as much addiction they enabled- created a huge vacuum in many people's sense of identity.

I reckon this one goes deep, on capturing both of the above dilemmas. With a nod to old horror- sci-fi, thrown in, to add to the 'alienation' of cultural & capital regime-change. 😉

... apart from that, yes, it's entertaining.

The other night I couldn't sleep and basically through the day & night watched the entire LOTR trilogy. All extended versions.

Now I'm on to the second Hobbit one.

Absolutely bonkers.
Did I reply to this? Unless I did and never hit post. I think I had forgotten to include the last movie I had seen though. I have the extended versions of the LOTR series, but have never seen The Hobbit ones. Funnily enough I never read the LOTR books, but I have read The Hobbit. I guess I can't really say this without seeing them, but it didn't seem like a book that needed 3 movies.

The last movie I saw was "Alice, Darling" (2022) with Anna Kendrick. It was about her spending time with her friends (she lied and told her boyfriend that she was working) and having the realization that she's in a psychologically abusive relationship.

Been a while since I watched a movie. I try to watch Hyjack with that brit Idris is it? Love the guy but cannot for the hell of it stay awake. Not complaining but my stream cred is dropping. lol
out

Contempt / Le mepris, the new studiocanal 4k scan

took my parents. afterward my dad asked, "was that a real movie?"

Boogie Nights on 70mm

film adds to the vibe. and works with the story's videotape critique. not sure i could tell a huge difference between 70 and 35. it was shot on 35, so enlarging must be involved in the transfer.

Past Lives

saw a digital projection, but it's shot on 35mm. good looking movie. quiet story.

Boogie Nights
Speaking of that, which I re-watched on Bluray last weekend...

Babylon (2022)

This movie was a straight mashup of 'meta' concepts, while being in many ways a scene for scene remake of Boogie Nights in a 1920s/30s Hollywood setting. In fact it was so eerily similar that I found myself quite bored quite fast, being able to anticipate each and every scene as it came up. Throw in some La La Land style scoring and plot elements and there you have it, you've seen Babylon. The performances were decent, many scenes were borderline NC-17, but it just felt like the whole film was trying too hard to be something profound when it was anything but.

Definitely a high dollar production and well shot, but can't recommend wasting time on it if you've seen both Boogie Nights and La La Land.

5.8/10

Dark Planet (1997)

How on Earth did they get Michael York for this? Low budget, worst sfx of the 1990s, looked like a straight to vhs kinda movie. Plot was okay but acting was awful. Put me to sleep while I stayed up to monitor my nauseous dog. Not even worth watching as a 'so bad it's funny' film, not even worthy of MST3K.

1/10