Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the last film you saw? v. Why doesn’t Peter Jackson wear shoes?

Circle (2015) - 3.5 stars - would be 4 stars but I wasn't keen on the janky ending. Considering it's essentially just people standing still in a room talking in real time it keeps interest really well. 50 people are standing in a circle without knowing how they got there. To simply the rules, every 2 minutes a person dies. They can all vote on who dies each round (they cannot see who votes for who) or they can do nothing and a random person dies. I feel like - morally - they spent too much of the time discussing whether the little girl or the pregnant girl should live (it's assumed throughout the only one person gets to live in the end/that somebody lives), but overall I really enjoyed this. It is infinitely more interesting than it sounds.

Fall (2022) ... 7/10

I'm scared of heights, so this scared the shit out of me at times. It was produced on a tiny budget ($3M) and some of the acting is a bit hit and miss, but I enjoyed it. Hard to elaborate any more than that without spoiling anything.

MV5BNjU4YjBkZDgtYjI1MC00NTYzLWFlZGMtYmVlYjRmNWY0YWMzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjM0MTI4Mw@@._V1_.jpg

Thor: Love and Thunder (2022)

It's not as good as Ragnarok, but (still) I like Waititi doing comic book films. He understands how to make a silly, crowd pleasing movie while also not just playing it safe and doing the obvious. His shtick (sp?) is starting to get a bit old. It's a fun movie, but it's also completely forgettable.

The MacGuffin plots in comic book films are starting to get a bit grindy. Love and Thunder, despite Waititi's flair, lacks a decent plot at the centre of it. Christian Bale is excellent - as usual - but his character is a bit... meh. He has a sword and he's a fervent member of the atheist society.

6.5/10

Strange, not bizarre but just didn’t make much sense (this is becoming a trend in these films pre 2010 lol).

2/5 (that’s generous)

Have been halfway through Ambulance for three days. Been waiting for an opportunity to watch the rest of it with the missus. Such is life when you have a four year old and you want to watch an R-rated movie.

It's not bad. The cinematography is masturbatory but it suits Michael Bay's camp over-the-top (lack of) style. I like his films. I don't know why people hate on him so much. As soon as I see his name, I know what I'm in for.

If you don't want to see a Michael Bay movie, don't watch one.

Jake Gyllenhaal is more fun in Ambulance than I've seen him for ages.

There are a lot of guns. There's a lot of car crashes. The wife turned to me at one point and said it looks like they're trying to destroy as many cars as humanly possible. I told her, don't worry, they're not going to beat Blues Brothers.

I give the first half of the film a solid 6/10. It doesn't deserve any more or less than that, IMO, but I'm enjoying it more than a typical 6/10.

Tried watching it. Found it difficult to suspend disbelief. Wahlberg was Wahlberg. Hart was Hart. There is something missing in a lot of Netflix productions, like some kind of spark. Me Time was no exception for me. We watched about half an hour, I think. There was a funny Jackass like moment, but the rest of the film didn't work for us.

@Nikki27 - What did you think?

I agree re: Michael Bay. He is talented at certain things and perhaps a bit underrated IMO. If you can get past the annoying stuff in some of his movies (product placement, hokey shit etc.) he's good for a bit of lighthearted entertainment and his action sequences are legitimately good IMO

The original Alien is a great horror film. I don't think it's overrated at all. I don't even think the first (and best) sequel is overrated either. It's a wonderful film, but is more of a science fiction action movie. But as with any franchise, too many sequels just ruins things. It has happened to so many iconic horror franchises.

The series went downhill after the third movie came out. Once they could clone Sigourney Weaver too, you just knew they were milking it as far as they could take the story. I think she is too old now to care about making a return, but they probably offered her a fat pay check.

Then the ones where they fight the Predators are trashy. Really lame. You just have to make every 2000s horror movie too dark to see what's going on in the tunnels. Don't ya?

Barbarian (2022)

Went into it not knowing anything nor having seen any trailers. I think that was best. Began in a typical thriller way but went sideways fast. Decent modern horror flick, enjoyed it more than Men from earlier in the year as well as Nope.

7/10

Men (2022)

What a weird film. I really liked it. Rory Kinnear is amazing... It's about a woman who takes a solo holiday to the English countryside to process the trauma surrounding her husband's death. Very graphic. By the guy who made Ex Machina and Annihilation. It's my favourite of his films so far, but I suspect I'm alone in thinking that.

8/10

I watched Chinatown (1974) again recently, it had been a while. I took 20mg of psilacetin earlier and had quite a few cocktails while I watched it. That's one deep movie man. Lots of foreshadowing but so cleverly done. The acting is superb (sans the Polanski cameo) and I think it's honestly the best film noir I've seen. Shout out to Jerry Goldsmith on the soundtrack. It really blew my mind, and I don't think it was just the drugs or drink, but...

Forget it man, it's Chinatown.

Also watched Lawrence of Arabia with my wife recently, her first viewing. Classic film. I need to upgrade from my dvd, it looks pretty grainy on a 4k tv now.

9/10

Filth (2013)

Another Irvine Welsh novel adaptation. This one was weird. Early on it felt a lot like the film adaptation of Trainspotting but it got dark and twisted fast. Filth is a good description. I'm not sure what we were supposed to get from this one, but it wasn't a bad film. It was just vulgar for the sake of vulgarity I felt.

6/10

I watched Chinatown (1974) again recently, it had been a while. I took 20mg of psilacetin earlier and had quite a few cocktails while I watched it. That's one deep movie man. Lots of foreshadowing but so cleverly done. The acting is superb (sans the Polanski cameo) and I think it's honestly the best film noir I've seen. Shout out to Jerry Goldsmith on the soundtrack. It really blew my mind, and I don't think it was just the drugs or drink, but...

Forget it man, it's Chinatown.
IIRC the sequel to Chinatown is Mulholland Falls (1996).

the latest film by david fincher in black and white, it was super lame.
What was it… Mank? Yeah Mank blew. I tried to watch it, just sorta had it on in the background a couple times till it was over.

Jaws (1975) in 3D
I was able to view this classic film in the theater last month. The last time I saw it was in my childhood so I was able to have a direct comparison of the impression it gave to me then and now. As a child I enjoyed the beach swimming scenes and remembered the movie being mostly beach swimming scenes. As an adult I enjoyed watching the fishing and boat scenes more and it turns out the movie is about 50% swimming scenes and 50% fishing scenes.

It's a movie for the whole family.

8/10

I thought that movie sucked too. I saw a bunch of good press about it beforehand but...it just came across as the passion project of some nerd who was really into a particular subject, but didn't bother to make the story engaging/interesting in any way to people who may not have been as obsessed with it as they were...

Last night I rewatched Altered States (1980) for the first time in years.

It was quite good. I really love this movie. It's also a great book.

Very easy to find the free streaming link with Google.

Not too many good movies around about fictional psychedelics. Most movie's tripping sequences are kind of lame but I really enjoy that part of this film. The religious imagery is particularly strong in some of them.

I watched it on mdma and thc so it was enhanced.
5/5

Jaws (1975) in 3D
I was able to view this classic film in the theater last month. The last time I saw it was in my childhood so I was able to have a direct comparison of the impression it gave to me then and now. As a child I enjoyed the beach swimming scenes and remembered the movie being mostly beach swimming scenes. As an adult I enjoyed watching the fishing and boat scenes more and it turns out the movie is about 50% swimming scenes and 50% fishing scenes.

It's a movie for the whole family.

8/10
For sure, am suddenly evolving an interest in engineered things, the evolution is interesting

Last edited: