• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos What to take to combat Xanax withdrawals?

NeedYourHelp

Greenlighter
Hi all,

I've been taking 2mg of Xanax everyday since 2010. I was messing around and took more than I was supposed to, so I've left myself a bit short until refill day (24th). I have 2mgs left when I should have 3 or 4. What this means is today I will have 1.5mg, tomorrow just 0.5, and early Wednesday (refill day) 0mg. Obviously I will be in a state of withdrawal and my body does not tolerate withdrawals well; I become pretty much non-functional. For example, I can't walk down a flight of stairs due to anxiety issues as well as my sense of physical balance is off/vertigo kicks in. I can't even really walk around the house unassisted as I feel like I'm gonna hit the floor any minute even with just a few hours of withdrawal. Can't sleep due to an overactive mind, jumpiness, and insomnia.

Is there anything I can get OTC that might reduce these feelings or alleviate them?

You should be fine, since you refill the day you run out; however full-blown/s?v?re benzodiazepine wd is a medical emergency, and otc meds simply will not work

Keep track of your vital signs, as alprazolam(Xanax) hits hard and fast, and if think get too bad, please do not be afraid to go to ER

In the UK, Hydroxyine will help otc, otherwise in the USA, there really isn?t anything otc that will help.

Sorry no replies sooner, although if you refill tomorrow try to make it through, and be careful, now and in the future, bzd wd is nothing to play with

Be safe, OP

I understand you may be a complete prescription person with no real connections, but by any chance do you know anyone who may be willing to sell you some? It doesn't have to be Xanax (although it may need to be if you are going to the doctor and they drug test you and confirm lab results, but it sounds like you are just waiting for a refill). It could be Klonopin, Valium, Atavan, etc. Hell, it isn't a 100% match, but even something like Zolpedim (Ambian in the US) partially substitutes for benzodiazepines.

Also, if you are in the USA, most pharmacies will allow refills of even controlled substances up to 2 days early as long as you don't make it a common occurrence.

Could op simply not just have a couple of drinks of alcohol on the day of .5mg? I know its not ideal, but alcohol activates some of the same gaba receptors. especially in combination with the small amount of xanax you have, I would imagine you would be 80% just fine.

I don't think so. It might fuck him up even further. People on long term benzo habits taking alcohol or vice versa can have paradoxical reactions, it not all that uncommon. Not to mention with 2mg being the equivalent of 40mg diazepam, that's a whole lot of alcohol. Not to mention itd be a bad habit to start although plenty of people do it (drinking between scripts). In alcohol intolerant individuals, alcohol has been known to cause seizures all on its own (same with certain opioids)

^ Agreed; ethanol is a last resort, mostly for mild-moderate wd

Again full blown benzodiazepine wd is a. Education emergency, and xanax hits so hard and fast, and then wears offf so quickly less than 478 hours later it is , INE quite intense

Just be careful, seems like you could make it, however no one can guarantee that, and if you have to please go to the ER; even 2ng Ativan IV(or IM, which they occasionally give for some reason) could buy you that extra day for a refill- and if you have a decent rep at pharmacy, you could likely get them after 28 days, certainly 29(otherwise switch pharmacies after this, that is silly to make someone run out of medication before refilling it, especially since it is schedule 4 in the US, and Doctors can legally prescribe a 90 day supply if they want to