• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Gabapentinoids What to expect?

FutureReference

Bluelighter
Hey all,

I saw my doctor today and he says that the "war on drugs" is worsening and soon I will not be able to get opioids. He agreed I should have my dose of 40MG upped to 60MG but said I will be left alone soon.

I told him I think of killing myself, but don't have a plan. I promised I would be here for our next appointment. He put me on Gabapentin the lowest dose because he said it may make me act on suicidal ideations.

100MG it says once a night. What will this do? I am already on Clonazepam, Citalopram and Temazepam so it seemed odd but he said it will make my Oxy work better and stabilize my mood. What to expect my friends? Hope's not too high, picking up scripts tomorrow and praying this will help

Honestly probably not much at that dose, particularly if you are already taking sizeable doses of benzos. Pregabalin would be a better option.

If they want to take you off you might consider methadone. This might allow you to increase your dose substantially but there are issues with this.

First, the pain killing properties don't last nearly as long as the withdrawal supressing properties. Additionally, it takes a few hours to take full effect, which is not a great situation if you are in pain. Also, it will raise your tolerance substantially. The benefit would be that you would probably be allowed to take as much as you need, and eventually once you figure out how to use it, you should be able to obtain 24/7 coverage. As a chronic pain patient you might have to dose it differently, split 3 times a day as opposed to once.

Personally, methadone is one my all time favorite opioids. I was on 380mg/day at one point so perhaps I became conditioned to like it, but even years later after i quit, when trying low doses of it I found it really enjoyable. I haven't had the chance to have it in years, but i'd probably take it over most other opioids, including oxycodone. Not everyone likes it as much as me, and i only used it to get high, so its hard to say how good it is for pain. It might be worth a shot. At the very least, you wouldnt be in withdrawal anymore.

Honestly probably not much at that dose, particularly if you are already taking sizeable doses of benzos. Pregabalin would be a better option.

If they want to take you off you might consider methadone. This might allow you to increase your dose substantially but there are issues with this.

First, the pain killing properties don't last nearly as long as the withdrawal supressing properties. Additionally, it takes a few hours to take full effect, which is not a great situation if you are in pain. Also, it will raise your tolerance substantially. The benefit would be that you would probably be allowed to take as much as you need, and eventually once you figure out how to use it, you should be able to obtain 24/7 coverage. As a chronic pain patient you might have to dose it differently, split 3 times a day as opposed to once.

Personally, methadone is one my all time favorite opioids. I was on 380mg/day at one point so perhaps I became conditioned to like it, but even years later after i quit, when trying low doses of it I found it really enjoyable. I haven't had the chance to have it in years, but i'd probably take it over most other opioids, including oxycodone. Not everyone likes it as much as me, and i only used it to get high, so its hard to say how good it is for pain. It might be worth a shot. At the very least, you wouldnt be in withdrawal anymore.

Thank you brother! What is the difference of pregabalin? Is there really a chance the Gabapentin will make me less depressed

That is absolute bullshit! They cannot just leave you without medication. You are injured!
You think of killing yourself.
My friend, we will find someone to take care of you.

Did he up your dose of Oxy then? From 40 to 60 mg?
I hope so.
The Gabapentin really made me feel weird in a bad way. I think I was allergic to it or bad reaction.
Try it carefully. It seemed to help at first but the problem came after just 1-2 weeks of taking it and then not taking it.
Though, I was not having a good reaction the whole time.
I would check out the withdrawal thread on that stuff before you take it up.

On the other hand, it has helped people. I have read about it.
just not me. Lol.
Hoping it helps you!

If nothing else, at least the added oxy should help.
Im so sorry you are feeling so bad.

That is absolute bullshit! They cannot just leave you without medication. You are injured!
You think of killing yourself.
My friend, we will find someone to take care of you.

Did he up your dose of Oxy then? From 40 to 60 mg?
I hope so.
The Gabapentin really made me feel weird in a bad way. I think I was allergic to it or bad reaction.
Try it carefully. It seemed to help at first but the problem came after just 1-2 weeks of taking it and then not taking it.
Though, I was not having a good reaction the whole time.
I would check out the withdrawal thread on that stuff before you take it up.

On the other hand, it has helped people. I have read about it.
just not me. Lol.
Hoping it helps you!

If nothing else, at least the added oxy should help.
Im so sorry you are feeling so bad.

Thank you so much! He convinced me soon opioids won't be available in the US and fears I will need more and more. He didn't raise my dose =/ he only gave the Gabapentin but said next month 300MG increase but thinks light kill myself on it

I hope enough people protest this shit. Hell, I'd probably do it and I'm not even a pain patient.

Thank you brother! What is the difference of pregabalin? Is there really a chance the Gabapentin will make me less depressed

Pregabalin is much stronger. A good dose of pregabalin (lyrica) will probably help you out a fair amount. In your case a minimum of 300mg+ would my guess.

The extent to which gabapentin or pregabalin helps depends on the type of pain. If i recall correctly you have some sort of combat gunshot/shrapnel injury. If you have substantial nerve damage, gabapentinoids (like gabapentin, pregabalin, phenibut) will help quite abit. 100mg of gabapentin won't help much. It definitely won't reduce your depression unless your depression is caused by neuropathic pain that gabapentinoids relieve.

You need more pain meds ultimately. If you are a combat vet with a combat injury I'd sure hope you'd be able to find decent pain management care elsewhere. I have no clue how the VA system works however.

One way to tell if gabapentin could possibly work for you would be to order a small amount of phenibut online (which for all intents and purposes, is quite similar to gabapentin) and see if a high dose helps. 100mg of gabapentin isn't going to help you much, I hate to say it, I am just being honest.

You need to explore what pain management opportunities you might have, whatever these may be, then weigh the risk and benefits, and proceed accordingly.

Hey Future,

Hope you are well today.
How did the Gabapentin work?

I just wanted to tell you that I tried two capsules of Vietnamese Kratom this morning along with my usual prescribed MS Contin.
I am shocked at how much pain relief it added!

My pain is really flared up due to the weather change and wind this morning. I decided to try two of the Kratom pills I have for emergency situations and they really helped out.

It feels like I added about 15-20 mg of hydrocodone on.
I don‘t want to raise my tolerance or get stuck with Kratom so I will only use this sparingly but now I am not so scared about how I am going to make it through the winter.

Hope this can help you too!

Thank you all so much. Honestly I had extra Oxycodone and it's hard to get out so I have the prescription picked up but need to see my cousin to get the Gabapentin. My psychiatrist mentioned Lyrica before, what is the feeling like? Is it bad to be prescribed both? She would prescribe the Lyrica or I could ask to be changed by my Pain doctor with no Gabapentin and only Pregabalin. Just wondering what to expect once on a stable dose. The bullet fragments I swear gave nerve damage but he felt my shoulder blades and said he could feel the muscle spasming so believes trigger point injections direct to the shot area will help tremendously. At the end of the rope so all I can do is pray

Pregabalin might help you out quite abit at higher doses 300mg+. Sort of benzo like, but more stimulating. At high doses (600mg+) it has unique empathogenic qualities in that are in some ways reminiscent of, yet distinct from, MDMA empathy. Though its certainly not approved for this, it certainly could be therapeutic for PTSD at high doses, and I imagine some innovative psychiatrists have probably explored its offlabel prescription for this purpose. I was on 900mg/day of it for quite some time (for absolutely no good reason), and found it pretty comforting (too much so).

It also has an antidepressant effect of sorts and has mood altering properties that gabapentin lacks. If you indeed have nerve damage it should help. Gabapentin could also help, but 100mg is a low dose.

Last edited:
Pregabalin might help you out quite abit at higher doses 300mg+. Sort of benzo like, but more stimulating. At high doses (600mg+) it has unique empathogenic qualities in that are in some ways reminiscent of, yet distinct from, MDMA empathy.
However, tolerance RAPIDLY develops to any gabaergic, so i caution you on recreational use of them, it didn't take long for me to get into the 1000's of mg, which i advise against.

Hey all,

I saw my doctor today and he says that the "war on drugs" is worsening and soon I will not be able to get opioids. He agreed I should have my dose of 40MG upped to 60MG but said I will be left alone soon.

I told him I think of killing myself, but don't have a plan. I promised I would be here for our next appointment. He put me on Gabapentin the lowest dose because he said it may make me act on suicidal ideations.

100MG it says once a night. What will this do? I am already on Clonazepam, Citalopram and Temazepam so it seemed odd but he said it will make my Oxy work better and stabilize my mood. What to expect my friends? Hope's not too high, picking up scripts tomorrow and praying this will help

What exactly did he give as the reason for opioids not going to be available in the United States? This is dealing with the Veterans' Administration, correct? The whole VA situation back there and the overall response to permanent damage from combat and PTSD is a scandal and an outrage . . . I wouldn't put it past the US government to try something resembling that, but it would also probably lead to a revolution . . .

The gabapentin is being used even though it could exacerbate suicidal ideation? There are plenty other categories of opioid potentiators including some which might work well enough to almost close the 20 mg gap in the oxycodone dose. Promethazine plus meprobamate or carisoprodol is one analgesic-sparing recipe for use with oxycodone since the promethazine causes the body to make more of the oxycodone into oxymorphone, and adding cyclizine or hydroxyzine as a third ingredient will help the benzodiazepines work better too.

Last edited: