• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants What single dose of instant dexamphetamine do adults usually need for ADHD?

glab

Bluelighter
My pdoc told me that the maximum single dose of IR d-amph which I can take is 15mg.

15 mg seems like a rather small dose to me. I studied the leaflet of the d-amph product which I have which is
for children with ADHD and even the leaflet says that some children may require up to 40mg!
But it does not say if they mean 40mg single dose or 40mg throughout the entire day.

But if even children may need 40mg (let's say they mean 40mg per day) then how shall I get along with 15mg?
Even if I dose 2 times a day then I'm still only at 30mg. :?

Today I took 7,5mg under the tongue and it made me sleepy.

If you actually need it for medical reasons, your aim should be to keep your dose as low as possible while still getting positive effect (which is a completely different thing than 'feeling it'). Tolerance is a bitch and if you start boosting your dose, you're just going to end up with a medication that doesn't work for your symptoms.

But the problem is I can't really tell if it has an effect or not. When I testing Ritalin LA at different doses I only noticed that side effects increased at higher doses but no positive effects.
How shall I test if it works or not? I was thinking that if I hit an effectual dose I will just "know" that it works. One doc told me it will feel like a curtain lifts but I don't get this feeling.

The newest package insert is ambiguous about dosing interval for tablets but previous one it does state that you should give the first dose upon awakening and 1 or 2 subsequent doses in intervals of 4 to 6 hours.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2006/017078s040lbl.pdf

Edit: I just looked up the labeling for the Teva brand generic and such wording is still included.

In pediatric patients 6 years of age and older, start with 5 mg once or twice daily; daily dosage may be raised in increments of 5 mg at weekly intervals until optimal response is obtained. Only in rare cases will it be necessary to exceed a total of 40 mg per day.

Give first dose on awakening; additional doses (1 or 2) at intervals of 4 to 6 hours.

Last edited: