• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc What mental issues interfere with getting high?

cletusSamboy

Bluelighter
Do certain mental health issues like adhd, depression and anhedonia dull or mess up the high that drugs are supposed to cause? I've noticed I never get real pleasure off meth, crack, coke, h, oxy, amp, weed, alcohol, ghb. Main effects tend to just be a mixture of things like mood lift, reduced worry and stress, reduced inhibitions, relaxation, and boosted confidence rather than any kind of euphoric mental or physical bliss or exhilaration that makes me wanna become a regular user.

I think add/adhd makes certain drugs difficult to enjoy... for example I am someone with no anxiety but focus issues and despise benzos lol. I cannot focus and they do absolutely nothing for me. Others plagued by anxiety? Potential benzodiazepine addicts for life.. I do notice things like opioids make my focus worse..

Marijuana may improve my focus more than stimulants weirdly. I think there are ample studies on that topic! I'm assuming anyone with adhd would struggle focusing on any drug not a stimulant--more than the normal issues with focusing that one has sober / and is plagued by focus problems their entire life.

I have social and generalized anxiety and/or autism spectrum disorder, and ADD which progressed into ADHD. For me most drugs tend to be beneficial, everything stimulating (stims obviously, but also empathogens, dissociatives, even opioids as long as no tolerance involved) tend to ease my symptoms. At last, they're euphoriants which raise dopamine levels and dopamine is what is lacking in ADHD. Downers on the other hand, specially benzos, were never recreational for me, they leave me depressed. Alcohol is but only during the short lived stimulatory window which opens up upon fast ingestion of ethanol.

Caffeine is the possibly worst example out of all more widely used drugs, it only works when I'm seriously tired and even then comes with an uneasy edge. Other stims are good unless overdosed, which is a small margin with most of them, even 18mg XR methylphenidate can be too much until tolerance begins to raise.

I think that psychosis, or a history thereof, is what really interferes with getting high. I caught a cup full of psychosis from chronic sleep deprivation and too many dissociatives done together and it wasn't pleasant at all. Imagine your brain misinterpreting the noise of driving-by cars or flowing water to voices shouting and whispering at you.