• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids What makes heroin so much more destructive/addicting than oxy?

GetMeOutOfThisCRAP

Bluelighter
I lived with a roomate and we both got into the oxy game together (brilliant idea), doing it occasionally until occasionally was everyday and probably multiple times daily. Like many he switched to heroin intranasally to save money and get more bang for his buck. He was able to hide his habits for a very long time but as soon as he made that switch it was dead obvious even on his face, and any self control he had with opiates was obliterated by heroin. The difference between our behavior was a lot as I stuck using oxy where as he had changed so much after substituting oxy with street-bought heroin.

SO how does the heroin high compare to oxy and why is it so significantly more addicting? Is it obectively "the best feeling" opiate?

Last edited:
It’s cheap, easy to come across, and relatively potent. Also the fact that it must be smoked, insuffalated, and injected make it more addictive. Heroin and fentanyl have brought my life to ruins.

It’s cheap, easy to come across, and relatively potent. Also the fact that it must be smoked, insuffalated, and injected make it more addictive. Heroin and fentanyl have brought my life to ruins.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope that you find a way out :)

I lived with a roomate and we both got into the oxy game together (brilliant idea), doing it occasionally until occasionally was everyday and probably multiple times daily. Like many he switched to heroin intranasally to save money and get more bang for his buck. He was able to hide his habits for a very long time but as soon as he made that switch it was dead obvious even on his face, and any self control he had with opiates was obliterated by heroin. The difference between our behavior was a lot as I stuck using oxy where as he had changed so much after substituting oxy with street-bought heroin.

SO how does the heroin high compare to oxy and why is it so significantly more addicting? Is it obectively "the best feeling" opiate?

Lets assume we are talking about clean heroin with no real cuts. It is at least three times more potent then oxycodone. When snorted, it is rapidly absorbed in minutes. You are essentially getting a large dose of morphine into your brain very rapidly. This instant gratification is addicting to many people. Oxycodone is strong and is very well absorbed orally in the body. It takes closer to an hour to get into your system. I would agree that based on the rapid onset of heroin/diamorphine, that would significantly contribute to it being more addicting, along with its potency. Oxycodone has a different chemical profile. It seems to be a matter of preference as to which one is more addicting. Oxycodone has more of a stimulating effect while Heroin is more of a downer effect, IMO. That was simply an example. I am not here to explain a high. That in itself is a matter of opinion and is not HR.

Thanks for the reply. Would you say it is also way harder to deal with the withdrawals and come off of?

It's because the euphoria of pure heroin makes oxycodone look typical in comparison.

When I was younger I sadly had access to opiates junkies can only dream of. Hundreds of 160mg original oxy's, 100mg morphine sulfates, roxi's, percs, hydrocodone, 100ug fentanyl patches, seriously you name it I had it available to me. Thank god I didn't really even enjoy opiates when I started and it took time before oxycodone finally grew on me, aka got dependent.

It was around the time I got dependent on oxy that I first tried heroin. I began grabbing "normal" bags and it felt a lot like oxy in terms of euphoria. But I'll never forget that first time trying pure heroin.

I was drunk and sobering up, feeling like garbage. My friend offered me the smallest bump and I've never felt more perfect in my life. It took away my nausea/hangover and I was the most social outgoing guy in the joint. The euphoria was beyond anything I'd ever tried.

Pure heroin (not easy to find these days, even back then it wasn't) was the only drug I ever tried that instantly replaced all other drugs and activities for me. Before even with oxy I still wanted to drink here n there, smoke weed, do some cocaine, hang with friends, etc... On the pure nothing mattered but dope, I would literally sit in my dingy garage, shoot up then lay on a cot til morning. Life revolved solely around heroin.

The euphoria and effect cannot be matched.. I still miss it 10yrs later but I tell myself I could never find heroin that pure again so it keeps me clean. Plus I prefer feeling almost normal on 1mg bupe these days.

-GC

I tried H the past few days it sucks I snort a whole capsule and don?t feel nothing ... I take Oxys usually 120 mg at a time

Stop doing heroin if you live in the US unless you get fentanyl testing kit, you will die (most heroin in the northeast US is tainted don't know about the rest of the country.)

I stopped doing heroin after realizing this and that it's a death with went to subs now on kratom for maintenance.

When heroin was heroin it wasn't more destructive or addicting IMO (as a snorter, never shot) it's just an opiate. I even prefered the oxy high it was just expensive as fuck.

As for someone who got addicted while another friend didn?t, I can tell you it was mainly our mindset going into the opiates. My friend and I did the same thing around the age of 17-18 with the oxys. The thing with oxys though, is you had to kinda plan the experience almost like an taking E sometimes because it was hard to find and expensive.
When we did oxy we treated it more of like a rare substance that we ?reward? ourselves with.
Once heroin came in the picture it takes the entire difficulty of obtaining oxy and the price of it away to where now doing extremely potent opiates no longer has to be a ?rare reward? you can pick it up easily and for cheap.
My other friend kept that reward mentality and eventually his tolerance got too high so he just stopped doing opiates altogether because he felt he wasn?t getting the euphoria that he wanted anymore and was spending a lot of money even though he was only dosing 1-2 times a week, not like a daily junkie.

Well I continued trying to find a way to ?reward? myself instead of dropping opiates altogether and because of that he never got into drugs and I did severely for 7 years straight :/

Also to be fair I for some reason had no idea what physical dependence was I think my friend did, that would have made him more cautious than I was