• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Miscellaneous What kind of drugs are going to appear in the future?

AfterGlow said:
I think pharma would try to avoid developing new drugs that have a high potential for abuse. So maybe the best drugs are already here??

MDMA, 2C-B, salvinorin A etc aren't the product of pharmaceutical lcompanies (unless you count the original synthesis of MDMA by E Merck in 1912!), but of researchers investigating either structural activity relationships or receptor binding studies. That's the source of a lot of inspiration for modifications or completely novel drugs, and among those there must be some that surpass the original starting inspiration eg starting from either methylphenidate or cathinone there's a direct development line to MDPV, something that was unknown half a decade ago.

I somehow doubt that we've seen the best there is to see w.r.t. just about every class of drug covered here

Whenever suppositories get mentioned I'm reminded of that line from 'Trainspotting' about the palfium suppositories...

"for all the good they are, I might as well just shove them up my arse..." =D

Cool question.

I bet there will be a day when they find a drug that sends you into a REM state.

Maybe there will be a drug that makes you cold/ hot.

I have heard people only use 10-15% of their brains capacity. Maybe there will be a drug that increases this greatly.

bacterial/viruses. organisms which illicit altered states of consciousness.

"dude, I just took the new moi moi virus and am spun as fuck!!"

IntergalacticMagic said:
I have heard people only use 10-15% of their brains capacity. Maybe there will be a drug that increases this greatly.
The 10% thing is a myth. We use our whole brain. That's not to say that we use it as optimally as possible, though; so it's not inconceivable that we'll see truly effective nootropics that massively enhance processing efficiency. Then again, our brains are pretty damn efficient information processing devices as it is; so it could be pretty tricky finding ways to improve efficiency without damaging something else. For example... one route to go down might be to look at trying to reduce the neuronal refractory period (thus allowing higher firing rates, and thus - among other things - increasing the range of frequencies with which information can be coded)... but the interpretation of information in every part of the brain depends on that refractory period: radically changing it could well upset vital systems. Still, it's an interesting possibility.

Personally, I'd like to see (and think it's possible, though I'm not sure how likely it is) developments in understanding of psychedelic drugs alongside developments in research on neural correlates of consciousness (and ideally alongside developments in society too; one can hope) leading to a much more specific and concrete understanding of the parameters of human conscious experience, how brain states affect those parameters, and how drugs affect those brain states; such that specific drugs could be effectively designed to engender visits to particular regions of consciousness-space.

"Did you know that most normal people use 10% of their brains...I am now one of those people." (Bart Simpson on 'Focusin').

Anyway, I wonder where the goofy 10% of the brain bullshit originated from. I mean, the brain uses up an extraordinary amount of energy, something like 1/3 of the calories we consume. If 90% of it were completely epiphenomenal, wouldn't it have been selected against by natural evolution a long while ago? Natural selection tends not to favor massive energy expending processes that are just there for shits and giggles. Perhaps you only use 10% of the brain to sustain basic core autonomic functions like breathing, but if you truly only ever used that 10%, you would be in a coma.

Perhaps the figure came about because we only use ~10% of our brains at any given time? I'm just speculating as I have no idea.

^^^^

I think thats the whole idea, the fact that we only use 10% at any given time.. I think its still a myth but I'm no doctor..

If it is indeed true, does anyone know how much of our brains were used back in the day? 1%? that doesn't make sense?

invert said:
Personally, I'd like to see (and think it's possible, though I'm not sure how likely it is) developments in understanding of psychedelic drugs alongside developments in research on neural correlates of consciousness (and ideally alongside developments in society too; one can hope) leading to a much more specific and concrete understanding of the parameters of human conscious experience, how brain states affect those parameters, and how drugs affect those brain states; such that specific drugs could be effectively designed to engender visits to particular regions of consciousness-space.

Ditto.

IntergalacticMagic said:
Cool question.

I bet there will be a day when they find a drug that sends you into a REM state.

Maybe there will be a drug that makes you cold/ hot.

There are already drugs that do the above actions on the body, just some of them are still purely in the realms of pharmacology research.

As for the 10% story, just because we only understand 10% of total brain functioning doesn't mean that the other 90% isn't being used (things like memory retreival/storage aren't operating at their full capacity all the time, so can give a false impression of 'brain usage')

Riemann Zeta said:
I mean, the brain uses up an extraordinary amount of energy, something like 1/3 of the calories we consume. If 90% of it were completely epiphenomenal, wouldn't it have been selected against by natural evolution a long while ago? Natural selection tends not to favor massive energy expending processes that are just there for shits and giggles. Perhaps you only use 10% of the brain to sustain basic core autonomic functions like breathing, but if you truly only ever used that 10%, you would be in a coma.

Diet is a huge part of what caused an increased cranial capacity. Back in the paleolithic day, like 2.5 million years ago, Homo habilis broke with the Australopithicus tradition of being a vegetarian and started eating meat and by the time Homo appeared brain growth had become a pretty big deal.

It's a weird thing about Homo sapiens though, because they already have more than enough cognitive capacity to survive and we kinda hit the evolutionary jack-pot or something.

psychedelic amphetamines seem to be the big new wave eh? Abuse of prescription medicines are on the rise consistently also. evil corporations

this molecule right here
...................___......N..
..................|......\__/....
..........\.......|___/.........
...........\..__/......\.........
............O....\___/.........
.............__./.......\.........
......F__/..............O.......
........../.\..............|........
.........F...F.............|........

or this molecule right here
................................N..
..................Br.....__/....
..........\.......|___/.........
...........\..__/......\_Br....
............O....\___/.........
.............__./.......\.........
......F__/..............O.......
........../.\..............|........
.........F...F.............|........

Last edited:
That phenethylamine has entirely way too much going on for it to be active--I highly doubt a 2,3,4,5,6-substituted PEA is going to be psychedelic. And the substitutions are in all the wrong places on the tryptamine. But I assume you were joking anyway.

those are both phenethylamines...

dibromo mescaline is an active visual drug... the only diference is a trifloropropyl group.

and on the other chem that extra ring right there makes mescaline five times as potent as regular mescaline. again with the only diference being the trifloropropyl

Lysergic Mari-amphetacocaopiatemine Diethylamide will be the next big thing. OR LMaD for short.