• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

What is wrong with the MDMA available today? - v2

Its not spam.
In the strict sense of the term, no one accused you of spamming. In the looser definition, yes it is irrelevant and irritating, never mind uninsightful and unnecessary.

I first used mdma about ten years ago, before the "mehdma". Used to roll hard. Now the "mehdma" doesn't work for me anymore. It's not an isomers issue.
Oh well thank you for solving that issue for all of us. Didn't realize we had such an expert in our midst. I marvel at your ability to rule out "an isomers issue", but given that vast well of experience you have to draw upon, it should be no surprise to anyone.

I think this is a brain damage issue
Whoa, @Zephyn, it looks like there are similarly qualified individuals as you on this thread. @Jmoda your opinion is only as good as the facts that it's built on; what facts are you basing this opinion on, or are you just knee-jerk-reacting here with wild, unsubstantiated speculation?

Can we remove posts like this? Some amazing progress is being made here by people and then clowns come in who don't even read the comments and just say "meh, u guyz probably hef brain demege liek me".
I have to agree. Sorry to come down hard here, guys, but you are kinda shitting all over this thread with these unhelpful comments…

Come on, man.

Smooth wavy chart? Does anyone else consider placebos at all, and the reason why such things as "double-blind studies" specifically "double-blind", exist?
I'm just urging you toward skepticism. You're claiming your body is sensitive enough to detect all these little nuances of detail, right down to the comparison between analog and digital and your inclination to re-dose?
Hold on. Help me stay grounded in science. Which compound were we discussing again?

Right, so… this is not what convinces me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'm a man of science.

It's funny. People who consider themselves connoisseurs of drugs develop the idea that their receptors are refined enough to comment on the purity and nature of the chemicals they take. I've been railing elsewhere against people trying to estimate how many mics of LSD they've taken, people always claim to know whether the shit they've take is good or bad, disregarding things like set and setting. Some people even seem to think they've evolved internal GC/MS machines and can distinguish one drug from another.

I've done, just for fun, very small very informal "studies" of people taking an one RC out of several they're experienced with and trying to see if they can tell what is what. They can't. I'm pretty sure I can tell a tryptamine from a phenethylamine, and when you factor in things like come-up time and duration, a psychedelic amphetamine from a 2C-series, but really, the drug experience is incredibly subjective. People's palettes aren't as refined as they think they are. I've played "name that powder" before too. Coke or dope or speed or K are plenty different but when it comes to RCs, all bets are off.

What's more, as another example, based entirely on my assumptions due to my subjective experience, I've been running around for years talking about how serotonergic 4-MAR is. I was just reading a few papers and it turns out to be highly selective for dopamine except in high doses. MA is more serotonergic! I simply had done 4-MAR without researching it's pharmacology and said "hey, this feels serotonergic."

My point is that drug experiences are highly subjective, influenced by set, setting and experience. I believe it was Tim Leary who did a study where people experienced with LSD were given a low dose and told it was a high dose, and vice versa, they largely agreed with what they were told they had taken. Similarly when you get so drugs that everyone is saying are good, or by your estimation look good, or whatever, that has a huge influence. So too does the attitude of "MDMA isn't good anymore."

Yes, people do have experiences contrary to their expectations, and that's probably a better indicator of drug quality than an experience in accordance with expectations (i.e. if the drug surprises you as being good or bad when you expect it to be the opposite.) Still, though, have to keep in mind set and setting.

Subjective experiences are worth something, but have to be taken with a whole shaker or salt and a lot of context. Objective data does support there being issues with some MDMA but connecting that to people's subjective opinions, often tinged with nostalgia, has to be approached with a degree of skepticism.

If one were to acquire some confirmed pure MDMA, and some that's confirmed to have some of the problematic compounds mentioned in this thread, a casual experiment like the one I mentioned above might be possible. I'd love to hear about that if anyone is game and is situated to do it.

Even if someone has some pills they consider to be good E and some pills they consider questionable E. Crush those suckers up, put them in an opaque capsule or otherwise make sure you don't know which is which. Have a friend give you one or the othe while he knows which is which and you don't. See if you can tell. It's hardly a publishable study but it starts to approach science. I know someone who's reading this has the necessities on hand. Do it* for science.

* safely, and assuming you're gonna eat those rolls anyway

In the strict sense of the term, no one accused you of spamming. In the looser definition, yes it is irrelevant and irritating, never mind uninsightful and unnecessary.

Oh well thank you for solving that issue for all of us. Didn't realize we had such an expert in our midst. I marvel at your ability to rule out "an isomers issue", but given that vast well of experience you have to draw upon, it should be no surprise to anyone.

Whoa, @Zephyn, it looks like there are similarly qualified individuals as you on this thread. @Jmoda your opinion is only as good as the facts that it's built on; what facts are you basing this opinion on, or are you just knee-jerk-reacting here with wild, unsubstantiated speculation?

I have to agree. Sorry to come down hard here, guys, but you are kinda shitting all over this thread with these unhelpful comments…
Perhaps it was a bit too subtle, but you clearly didnt catch my sleight against zephyn. His answers were nonsensical to me so i was inferring he had brain damage and that his comment was an example of that, which is why i quoted him and said "i think this is a brain damage issue"

Last edited:
Come on, man.

Smooth wavy chart? Does anyone else consider placebos at all, and the reason why such things as "double-blind studies" specifically "double-blind", exist?
I'm just urging you toward skepticism. You're claiming your body is sensitive enough to detect all these little nuances of detail, right down to the comparison between analog and digital and your inclination to re-dose?
Hold on. Help me stay grounded in science. Which compound were we discussing again?

Right, so… this is not what convinces me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'm a man of science.
Yeah and thats fine that you are. Im glad that you are. Maybe i will run some home double blind tests if possible haha. Its just that that damn 3m waiting time....

That being said, yes, believe it or not the action of the roll has been consistent for these batches where at the two hour mark, every time, it noticeably drops. I dont really know what else to say about it except that it happens to everyone that takes it (i wont even tell people which batch and theyll notice it). It seems like we are on a pretty good trajectory that byproducts can alter the experience...lets see where it takes us.

Perhaps it was a bit too subtle, but you clearly didnt catch my sleight against zephyn. His answers were nonsensical to me so i was inferring he had brain damage and that his comment was an example of that, which is why i quoted him and said "i think this is a brain damage issue"
Your sarcasm was apparent to me, Jmoda. :)

@unodelacosa - Some of the terminology that has sprung up in this thread for ease of communication such as "magic" vs. "meh" is simply the diction that was born out of the conversation. Jmoda is not using the term "magic" with the intent that it is scientific. It is just our lingo. It is the difference between a text message (i'm headed to the store bbl) and a cover letter (Dear Sir or Madame:). This is a casual thread that is discussing science, we are not writing an official research proposal yet.

I think we all agree that we want to get to a place where more objective data is being gathered. However, please remember that anecdotal evidence is often the first stage of a study in the field of psychology. I personally think there is enough anecdotal evidence and enough similar patterns in that evidence to indicate an underlying issue of some kind (not to mention the published research).

Its not spam. I first used mdma about ten years ago, before the "mehdma". Used to roll hard. Now the "mehdma" doesn't work for me anymore. It's not an isomers issue.
I think when you would read the other posts we are past the theory that this is only about isomers.

Have a friend give you one or the othe while he knows which is which and you don't.
This is single-blind, btw. If you're gonna go through that much trouble, you might as well set it up so the friend is also unaware which opaque pill contains what. They should only know if they gave you "Pill A" or "Pill B" and that info isn't shared until the end of the experiment, nor does the conductor of the test (your friend) know which version is in Pill A nor Pill B. That info is recorded by a third party, or by you as long as you remain ignorant as to which Pill, A || B, you took… This "blindness" by both the researcher and the test subject is paramount. Remember: observing an event causes the observer to affect the event observed as it causes quantum, probabilistic superpositions to collapse into one, certain position that we can only calculate probabilites for, and this blows my mind hard, still. Just look at the double-slit experiment w/r/t light somehow existing as both a particle and a wave, collapsing into one or the other depending on how it is observed. Excuse me while I collect my brains that have blown out like a Texas power grid. (yeah yeah, topical humor is lame; I know. Lecturing myself so you don't have to)

you clearly didnt catch my sleight against zephyn.
No, I guess I didn't. Apologies. I'm typically a big fan of sarcasm, but it can be more difficult to detect in written word vs spoken… kinda like our elusive MDDMA, huh? (ahh, ya see what I did there? lol)

at the two hour mark, every time, it noticeably drops.
This reminds me a lot of a batch of MDE (3,4-methylenedioxyethylamphetamine) synthesized c.2001 by just substituting nitroethane for nitromethane in a MDP2P → MDMA reduction, converting the ketone intermediate into → MDMA or MDE.

Conveniently, methylamine or ethylamine is produced in situ this way rather than by side-synthesis (Fun facts: methylamine smells like rotting fish and ethylamine smells very similar to ammonia with a touch of that same fishy odor. It's gross and illegal. Kind of a two-for like that. The reactions are low-yielding and will also create side-products—dimethylamine/diethylamine and trimethylamine/triethylamine. Here's some literature on the topic in case anyone cares to read about it. It's relevant since this is likely one of the culprits behind side-product MDDMA contamination in black market "MDMA". To wit: it's likely the chemist synthesized their own methylamine but failed to separate it sufficiently from dimethylamine and possibly trimethylamine as well. This person might remain ignorant to the issue while still churning out MDDMA-contaminated product.

https://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/methylamine.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylamine

I suppose this is the better thing to be the case instead of apathy, laziness, and greed. Ignorance is slightly more forgivable here.

But so in my instance (well after the statute of limitations)… homemade piperonyl methyl ketone (PMK aka MDP-2-P) was the intermediate. Nothing else about the reductive amination I was using needed to be changed. I just subbed CH₃CH₂NO₂ in for CH₃NO₂ (or one could as easily substitute ethylamine for methylamine in this reaction with the same results). This reduction was a method of which Dr. Shulgin was particularly fond, going off of the reported routes to synthesis in PiHKAL. But who knows? Darrell Lemaire probably had a lot to do with many of those entries in Book 2, he just had to remain uncredited due to the law and maybe his own preference (or both).

But back then, my source for nitromethane also stocked nitroethane, so I figured, what the hell? Why not check it out? MDE I mean, to Pepsi challenge it with MDMA.

In summary, its effects are like an inferior version of MDMA with a shortened duration of action: almost invariably ~2 hrs. Some people, unsatisfied, chased the high, but this was an exercise in futility, as much as chasing the high usually is with MDMA. The difference is: MDMA produces a ~4-hour high while MDE produces a roughly ~2-hour high. Each drugs' duration is shortened if insufflated.

So to me, MDE sounds incredibly similar to how some others have described the so-called "meh" product and it's difficult to distinguish from MDDMA with GC-MS because they each have the exact same empirical formula, molecular weight, and same basic structure. Yet, I've not seen anything that indicates MDE counteracts MDMA, nor has that been my experience, and I've mixed them, (knowingly and for my own consumption only). However, there is at least one paper, published in a journal, elucidating some of the pharmacokinetics of MDDMA as being countering in effect to MDMA.

It's going to take a lot of confirming and more tests and theories and whatnot and I still remain skeptical until then, but it's not as implausible as I first thought until I learned of new evidence and pharmacokinetic mechanisms at play in the 5-HT synapse and pre-synaptic storage sites.

@unodelacosa We've got papers now on 4 compounds that interfere with MDMA and 3 of them have been reported in the journals as being found in seized MDMA samples.

To me I'm thinking loosely along the lines of sloppy synthesis = higher ratio of non-mdma to mdma, some of which will directly interfere and the rest simply taking up weight. So I guess the only question left is to quantify how much of these by-products is present in typical mdma these days. And it appears this quantification (and perhaps even proper identification) isn't what we're getting from the lab services available to us users.

Take MDDMA for example. If that the MDMA to MDDMA ratio is in the ball park of 4:1 then that's what the paper's author was guessing may result in the 'meh' effect. So really, isn't this whole discussion coming down to how much of the wrong stuff is in the pills or powder available on the markets at the moment?

@unodelacosa We've got papers now on 4 compounds that interfere with MDMA and 3 of them have been reported in the journals as being found in seized MDMA samples.

To me I'm thinking loosely along the lines of sloppy synthesis = higher ratio of non-mdma to mdma, some of which will directly interfere and the rest simply taking up weight. So I guess the only question left is to quantify how much of these by-products is present in typical mdma these days. And it appears this quantification (and perhaps even proper identification) isn't what we're getting from the lab services available to us users.

Take MDDMA for example. If that the MDMA to MDDMA ratio is in the ball park of 4:1 then that's what the paper's author was guessing may result in the 'meh' effect. So really, isn't this whole discussion coming down to how much of the wrong stuff is in the pills or powder available on the markets at the moment?
That is my current line of thinking. Which byproducts are present and how much is present?

If we believe the published research, then "Gimeno et al. substantiated that MDDM can be formed during the clandestine manufacture of MDMA by reductive amination of 3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl-2-propanone (MDP2P) by dimethylamine [20, 21]. This MDDM formation takes place because of the presence of dimethylamine as a contaminant in methylamine [22]."

Link: https://sci-hub.st/10.1007/s00414-006-0094-x
Title: Postmortem distribution of 3,4-methylenedioxy-N, N-dimethyl-amphetamine (MDDM or MDDA) in a fatal MDMA overdose
Author: De Letter, E. A.

It may not even be due to sloppy synth exactly, but to pre-existing impurities in purchased precursors.

And, I think individual genetics probably play a part in how impacted you will be by the monoamine inhibition.

It's funny. People who consider themselves connoisseurs of drugs develop the idea that their receptors are refined enough to comment on the purity and nature of the chemicals they take. I've been railing elsewhere against people trying to estimate how many mics of LSD they've taken, people always claim to know whether the shit they've take is good or bad, disregarding things like set and setting. Some people even seem to think they've evolved internal GC/MS machines and can distinguish one drug from another.

I've done, just for fun, very small very informal "studies" of people taking an one RC out of several they're experienced with and trying to see if they can tell what is what. They can't. I'm pretty sure I can tell a tryptamine from a phenethylamine, and when you factor in things like come-up time and duration, a psychedelic amphetamine from a 2C-series, but really, the drug experience is incredibly subjective. People's palettes aren't as refined as they think they are. I've played "name that powder" before too. Coke or dope or speed or K are plenty different but when it comes to RCs, all bets are off.

What's more, as another example, based entirely on my assumptions due to my subjective experience, I've been running around for years talking about how serotonergic 4-MAR is. I was just reading a few papers and it turns out to be highly selective for dopamine except in high doses. MA is more serotonergic! I simply had done 4-MAR without researching it's pharmacology and said "hey, this feels serotonergic."

My point is that drug experiences are highly subjective, influenced by set, setting and experience. I believe it was Tim Leary who did a study where people experienced with LSD were given a low dose and told it was a high dose, and vice versa, they largely agreed with what they were told they had taken. Similarly when you get so drugs that everyone is saying are good, or by your estimation look good, or whatever, that has a huge influence. So too does the attitude of "MDMA isn't good anymore."

Yes, people do have experiences contrary to their expectations, and that's probably a better indicator of drug quality than an experience in accordance with expectations (i.e. if the drug surprises you as being good or bad when you expect it to be the opposite.) Still, though, have to keep in mind set and setting.

Subjective experiences are worth something, but have to be taken with a whole shaker or salt and a lot of context. Objective data does support there being issues with some MDMA but connecting that to people's subjective opinions, often tinged with nostalgia, has to be approached with a degree of skepticism.

If one were to acquire some confirmed pure MDMA, and some that's confirmed to have some of the problematic compounds mentioned in this thread, a casual experiment like the one I mentioned above might be possible. I'd love to hear about that if anyone is game and is situated to do it.

Even if someone has some pills they consider to be good E and some pills they consider questionable E. Crush those suckers up, put them in an opaque capsule or otherwise make sure you don't know which is which. Have a friend give you one or the othe while he knows which is which and you don't. See if you can tell. It's hardly a publishable study but it starts to approach science. I know someone who's reading this has the necessities on hand. Do it* for science.

This article seems to suggest otherwise on the 4-MAR comment, showing 4-MAR a slight bit more serotonetgic in the SERT to DAT ratios.

I see further in the link a comment regarding the two studies you mention (I believe) but yet they (the link authors) still list 4-MAR as more serotonergic. Those studies are also from 01 and 14.

While I agree many people have a poor ability to discern nuances in experiences, others can. Unfortunately everything thinks they’re the latter.. I’ve been able to feel things that were later proven right by analysis or some other way, on so many occasions it’s shocking to both myself and those that witnessed it. I also have spent my life making it a point to try new and exotic substances always honing my repertoire.

That said, even I have been fooled on a couple of occasions. Placebo is real but IMO placebo only lasts so long.

I like to tell the story of the time my mom gave me a couple of “zolpidem” to help me sleep. It being my dear mother I had no reason to distrust her.

First night I took them about 90% effective. A little weak but mostly fine. Next night only about 20-30%... That’s weird as fuck? Maybe it’s tolerance. Third night zero effects.

I finally decided to look up the pill to find she gave me some wrong, inactive medication. I had placebo’ed myself. But also in doing so felt I learned something valuable.

Every substance can get ya fooled on the first try, but every substance will also eventually show itself if used a couple of times or more to become familiar. That’s why I tell people to buy in bulk so they can become familiar with a certain batch and how it treats them.

-GC

I know youve already stated that it is subjective, but im just picturing someone with a shit palette saying all wine tastes the same.

Maybe you have a shit palette and therefore your subjective point is moot. Maybe not.

Seems like we are stuck in a big maybe.

This article seems to suggest otherwise on the 4-MAR comment, showing 4-MAR a slight bit more serotonetgic in the SERT to DAT ratios.

I see further in the link a comment regarding the two studies you mention (I believe) but yet they (the link authors) still list 4-MAR as more serotonergic. Those studies are also from 01 and 14.

While I agree many people have a poor ability to discern nuances in experiences, others can. Unfortunately everything thinks they’re the latter.. I’ve been able to feel things that were later proven right by analysis or some other way, on so many occasions it’s shocking to both myself and those that witnessed it. I also have spent my life making it a point to try new and exotic substances always honing my repertoire.

That said, even I have been fooled on a couple of occasions. Placebo is real but IMO placebo only lasts so long.

I like to tell the story of the time my mom gave me a couple of “zolpidem” to help me sleep. It being my dear mother I had no reason to distrust her.

First night I took them about 90% effective. A little weak but mostly fine. Next night only about 20-30%... That’s weird as fuck? Maybe it’s tolerance. Third night zero effects.

I finally decided to look up the pill to find she gave me some wrong, inactive medication. I had placebo’ed myself. But also in doing so felt I learned something valuable.

Every substance can get ya fooled on the first try, but every substance will also eventually show itself if used a couple of times or more to become familiar. That’s why I tell people to buy in bulk so they can become familiar with a certain batch and how it treats them.

-GC
I would put up $10k as a bet that i could tell between my two mdma batches if given one randomly. I am that confident in the contrast and consistency.

Well my first thought was perhaps a very careful, arduous, fractional vacuum distillation. But it's likely the boiling points might still be too close. Let's see, I'm cracking open my copy of The Shulgin Index to look up the entry on MDDM (or as it's listed in the book, MDDMA).

MDDMA freebase's boiling point is listed as "85-88 °C/0.15 mm (Braun et al., 1980)".
Meanwhile MDMA freebase boils at "100-110 °C/0.4 mm."

Maybe don't totally rule that one out. However, in the same reference manual under the entry for MDDMA, it notes:

I'm thinking a proper chromatography column is what you would need. Not "high performance" or "GC-MS", just simple separation…

So how do you go about identifying which fractions contain the MDMA vs e.g the MDDMA?

Your sarcasm was apparent to me, Jmoda. :)
Again, my bad, @Jmoda. To be fair, when I read it at face value I thought it was inconsistent with some of the other things you've commented with which I generally agree.

@unodelacosa - Some of the terminology that has sprung up in this thread for ease of communication such as "magic" vs. "meh" is simply the diction that was born out of the conversation.
Obviously. I'm not adhering to any particular academic standards when I post either, no MLA format. I think the term "MDMmeh" > "MehDMA", but it's amusing nonetheless. However, I have to disagree, respectfully, that using the terms "magic" and "meh" are "diction that was born out of the conversation". Calling something unremarkable "meh" wasn't invented here and even Dr. Shulgin had a "magic half-dozen", so I get it, but Dr. Shulgin also wrote PiHKAL and TiHKAL, so he gets a pass, lol.

Anyway, yes anecdotal reports are important, but there's a limit to how many we actually need. I guess I understand some of the frustrations you yourself have mentioned in this very thread now.

Jmoda is not using the term "magic" with the intent that it is scientific.
Clearly. I'm hoping you're overstating the obvious for rhetorical purposes here.

It is just our lingo.
Not sure what you mean by "our lingo". It is not unique to call a thing "meh" or "magic", and yes I picked up on the use of these terms.

It is the difference between a text message (i'm headed to the store bbl) and a cover letter (Dear Sir or Madame:). This is a casual thread that is discussing science, we are not writing an official research proposal yet.
Why are you giving me an ELI5?

I think we all agree that we want to get to a place where more objective data is being gathered. However, please remember that anecdotal evidence is often the first stage of a study in the field of psychology. I personally think there is enough anecdotal evidence and enough similar patterns in that evidence to indicate an underlying issue of some kind (not to mention the published research).
Exactly. We're probably good on the anecdotes and subjective opinions.

showing 4-MAR a slight bit more serotonetgic in the SERT to DAT ratios.
I was thinking this when I first read that comment, too. I recall reading that 4-MAR is serotonergic from a good source. However, I have to disagree with your assessment of placebos – it's unreal how potent and ubiquitous placebos are, many of them right under our proverbial noses without us knowing (or up our noses more like it).

I know youve already stated that it is subjective, but im just picturing someone with a shit palette saying all wine tastes the same.
Maybe you have a shit palette and therefore your subjective point is moot. Maybe not.
EXACTLY – wine-tasting has been debunked as pseudoscience monkey-garbage. Wine experts are all full of shit, whether they realize it or not https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jun/23/wine-tasting-junk-science-analysis

Here's "The Legendary Study That Embarrassed Wine Experts Across the Globe" → https://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/08/the_most_infamous_study_on_wine_tasting.html

It was also on the TV show, Adam Ruins Everything → https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PeKcWCC-tw

No one who grants money to research gives a fuck about anyone's subjective experience and their claims of personal accuracy and blah³. You can't just pretend the scientific method doesn't matter. It very much does still matter and for good reasons at that.

I would put up $10k as a bet that i could tell between my two mdma batches if given one randomly. I am that confident in the contrast and consistency.
Makes zero difference, and your confidence only confirms your bias. Come on, man; you're smarter than this.

So how do you go about identifying which fractions contain the MDMA vs e.g the MDDMA?
Gas chromatography-mass spectroscopy mainly followed by careful analysis of the spectrograph, comparing it to an analytical standard of the pure compound. Here's some literature on the exact subject, in fact:

"GC-MS studies on side-chain regioisomers related to substituted methylenedioxyphenethylamines: MDEA, MDMMA, and MBDB" → https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20875234/

"Chromatographic and spectroscopic methods of identification for the side-chain regioisomers of 3,4-methylenedioxyphenethylamines related to MDEA, MDMMA, and MBDB
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12841949/

It may not even be due to sloppy synth exactly, but to pre-existing impurities in purchased precursors.
This assumes said precursors are coming from an illicit source then, b/c no legitimate supplier would be selling List I chemicals that aren't reagent-grade quality. I've theorized that the chemists themselves are more likely to be producing their own methylamine from ammonia and methanol in the presence of a metal catalyst (something with aluminum, I think). Dimethylamine and trimethylamine are co-products; "the reaction kinetics and reactant ratios determine the ratio of the three products." The reaction kinetics most favor trimethylamine, though evidently dimethylamine is in greater commercial demand. (source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0920586197000035)

I swear I recall having read that there is at least one other major method of MDMA synthesis that results in these side products in small quantities; I think it's a method involving performic acid and also producing the impurity n-formyl-n-methyl-3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine but I don't have any more time or will power to go looking that one up as well. I posted the link much earlier in this thread, so if you wade through enough anecdotes you'll eventually find it somewhere…

So in the case of the dimethyl compound, MDDMA, it has the unique ability to bind to one of two sites, each with a different pharmacological action. MDMA's unique activity comes from the way it binds with high affinity to serotonin sites in the brain and forces a huge release of 5-HT which floods the synapses and makes its way into dopamine sites. However if you take a serotonin reuptake inhibitor, say an SSRI like Paxil or Zoloft, that drug's effects will blockade the serotonin transporter and stop most of MDMA's effects (still has an effect on dopamine and adrenaline, but not worth the time, money, and exposure to neurotoxicity).

Now here's the kicker: MDDM possesses affinity for the sites that will release serotonin, but it also has a weaker affinity to act as a non-selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. This is especially true when coadministered with MDMA which will preferentially and competitively bind to the releasing agent site. Stemming from this fact, it's possible that MDDMA could be forced to blockade completely any would-be effecstasy by—ironically enough—the coadministered MDMA.

Oh and then there's MDTMA (3,4-methylenedioxytrimethylamphetamine), the trimethyl version… so it always binds to inhibit reuptake of 5-HT regardless of any coadministered MDMA or whatever. Either way, both the dimethyl and trimethyl amphetamines seem like they could work in such a manner so as to weaken the pure MDMA experience.

I see this whole thing like this: clandestine chemists should be getting pressured to step their game up and start delivering that next-level purity MDMA from their current MDMA game, because if this above theory turns out being true, then it's only a matter of time before other aspiring underground chemists will know what to do to produce a superior product (hint: purify methylamine; be careful not too use excessive heat during reductive amination). Bringing to light a subject like this could help it get noticed by those very same clandestine chemists. At least this is how the fantasy plays out in my head. They call the occipital lobe the "theater of the mind", you know…

Gas chromatography-mass spectroscopy mainly followed by careful analysis of the spectrograph, comparing it to an analytical standard of the pure compound. Here's some literature on the exact subject, in fact:

"GC-MS studies on side-chain regioisomers related to substituted methylenedioxyphenethylamines: MDEA, MDMMA, and MBDB" → https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20875234/

"Chromatographic and spectroscopic methods of identification for the side-chain regioisomers of 3,4-methylenedioxyphenethylamines related to MDEA, MDMMA, and MBDB
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12841949/

So basically its not realistic for novices to do this column separation at home? I did buy a column, etc, and after two attempts (the first was a mess) I got the method down. But I came unstuck at choice of solvents and the ability to identify which fractions had what.

I see this whole thing like this: clandestine chemists should be getting pressured to step their game up and start delivering that next-level purity MDMA from their current MDMA game, because if this above theory turns out being true, then it's only a matter of time before other aspiring underground chemists will know what to do to produce a superior product (hint: purify methylamine; be careful not too use excessive heat during reductive amination). Bringing to light a subject like this could help it get noticed by those very same clandestine chemists. At least this is how the fantasy plays out in my head. They call the occipital lobe the "theater of the mind", you know…

Totally. Similar to what @indigoaura said, I would hope for:

1) Labs to detect and quantify known or potential inhibitors in the bad samples. Publishing this on a regular basis would start the pressure
2) A proper study on this issue
3) Perhaps a reagent type home test that will allow people to easily work out when there's too much MDDMA in their product (assuming that's the problem and only problem)
4) Then plenty of feedback to vendors until they change their supply

Ok, I know I'm assuming that the hypothesis is correct, but assuming it is, perhaps the above would be the outcome we could want.

@unodelacosa do you have any thoughts on these two substances:

1,3-bis (3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl)-2-propanamine
[ or: α-(3, 4-methylenedioxy) benzyl-(3, 4-methylenedioxy)-phenethylamine ???]

and

N-formyl-1,3-bis (3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl)-prop-2-yl-amine
[ or: α- (3, 4-methylenedioxy) benzyl-N-formyl- (3, 4-methylenedioxy) phenethylamine ???]

Identified in seized mdma and found to inhibit mdma.

Refs:
Pharmacological Characterization of Ecstasy Synthesis Byproducts with Recombinant Human Monoamine Transporters JPET 314:346–354, 2005
Synthesis markers in illegally manufactured 3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine and 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine Int J Leg Med (1993) 106: 19-23

going out of my way to get some magic mdma again lucky i found a old stash of some really good pills i use to do only gonna be a few but will introduce some girls to PROPER MAGIC MDMA they said they took it once and felt nothing. MEH is fucking real all this new shit is fucking donkey tier trash.

@unodelacosa - My point with the "ELI5" was to emphasize that it is pointless to criticize people for saying "magic" and "meh" when those are just the words we settled on to make this conversation easier. OBVIOUSLY we did not invent the words and are not the first people to use them. I used the word "diction" specifically to indicate those words were our choice for this thread, not to mean that we invented the terminology.

As for the set/setting and placebo arguments...there comes a point where that simply does not make sense as an explanation. When you have multiple people making the same complaints about a particular batch of MDMA (often across multiple events and a variety of circumstances), then it seems likely there is legitimacy to the complaints.

If you ask me, there's never been a better time to source drugs. You can order whatever you want from your computer and get a package in the mail of high quality drugs in a few days later. As for mdma, its always made me kind of cold and reclusive unless its paired with a stronger stimulant. I did mda at a rave a couple years ago and all I wanted to do was LEAVE. Mind you I had a great time once I got home.