• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

What is the worst drug to have withdrawals from?

What is the worst drug to have withdrawals from?

• Heroin

Votes: 100 13.5%
  • Methadone

Votes: 98 13.2%
  • Oxymorphone

Votes: 27 3.6%
  • Tramadol

Votes: 22 3.0%
  • Benzodiazepines

Votes: 292 39.3%
  • GHB/GBL

Votes: 20 2.7%
  • Alcohol

Votes: 45 6.1%
  • Meth/Amphetamines

Votes: 39 5.2%
  • Cocaine/Crack

Votes: 13 1.7%
  • Ketamine

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • SSRI/SNRI/MAOI/TCA/TeCA antidepressants

Votes: 21 2.8%
  • Other Opiates/Opioids

Votes: 65 8.7%

• Total voters
For someone w/ a background in pharmacology..? Not surprised benzodiazepines have been voted (as of the time of this post) as the worst to withdrawal from. GABAergic drugs are notoriously hard to wean, cease, stop, etc; relative to opioidergics.

Nice poll, I just wished you divided functional pharmacological groups so I could've voted for my drug/nemesis. I would've divided it as such: GABAergics (benzodiazepines, barbiturates, carbamates, atypicals) for one.. b/c i'm sure you would get A LOT of hits on that from individuals interacting w/ drugs like butalbital--a common barbiturate in fioricet, unscheduled in the US--and carisoprodol, which was easily available but scheduled here in the US in Jan '11 (making it nearly inaccessible from typical online-vendors/source/"pharmacies). & then you have meprobamate & litany of others, too- point is they all function on the same receptor system in the same/similar ways.

Then other groups could include: NMDA antagonists (ketamine, DXM, PCP, memantine), opiates/opioids, GABA-B positive modulators (GHB, GHL, baclofen), Opioidergics (opiates, opioids, kratom, tramadol), Dopamine adrenergics (cocaine, nicocaine, etc), Serotonergic adrenergics & Phenethylamine-stimulants (methamphetamine, amphetamine, methylphenidate, MDMA "bath salts"), or you could perhaps make MDMA & MDxx drugs a secondary group. & include "Extras" like tramadol (which has SNRI action); or methadone (which has minor NMDA antagonist action).. etc etc.

& your antidepressant group is flawed, i'd say...
Focus on grouping drugs based on their functionality--i.e., SNRIs, SSRIs, MAOIs ,etc--not the chemistry of a drug (like groupings such as: TCA, TeCA.. these differentiations are neurologically irrelevant in most cases), Grouping similarities of chemicals may be useful for chemistry, but not for what it DOES... TO people. For example, SNRIs are notoriously hard to get off of--depending on the particular flavor of the candy 8) relative to most SSRIs.

The "worse" is subjective. But, what's a fact is that no matter what your DOC is you're dependent on, the withdrawals get worse and worse the longer you use for and the more times you go back and forth.

So, for some people who are fairly new to using something like heroin, there withdrawals wont be even close to as bad as someone whose been on even something as weak as hydrocodone for 10 years.

The "worse" is subjective. But, what's a fact is that no matter what your DOC is you're dependent on, the withdrawals get worse and worse the longer you use for and the more times you go back and forth.

So, for some people who are fairly new to using something like heroin, there withdrawals wont be even close to as bad as someone whose been on even something as weak as hydrocodone for 10 years.

False (or rather, not quite true): my last opiates detoxes were less painful than the first ones when I didn't know shit about withdrawing and the drugs to help me. Some of my using acquaintances would tell you the same thing.

False (or rather, not quite true): my last opiates detoxes were less painful than the first ones when I didn't know shit about withdrawing and the drugs to help me. Some of my using acquaintances would tell you the same thing.

That makes zero sense.

That makes zero sense.

How come? You can't read English? The first time I detoxed, I was about 16 yo. I thought I couldn't be dependent on such a weak opiate as codeine, even if I had some every day for the last 3-4 months lol. I didn't know shit... Before I realized I was detoxing, I thought I was going crazy, I thought I had contracted some nasty disease... I was ignorant. And young. The last time I detoxed, I used kratom, and I tapered very, very slowly. I also used pregabalin, clonidine and other meds. Well, I did NOT suffer nearly as much as the first time it happened to me. What is the part you don't understand?

That makes zero sense.

The last time I detoxed, I used kratom, and I tapered very, very slowly. I also used pregabalin, clonidine and other meds.

It makes no sense because of that. You tapered, you didnt go through withdrawal.

How come? You can't read English? The first time I detoxed, I was about 16 yo. I thought I couldn't be dependent on such a weak opiate as codeine, even if I had some every day for the last 3-4 months lol. I didn't know shit... Before I realized I was detoxing, I thought I was going crazy, I thought I had contracted some nasty disease... I was ignorant. And young. The last time I detoxed, I used kratom, and I tapered very, very slowly. I also used pregabalin, clonidine and other meds. Well, I did NOT suffer nearly as much as the first time it happened to me. What is the part you don't understand?

I'm talking about actual severity of symptoms once you are fully aware of what's happening.. and despite whatever ignorance one may have as to what is happening to them, it's a fact that the symptoms of withdrawal get more severe after prolonged use and multiple detoxes.

And by the way, how long have you even been using for and how many times have you detoxed..?

It makes no sense because of that. You tapered, you didnt go through withdrawal.

???? I tapered until I took no more... The withdrawal was thus greatly attenuated. What exactly is the part making no sense, please???

I'm talking about actual severity of symptoms once you are fully aware of what's happening.. and despite whatever ignorance one may have as to what is happening to them, it's a fact that the symptoms of withdrawal get more severe after prolonged use and multiple detoxes.

And by the way, how long have you even been using for and how many times have you detoxed..?

I've been using off and on for about thirty years, probably before you were born. And I detoxed dozens of times. Once I knew what was happening in detox, I never let things deteriorate to the point of feeling like dying. I made sure I was ready with a tapering plan and drugs to help me out.

I've been using off and on for about thirty years, probably before you were born. And I detoxed dozens of times. Once I knew what was happening in detox, I never let things deteriorate to the point of feeling like dying. I made sure I was ready with a tapering plan and drugs to help me out.

Good for you. Tapering is a great way to lessen the severity of withdrawal. But cold turkey, if one were to compare their withdrawal after just 2 years of heroin use for example to 10 years... it wouldn't even be close. :\

^The part that makes no sense is you saying that detoxing from opiates gets easier over time, that's just not true....

I think what you're really trying to say, is that, over time you've learned what medications and tapers to use to try and minimize the suffering caused by WDs....If that's what you're trying to say, you should have just said it instead of this...."False!" "Explain what makes no sense!" shit.....

I don't mind debating stuff with people on BL, but I hate it when some "know it all" pops up out the blue and starts acting like a dick with the multiquotes!

Also, if somebody just ran up to me IRL while I was just sitting there having a casual conservation and yelled "False!", my first inclination would be to punch them in the face, but that's just me!

Last edited:
^The part that makes no sense is you saying that detoxing from opiates gets easier over time, that's just not true....

I think what you're really trying to say, is that, over time you've learned what medications and tapers to use to try and minimize the suffering caused by WDs....If that's what you're trying to say, you should have just said it instead of this...."False!" "Explain what makes no sense!" shit.....

I don't mind debating stuff with people on BL, but I hate it when some "know it all" pops up out the blue and starts acting like a dick with the multiquotes!

Also, if somebody just ran up to me IRL while I was just sitting there having a casual conservation and yelled "False!", my first inclination would be to punch them in the face, but that's just me!

Ok, maybe that wasn't clear enough... thanks for rephrasing!

Maybe you don't know who acted like a dick first elsewhere, just sayin'... Your last paragraph was unnecessary, really. Please, don't add anything so this thing dies out like it should. Thanks.