• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

What is the worst drug to have withdrawals from?

What is the worst drug to have withdrawals from?

• Heroin

Votes: 100 13.5%
  • Methadone

Votes: 98 13.2%
  • Oxymorphone

Votes: 27 3.6%
  • Tramadol

Votes: 22 3.0%
  • Benzodiazepines

Votes: 292 39.3%
  • GHB/GBL

Votes: 20 2.7%
  • Alcohol

Votes: 45 6.1%
  • Meth/Amphetamines

Votes: 39 5.2%
  • Cocaine/Crack

Votes: 13 1.7%
  • Ketamine

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • SSRI/SNRI/MAOI/TCA/TeCA antidepressants

Votes: 21 2.8%
  • Other Opiates/Opioids

Votes: 65 8.7%

• Total voters
I can only compare it to oxy and tramadol w/d. Benzos are ALOT worse. It lasts for ages, you can't sleep, you're anxious as hell, feel like crap, get tension headaches. It's really incapacitating. Both oxy and tramadol were tough to withdraw from too, but benzos are by far alot worse ime.

Can't comment about H.

Merged.

And as for your question, SixStrongLines, a quick read through this thread will answer your question.

His shouldn't even be a poll. Benzodiazepines are the worst by far. GHB/GBL coming in second. Alcohol withdrawal is very similar but it has a broader spectrum of effects, hence it's GABA a receptor antagonism is not quite as strong as with benzos.

Yea i hear benzos and alcohol are the worst if your habit is bad enough. Ive only had to withdraw from oxymorphome, heroin and oxycodone though which is by fucking far bad enough. I cant eveb imagine how bad alcohol and benxos must be to come off of because opiates to me are unbearable coming off of...

Im abhuge puss with wihdrrawals though, hense why im stuck back on heroin and have such a fucking hard time coming off

i voted fentanyl (other opiates/oids) because i how extremely excruciating the acute stage is - good thing it's only short lived.

Bupre was a tough one to kick, still thinking about it alot.

I wouldnt want to experience a intense GBL WD's or benzo WD's.

I've done a benzo withdrawal and it was terrible. It made my mind work in a totally different way-Depressed doesn't touch it. Thing too I think about H withdrawal is the mental depression more so than the initial physical sickness. I feel for anyone going through that.

For me Poppy Seed Tea was the worst. Benzos were far more manageable for me but still not very fun. Phenibut was fucked the first time I quit that.

I'm surprised no one has said GHB, that shit is nasty to have withdrawals from I hear.

I said oxymorphone because i have had the most withdrawals from it, but i would imagine heroin could be even worse if you were doing a lot everyday. It's hard to say which is worse, opiate or benzo withdrawal. I guess it really depends on the amount of benzos, and strength, and how long you've been on them, same thing for opiates. benzos have less physical symptoms than opiates, but usually people coming off of high doses of xanax, rohypnol, and/or halcion, would need a very slow and long taper to help be comfortable, otherwise you will have a withdrawal that lasts much longer than opiates, usually a lot of twitching, possible seizures, and a lot of extreme psychological anxiety. It's rare, but it is possible to die from benzodiazepine withdrawal, so if you have a seizure or you're experiencing a lot of twitching or convulsions, get yourself to the ER. It happened to me once, and they had to give me a triple dose of IV valium....I don't know what in a hospital how many mgs 1 "dose" is so I don't know how much he gave me, just that it was so nice for the convulsions to stop and feel ok; so, i would say that benzodiazepines have the potential to be the worst to withdraw from. I don't know a lot about barbiturates since they aren't normally prescribed anymore, aside from phenobarbital occasionally, which has a 2-7 day half-life, but I imagine the withdrawal symptoms from say secobarbital or pentobarbital wouldn't be very pleasant either.

I'm surprised no one has said GHB, that shit is nasty to have withdrawals from I hear.
Only 9% of the posters in this thread have voted. Its pretty safe to say its been mentioned. GABA-ergic drug withdrawals are basically common knowledge to be the worst to withdraw from.

Definitaly Benzo's! The benzo w/d is horrific with the kicks and the not sleeping, and then when you do drift off for 30 seconds or so you are abrubtly kicked awake or you bite down on your teeth so hard that it feels like you broke your teeth off. I find it best to just not even try to sleep. When I am out (of xanax) I just lay awake and watch TV all night or work a puzzle. I have a little dog who sleeps with me and I worry that I might kick him by accident. My experience with xanax w/d is the skin crawling, constantly looking for some I may have tucked away, constant yearning, scared to death, wanting to run out of the house and down the street, don't care about anything except how many hours or days to refill, constantly checking my calander, no ambition, can't get comfortable, and the worst I think is the bounding heart. I can hear and feel my heart beating way to fast. I have learned to sleep sitting up because as soon as I lay down - the heart starts bounding. It feels like it is going to come out of my chest. The other drug I have issues with is soma. I don't have the issues that I have with xanax - but I find myself just craving it so bad. When I am out of soma - I miss it - the feel good that you get with it. With xanax - it just make me feel normal. I have been on xanax for about 30 years.

Yea I went to an inpatient hospital to get off of xanax and got the worst psychiatrist ever. I had been on 2mg of xanax 4 times a day for an entire year, and he weaned me off in 3 days, a couple days after that i was twitching so badly i couldnt even write, and then ther twitching became like mini seizures every 5 secoinds after the first week, then it got so bad i kept falling and hurting myself from the mini seizing and the doc wouldnt wean me off slower he would just tell the nurse to give me 20mg zyprexa zydis, which actually causes seizure like symptoms and made mine worse....I was there nearly 2 weeks by the time i snapped and threw the wheelchair through the nurses station window and broke another one with my elbow. I got put in restraints, and even in them my whole body was spasming. The psychiatrist came in and starting laughing at me and he said "Look I can do that too" and started mimicing my spasming. I don't remember what happened after that they must have given me something that knocked me out because i woke up in a different hospital in like the worst unit for violent type of people. the people there were scary. The new doctor saw what was going on and put me on klonopin immediately, that was years ago, and ive been too afraid to get off benzos since then because of that horrific experience. a couple years later i tried to see if i could press maltreatment charges against the psychiatrist but after 2 years in the state of CA it's to late to file a suit. Bat man that was one of the worse experiences in my entire life

Take it from me, someone who has w/d off almost every drug there is; Benzos take the cake bar none. I'm on my 5th attempt to get off of klonopin I started off on xanax then to Valium now to kpen's and they are all similar except kpen's and Valium last much longer in your system. I've withdrawn from a variety of opiates and IMO from easiest to hardest goes... oxy's, herion, bupe, oxymorphone, then methadone is the worst of opiates. Also came off of 150mg daily habit of adderall wasn't to intense really IMO. After kicking that I kicked an ounce a week crack cocaine habit. This was a little more difficult than adderall but still it's mostly in your head. SSRI's are also not easy to kick but still nothing compares to benzos. I have never done enough meth or drank enough to have those w/d's but I hear alcohol is up there with benzo's. Meth is extremely addictive just not easy to find where I live; thank god. I think the prolonged w/d's of benzos make it so difficult and why I've failed so many time's even going months and relapsing because I couldn't take living in such a hellish environment.

Methadone was the second hardest but I kicked it with extreme pain and am 6 months clean off all drugs except my prescribed klonopin's at 3.5mg a day down from 8mg daily, slowly im working my way down and hopefully this will be the time I can finally push through the agony that is Benzodiazepine Withdrawal.

This poll is by no means going to be accurate because we are all going to pick the drug that we've personally had to withdraw from that we found the hardest, and withdrawals from any given drug vary SO much from person to person, depend on how much they use and for how long, their individual brain/body/mental issues/sensitivity to withdrawals, their level of mental addiction, etc.

I've quit a lot of drugs and for me, definitely methadone is the worst, by far. I would not wish methadone dependence on anyone. The hardest thing about it is that the WDs last SO long, which is so soul-crushing. I would definitely take heroin withdrawal over methadone withdrawal. People have died from methadone withdrawal.

There is always argument over whether opioid withdrawal or benzo withdrawal is worse, I'd say you really can't directly compare them, and it's going to totally depend on the person and their unique situation. Abrupt benzo withdrawal is generally more dangerous. And of course it depends which opioid you're talking about and whether or not you are talking about quitting abruptly vs how difficult it is to taper without serious WDs, just the severity of withdrawals at their peak, or the entire process, length of WDs, physical versus mental/emotional WDs, etc. And it depends on all the factors I mentioned above like length of use and dose. I don't see why it so often seems like it has to be a competition as to whose withdrawals are worse. Someone going through opioid withdrawal shouldn't automatically get less sympathy than someone going through benzo withdrawal. Withdrawals suck! Whatever withdrawal someone is experiencing that has been the worst for them personally is the worst. I have sympathy for people coming off drugs that I personally found relatively easy to WD from.

^agree completely
for me i was on methadone for a year at 200mg's which took over 6 months to come off then the acute w/d's hit you once you hit zero. it is EXTREMELY hard to come off. This drug is no joke compared to any other opiate and ive been on all that I listed above for a year plus and kicked them all and personally nothing touches methadone mentally or physically in the opiate family.

I've been on benzos for over 3 year's and gradually needed more until the point where i feel like im taking a vitamin b/c i feel no effects and have hit a ceiling so im either in w/d or at the highest dose. It sucks. benzos aren't as extreme as far as pain but the lingering and what it does to you mentally will try and break you badly.

I've also come of PCT's aka post cycle testosterone w/d and that wasn't fun at all either.

Last edited:
I don't have much experience with the others, but I must say benzo withdrawals are completely ruining me at the moment. I've had them before, just never this intense. On Sunday I lost control from the waist down, all the muscles in my legs went rigid, then spasmed uncontrollably for a minute. I knew something was up when I couldn't speak/ see/ hear properly, but before that my hands first went numb, then my arms. My heart was going insansely fast before, I tried to measure it, got over 200 bpm, but not 100% sure if that was right, there's a possibility I was hallucinating? I'm so confused, but that was horrible. 66z helped me out so much. Thanks. Also thanks to bluelight for providing me with knowledge of benzo withdrawals, so i could rationalise and understand what was going on.

You must be getting crappy kratom cause my tolerance for opiates was high too and I take kratom now for anxiety/depression and it definitely has a jump to it lol I don't like calling it a high bc I respect kratom but if you have insomnia it'll definitely give you the nods. Maybe it's just me though.......

And yea I've only had straight opiate withdrawal. RLS is shitty but I'd say opiate WD sound like a walk in a shitty run down park compared to benzo which from what I here is a walk in hell.

Last edited by a moderator: