• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What is the difference between a wheel/micron filter and a steri-filt?

the_ketaman

Bluelighter
Ok today I picked up some of both, the steri-filt broke( it wasnt clogged, I was prepping it) the first time I tried to use it though I have never used them before(I have used wheel filters before). Im notsure if it broke coz theyre crap or coz I pused too hard.

I know they look different and all but are they really any different and how should I use a steri-filt?

BTW these days with how cheap you can get weel filters( I get them for free) id even put street drugs through them because even though you may not feel how much healthier it is, im sure it will benefit you in the long run, for sure and I know if I ever bang street drugs again ill be using one.

Thx peoples :)

howdy ketaman good to see your research safer use techniques :) , there are a few subtle differences to the two different types of filters i think you are using.
Firstly there are differnt grades of filtration, usually three- chalk binder size, bacterial and i forget what the other one is off the top of my head.

they work by using pressure to draw a substance (disolved into a solution) through a filter, there are different types of filter makeups, Pic here

the first the sterifit, is designed to work while drawing up a substance out of a container, and does not usually react well to puch through at any pressure higher than mild.

the thermo filters are designed for both this and push through applications where the wheel filter sits betwen the needle and the barrel. they look like the picture [URL="http://www.napnt.org/health/filtering_pills.htm#filters"]here

in a nutshell both work well when used the way they are supposed to, i think the thermo have an advantage if they have the lure lock mechanism on them which seem to be a bit more resistant to pressure. without the lock sometime the filters just pop off the end of the barrel .

vein care brochurefrom a organisation i know well

safer injecting from the same organisation

another great thread from ADD discussion of safer injecting techniques

So do you think if I use wheel filters thats fine, maybe because im trashed now and its late but these steri-filts look and sound difficult.

And yeah I never shoot pills ever these days without a proper filter and it takes me a while to get them so I guess you could say Ive got a lot more control over my use thn i used to. For months and months I sht ills with just cotton but I will never do that again and certain things have scared me from doing it any other way.

Thanks for the word madmick ;)

Micro filters take way too much time but very effective. No idea idea about other type. I've found recently a research centrifuge works the best but not everyone has access to one, ie me ( although i have had a play ).

SteriFilt's can be a little annoying if your not used to using them. The main thing is to let the filter part get a little bit wet, I have noticved they work much, much better if that is done.

How did u 'break' the one you had? It would be good to know that they can break & under what conditions, because then manurfacturing can be improved.

I think your idea of filtering gear thru the wheel filter is a good one, considering they dont screw with the drugs, it can only be of benifit to do; esp when they are free ;)

Here is the site of the sterifit creators, they have a little gif animation there.

http://www.exchangesupplies.org/needle_exchange_supplies/sterifilt/sterifilt_intro.html

I've played with them a fair bit, and havn't had much issue with them, other than making sure to let them get a little bit wet first.

I have been using the sterifilt for about 2 years now. I have gone through about 2500 of the things and they are terrific. When I inject my "legal substances" I can easily see all the gunk that I used to inject before I got them. There is a big clump of crap at the sucking end and thank god I learned of them I can only imagine all the junk I would have injected over the last two years without them. They are fairly inexpensive as well, about 12 cents a pop. Compare that to the 3 or 4 dollar a pop micron filter and it's an easy decision. And the sterifilts fit right on the end of your standard insulin syringe whereas with a micron filter you have to get special screw-type works. There is a huge run-around if you try to deal with the british people just call apothicom or ask me how to get some and you could have them within a couple weeks. They truly are a great product. Only thing they don't do that micron filters do is filter bacteria.

its really good to see proactive harm reduction discussion about safer injecting practices happing here on BL.

I use micron (wheel filters) all the time, mainly to boof oxy etc. I find the rush from 80-200mg of oxy fucking amazing IV.

They work a treat, and its not that hard to use, knowing for a fact most the binders dont dissolve anyway but i generally throw a 25g long tip on the end with a 3ml barrel on the other, and draw thru a cotton ball at the needle end, then repeat the first step (cotton) if there is any particulate matter in my solution i'll re-filter it with the micron (there rarely is unless im doing a heap)

btw; call this discussing price but i get my micron filters at local needle exchanges and they are usually only a dollar, and sterile water amps 50c, so its not a big loss imo. saving your veins etc.

are they putting them in the fit packs you can pick up at public hospitals? (NSW-Sydney)?

edit: either the micron filters or the steri-filt?

^Neither, in those "fit packs" they usually contain a few ciggarette filters. or a cotton ball if you got it from an exchange. They charge for the steri-filts or microns, but its a small price to pay for what its worth

hmmm wish we had a sticky in Aus Drug about the location of needle exchanges in Australia, by state and city and a description of what the facility provides.

For example as far as i know if you go to the darlinghurst injection centre they won't let you take fits without taking your gear on site.....

^ In vic we don't have "shooting gallerys", which really sucks. coz the idea of places like that helps reduce crime and people doing shit in alleyways and stuff

heya chugs each organisation is different in regards to how it conducts itself as a nsp, to do a big list would be monster job for ant BL to do in their time, plus the way things change in this industry it would need to be updated so often it would not be funny.

im working on a getting a brief NSP contact list together, have got SA and NSW info already, if anyone would like to contribute by doing the Vic, qld and WA that would be great :)

South Australia:

Adelaide NSP's

at the royal adelaide hospital clinic 275

Clean Needle ProgramSAVIVE is part of the state-wide Clean Needle Program (CNP). There are many outlets participating in the CNP, making sterile injecting equipment and health information available to injectors throughout South Australia. CNPs have been instrumental in containing the threat of a major HIV/AIDS epidemic in Australia and they continue to play an important role in preventing the further spread of hepatitis B and C. To find the nearest Clean Needle Program site phone the Alcohol and Drug Information Service on 1300 131 340 or refer to our Contact Us page

SAVIVE (South Australian Voice for IV Education)

Norwood Clean Needle Program
Phone: (08) 8334 1699
Email: [email protected]
Open: 9am - 5.30pm Monday to Friday

The Parks Community Health Centre - Clean Needle Program
Phone: (08) 8243 5611
Open: 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday

Port Adelaide Community Health Centre - Clean Needle Program
Phone: (08) 8240 9611
Open: 9.30am - 5pm Monday to Friday (Closed from 12.30pm - 1pm)

Noarlunga Primary Health - Clean Needle Program
Phone: (08) 8384 9661
Open: 8.30am - 5pm Monday to Friday (Closed from 12.30pm - 1pm)

Second Story (CITY) - Clean Needle Program
Phone: (08) 8232 0233
Open: 11am - 5pm Monday to Thursday, 11am - 8pm Friday

Shopfront Youth Health Service (SALISBURY) - Clean Needle Program
Phone: (08) 8281 1775
Open: 10am-5pm Monday to Friday, 1pm - 5pm Wednesday

SA SIN (South Australian Sex Industry Network)
Phone: (08) 8334 1666
Web: www.sin.org.au

NEW SOUTH WALES
Biripi Aboriginal Medical Service Taree Health promotion | Counselling | Needle and syringe program | Sexual health services | Referrals

Bligh Street Sexual Health Clinic Tamworth Needle and syringe program | Sexual health services

Bourke Sexual Health Service Bourke Needle and syringe program | Sexual health services

Broken Hill Sexual Health Service Broken Hill Needle and syringe program | Sexual health services

Central Coast NSP Needle and syringe program
Dareton Community Health Centre Dareton Needle and syringe program | Sexual health services

Drug Alcohol and HIV/AIDS Administration Warrawong Referrals | Pharmacy - S100 dispenser | Needle and syringe program | Drug and alcohol-related services

Durri Aboriginal Medical Service Kempsey Health promotion | Counselling | Needle and syringe program | Sexual health services | Referrals

Grafton Health Grafton Needle and syringe program | Sexual health services

Greater Western Area Health Service (Sexual Health Unit Dubbo) Dubbo Needle and syringe program | Sexual health services | Clinic | Doctor | GP

HIV, HCV & Sexual Health Program, MNCAHS Port Macquarie Counselling | Needle and syringe program | Sexual health services

Injecting and Other Drug Use Project Needle and syringe program | Drug and alcohol-related services

Newcastle Community Health Centre - Newcastle Newcastle Counselling | Needle and syringe program | Sexual health services

NSW Users and AIDS Association (NUAA) Surry Hills Referrals | Peer support | Needle and syringe program | Drug and alcohol-related services | Advocacy

Orange Sexual Health Service Orange Needle and syringe program | Sexual health services

SHAIDS Lismore Clinic Lismore Counselling | Youth services | Needle and syringe program | Sexual health services | Clinic

Sydney Hospital and Sydney Eye Hospital Sydney Medical services | Mental health services | Needle and syringe program | Drug and alcohol-related services | Sexual health services | Pharmacy - S100 dispenser | Doctor

Wingecarribee (Bowral) & Allied Health Community Health Centre Bowral Needle and syringe program | Palliative care | Sexual health services

Wingecarribee Needle & Syringe Program Bowral Needle and syringe program

what about the Langerton centre and the kirk in the cross?

I have been trying to gather phone numbers for these needle exchange programs in America but with no luck. The phone numbers are practically IMPOSSIBLE to find on the internet. I would like to spread the word about how great the sterifilt is but it is seeming hard to contact the NSPs.

I will never really know exactly how much these little filters have helped me but I have been IVing stuff for a long time and using the sterifilts for a long time now and I just got a ct scan, an EKG, and 3 chest x-rays to see if they could detect any damage to my arteries from doing it and they say I'm healthy as an OX. Which was GREAT news because I was really starting to panic myself. All kinds of little things I would notice like strange headaches, dizzyness, and numbness but most of it is probably in my head.

I have been using the sterifilt for about 2 years now. I have gone through about 2500 of the things and they are terrific. When I inject my "legal substances" I can easily see all the gunk that I used to inject before I got them. There is a big clump of crap at the sucking end and thank god I learned of them I can only imagine all the junk I would have injected over the last two years without them. They are fairly inexpensive as well, about 12 cents a pop. Compare that to the 3 or 4 dollar a pop micron filter and it's an easy decision. And the sterifilts fit right on the end of your standard insulin syringe whereas with a micron filter you have to get special screw-type works. There is a huge run-around if you try to deal with the british people just call apothicom or ask me how to get some and you could have them within a couple weeks. They truly are a great product. Only thing they don't do that micron filters do is filter bacteria.

Thanks for the info on the sterifilts. I've been looking everywhere for a place that sells them in decent quantities, because I'm not looking to stock a needle exchange.
What country are you from? I was just wondering how (easy?) it was to order. It just seems like the US makes harm reduction more difficult than it needs to be, especially when you don't live in a city with needle exchange programs. So, looking to buy, it's harder to find such items "here" so resulting to over-seas and I'm not sure how difficult that will be to be quite honest.

Im glad this thread has had such a positive response. My little country town NSP gives out micron filters of all sizes for free, you just need to ask. I was travelling to Sydney every time I wanted filters and that took an hour and a half to 2 hours which wasnt fun, I should have just asked and I wouldve found theyre so easy to get. Im in NSW.