• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What is the biggest potential drug-related harm for Australian users?

Not according to Iggy Pop

Edit - since when is a bloody wedding the yardstick for a socially acceptable drug anyway?
"Ooh, you couldn't take DMT at a wedding"
"do you take this is iridescent alien goddess' protoplasmic tentacle in holy matrimony under the witness of a thousand malevolent elves?"

If so, I'm not getting married without a tank of nitrous and a shitload of cushions.

IMO the bride and groom should fling faeces at one another in practice for that "happily ever after" fairytale piece of paper they're signing up to.

Seriously though; Thorazine sounds like a good drug of choice for weddings. Just make sure Im strapped in tight, Jack.

Can't people get married without getting wasted? Seems rare.
Like a....cultural addiction. No?

Anyway, lets get back to the topic.

Last edited:
I sometimes wonder if the politicians/lawmakers/police/alan jones's etc of this world were the gawky, studious, timid mummy's boys/girls at school. Whilst they have followed and achieved their life goals and attained positions of power, they aren't truly happy and, as compensation, seek retribution against us for our frivolous, hedonistic, but often euphoric, approach to life which, secretly, they envy.

I actually think there's a fair bit of truth in that.

Have you ever seen a politician, or anyone in a position of high authority, who looked positively alive and full of vitality? Or who spoke with conviction and looked like they meant what they said and cared deeply about the issue?

Why do they always seem to be on the defensive when interview, using all their energy to hold their faces stone frozen, with a deadpan expression?

These are people who have not spoken their own words, or had their own ideals and beliefs for a very long time - if ever. Imagine how resentful you would be if your life was merely towing the party line and being told what to do and say. I find it deeply ironic that the term political "party" is used. It seems to me that they're in a prison cell of the mind more than any party.

Consider also the length of time and amount of crap that has to be 'achieved' to climb the ranks in politics... they wouldn't have had an ounce of freedom for years. Of course they're bitter and resentful.

A heroin fuelled wedding would be the most boring and depressing party ever.

Most weddings I've been to were boring and depressing anyway. Of course there are a couple of wonderful exceptions, but I'm afraid they're the exception to the rule.

So many people get married to some guy or girl because "it's the thing to do". More than half the weddings I've been to have ended in divorce - and half of those ended in divorce AFTER a child entered the picture, because that's another "thing that people do". Some of the most desperately miserable people I've seen - aside from politicians - are those who got married fairly early on because there was pressure from relatives and society and then had a kid.

There are few things more depressing than seeing a broken person (man or woman) admitting that they feel trapped and can't bond with a child they weren't ready to have and can't relate to a husband or wife who they've grown apart from in a short time.

Have you ever seen a politician, or anyone in a position of high authority, who looked positively alive and full of vitality? Or who spoke with conviction and looked like they meant what they said and cared deeply about the issue?
JFK? Oh....right, yeah - stoned off his pickle.

I find it deeply ironic that the term political "party" is used. It seems to me that they're in a prison cell of the mind more than any party.
'Party' probably wasnt used as a verb when that phrase was coined for political groups.

Whilst they have followed and achieved their life goals and attained positions of power, they aren't truly happy and, as compensation, seek retribution against us for our frivolous, hedonistic, but often euphoric, approach to life which, secretly, they envy.

I've wondered the same thing. I'm sure there'd be a small percentage of those groups who would be like that. Mostly they just do their jobs though and are no happier/unhappy than the rest of us. In private a politician might be reasonable but in public they have to 'tow-the-line' if they want to keep their job - same with police...most are reasonable and if you ask one they'll tell you alcohol is far and above the uglier over other drugs. Positions of power no doubt attract a larger % of dickheads but mostly they're alright. It's easy to go after them but if we want stuff to change it needs to be education of the public...

Here my favourite politician - Sandra Kanck http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandra_Kanck

On 14 March 2001 Kanck introduced her Dignity in Dying Bill 2001 to the South Australian Parliament. The bill was drafted in large part by the South Australian Voluntary Euthanasia Society (SAVES),[2] of which she has since been awarded life membership. She introduced the bill twice, and on the second occasion it passed the second reading vote, but failed at the third reading. In August 2006, Kanck ignored government requests not to discuss suicide methods in a parliamentary speech on legalising voluntary euthanasia.[3] Although suppressed from the parliament's internet record by a narrowly resolved Legislative Council vote, the speech was published elsewhere.[4][5] She is the first parliamentarian in Australia to have been censored in this way.

In May 2006, she controversially advocated the therapeutic use of MDMA (identified in news media as "ecstasy" or "the base ingredient in ecstasy").[6] One of her final private members' bills in 2008 was a bill for the medical use of cannabis.

She went to a rave and saw for herself how harmless MDMA was :)

About the same time she was coming out with these views her party dropped from 843k votes to 250k votes (although I'm sure there were other factors...I'm not an expert at politics :p )

Unfortunately the Dems have been on a downward slide for a long time, I'm sure Sandra had nothing to do with that. The right to do what we want with our lives and our bodies includes the right to die with dignity, ie voluntary euthanasia. This issue is seen by some members of the public, some very vocal people at that in a similar vein to drug use.

"If euthanasia was legal EVERYONE would kill themselves! Think of the children!"

"If heroin was legal EVERYONE would overdose! Think of the children!"

Fucking morons need a punch in the face.

Ironically, these are often the same people advocating for death sentences in newspaper comment sections for those who are caught using drugs.

Are the dems still a registered political party?
I thought their membership may have dropped too low - but I could be wrong.
I remember her...
But Scott Ludlam is the only contemporary politician I have any time for.
[Hint, hint WA voting public]

Yeah I think they have pretty much faded away, not sure if they are completely gone or not.

Scott is also the only politician that I can bare, of course, being a hipster I thought he was cool before his recent speech.

^ heh, I've known him for like 10 years.
I suppose I have "street cred" circa 2014 (ie fuck all)

It's a shame that the Greens don't have a more forward drug reform policy, while they are not exactly terrible, they're also not going out of there way to get the "druggy vote" with what some people may call "radical" or "bodacious (no, nobody would say that in 2014)" I mean, really shake things up ideas. They're more conservative (in their drug policies) than I'd like, but that probably helps them due to the general public's lack of education and understanding. Maybe if we could educate more people about the realities of the drug war, the Greens would change their position. At the moment, it's probably just too dangerous for them, vote-wise.

In order to try and get this post on topic, politics is one area where us regular folk can affect real change in policies. By standing up and getting counted, voting for people who care about drug users and drug law reform, we can help to get more people educated as more people will pay attention when votes are on the line.

Yeah, as I tried to show in my other thread (the one that turned into childish abuse) - Its going to (sadly) take baby steps here.
Drug reform can wait.
Saving workers' rights, old growth forests, the Kimberly (from industrialisation) and putting in place sustainable solutions for a (pretty bleak) looking future (environmentally) is urgent IMO.

Abbott is a dangerous ideologue; the senate needs people to provide the "checks and balances" it was designed for.
Plus, most morons think the greens are overzealous fanatics anyway.
Whatever.

Checks and balances or political stalling and hindering government? People complain that there is no real difference between the two major parties but reality is if any party has a radical idea it simply gets blocked and nothing changes.

Politics is nothing more than boring games of spin and show. The real power brokers are not the men in suits that kiss babies and shout at each other in parliament. They are expendable pawns who come and go via the whim of the voting public. The real power is held by the men whose job is not won or lost every 3-4 years. They sit quietly in the background and whisper in the ears of whoever happens to be voted in. They couldn't give two shits about the 15% of drug users who might not even bother to enrol to vote.

You are right. That's why we need change so desperately.

If the Greens or another minor party ever got to over 20% of the vote, even the powerbrokers would be shitting themselves.

Yep, I'm glad to have a re-vote for the senate now that it is more than clear what a disaster this (and every other lib/nat govt) is.
Funny - the Greens, along with a bunch of other groups helped get a lot of people onto a previous electoral role that would've been denied a vote.
Slam politicians all you like Busty - but try paying attention to what's actually happening before you take those cheap shots, hmm?
In every defeatist cynic I see a jaded, unhappy soul.
Be the fucking change - or have some respect for those working to save this country from the likes of the mining giants, newscorp and various other agents of destruction and propaganda.

Cynic? Jaded? You are the one that ignores certain media sources because you can't trust yourself to make a balanced decision.

There's no balance in the corporate press. It's all one voice; the corporate elite.

Now if you won't stay on topic - or away from petty jibes - please don't post here.