• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Neuroscience What is the biggest dopamine spike possible without drugs?

This thread contains discussion about a Neuroscience-related topic
Terrence Mckenna's seizure. Said it was the most profound experience he ever had. Otherwise, dunno. Being successful at what you do, maybe, whatever that means. Having someone you can just talk about anything with.

Playing with or petting a pet can increase dopamine apparently. And shopping which is potentially bad if it creates a shopping/buying addiction.

Last edited:
Gambling - #1 answer
Yep, this is my go-to when I need a non drug mental boost. Also biggest money sink.

I was seriously addicted to e-sports gambling for awhile. But when I have a few bucks to waste I like buying packs of trading cards, not to collect them, but hoping I get a rare/valuable pull. I find it more fun than just buying a scratch off lotto ticket.

Terrence Mckenna's seizure. Said it was the most profound experience he ever had.
I never heard him speak of this, was this after his brain cancer diagnosis?

I remember him talking about him having a profound experience after his diagnosis when looking at an ant, but not a seizure.

Edging (sexually) for hours, and repeat tantric orgasms.

Ecstatic dance, especially if the music is grade A.

Exercise, especially zone 5 cardio or weight lifting for the purpose of hypertrophy.

Interactions with animals, especially friendly, cuddly ones that are gentle and will let you pet them.

Full Sun on my naked body.

Food.

I guess meditation.

Any activity that requires focus and effort followed by a reward.