• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

What is the best sleeping pill I can get from my doctor

houseman5

Bluelighter
I'm trying to get off antipsychotics so I can get high again on opiates. Trazodone is not strong enough. If you take APs you know that they knock you the fuck out so I want something strong. Benadryl and melatonin don't work

Try Zopiclone or Zolpidem first, if they don't work then try Nitrazepam or Temazepam.

I concur. My first suggestion would be to exhaust all other possible options before stepping into sedative territory. There are a lot of herbal options out there that actually are not bullshit. I was always skeptical of herbal remedies. When I tried a few out though, I found there were some that were really nice.

-Passionflower
-Lemon Balm
-Valerian
-Kava
-Theanine

If none of these work for you, you can try a Z-Drug so-named as they all begin with the letter Z and produce very similar effects when compared to one another. The classic Z-Drug is gonna be Zolpidem (Ambien), but at this point, I think there are at least a dozen out there. They're similar to Benzodiazepines but shorter-acting. They are known to produce amnesia at a rate disproportionately severe to Benzodiazepines.

Z-Drugs are effective, yet like Benzodiazepines, they can only be used for a well-defined, short period of time. My advice with the Z-Drugs is not to take them for longer than 2 weeks. Tolerance is one thing. Once you've experienced the ease and convenience of just taking a pill to fall asleep, it can be notoriously difficult to get to sleep without them.

I think these are best used PRN (As needed) for nights when you really are having difficulties.

What I've found great success with for sleep is Clonidine (Catapres) I feel it's really underrated as a hypnotic. It's non-psychoactive and non-addictive. It's a blood pressure medication. I guess the reduction in blood pressure triggers relief from tension and the desire to sleep. The only issue is that you have to taper off of it if you take it for longer than a couple of weeks. This is really no big deal. Tapering is more for comfort than safety, as the palpitations can be uncomfortable if you withdraw suddenly.

I couldn’t have written that entire thing better myself lol well done

I too absolutely love Clonidine 0.1mg tablets, and even half a scored tablet 30min before bed will have me calm and ready for bed. Passion Flower and the rest you mentioned all great options

Last edited:
I concur. My first suggestion would be to exhaust all other possible options before stepping into sedative territory. There are a lot of herbal options out there that actually are not bullshit. I was always skeptical of herbal remedies. When I tried a few out though, I found there were some that were really nice.

-Passionflower
-Lemon Balm
-Valerian
-Kava
-Theanine

If none of these work for you, you can try a Z-Drug so-named as they all begin with the letter Z and produce very similar effects when compared to one another. The classic Z-Drug is gonna be Zolpidem (Ambien), but at this point, I think there are at least a dozen out there. They're similar to Benzodiazepines but shorter-acting. They are known to produce amnesia at a rate disproportionately severe to Benzodiazepines.

Z-Drugs are effective, yet like Benzodiazepines, they can only be used for a well-defined, short period of time. My advice with the Z-Drugs is not to take them for longer than 2 weeks. Tolerance is one thing. Once you've experienced the ease and convenience of just taking a pill to fall asleep, it can be notoriously difficult to get to sleep without them.

I think these are best used PRN (As needed) for nights when you really are having difficulties.

What I've found great success with for sleep is Clonidine (Catapres) I feel it's really underrated as a hypnotic. It's non-psychoactive and non-addictive. It's a blood pressure medication. I guess the reduction in blood pressure triggers relief from tension and the desire to sleep. The only issue is that you have to taper off of it if you take it for longer than a couple of weeks. This is really no big deal. Tapering is more for comfort than safety, as the palpitations can be uncomfortable if you withdraw suddenly.
I take clonidine for BP and had to quit taking the morning dose because I would fall asleep.

ma

-Passionflower
-Lemon Balm
-Valerian
-Kava
-Theanine

mate, clonidine saved me loads of hours of lost sleep. severely underrated tool. i took .2 PRN during opiate withdrawal and the bed-lock feeling is incredibly real. i hated the syncope & bottomed out BP but i was able to crack a few hours on select nights. i still take it if i’m still wired from the day before or my kratom hasn’t worn off with some melatonin and i always get good sleep (in sobriety that is).

Try exercising, no bullshit. I find that if I work out at least 30 min that day, it helps me sleep. Basically, I wear myself out and then I don't need any sleep aid. Cessation of antipsychotics can trigger a kickback response in which sleeping is difficult; it's common, and here again I'll reiterate – working out is good for your brain, not just your body.

I take clonidine for BP
Well it's a blood pressure medication. It's interesting how this relieves tension and leads to a relaxed state, lowered stress, and a desire to sleep. Side note: your username reminds me of Sonic Youth.

I don’t think that GABAergics will work for the OP, personally. Just a hunch based on what he wrote in the OP relating to antipsychotic medication
I think you might be underestimating GABAergics. Also, consider that there are GABA-A and GABA-B receptors w/certain drugs that target either group selectively. IIRC benzos affect GABA-A. Meanwhile, alcohol and GHB affect GABA-B.

Clonidine and similar work well, but give a somewhat unpleasant hangover. Benzos are perfect, but harder to get prescribed.

That leaves the Z drugs, which are many doctor's first choice. Ambien is too short in it's effect for me. I wake up after a few hours wide awake. Lunesta works best for me.
I have moderate anger issues for the first couple hours the next morning, but being aware of them makes them easy enough to compensate for. Just try not to say anything if anything pisses you off till lunch the next day. I don't get angry more easily, I just react like an asshole if I do.

Lunesta is very hard to use recreationally in any way. Weird that I'm in a place in life where that is a big plus.

I think it's infinitely important here to talk about the definition of "perfect" for a sleeping pill.

I'm highly against anyone taking Benzodiazepines for longer than the 2-6 weeks maximum for which they're indicated or if they're otherwise used on a PRN basis. Benzodiazepines are great medicine, like Opioids, when used properly. Using them properly is a science. If you take too much from the well, it dries up.

They are "perfect" for acute indications. They're safe and effective. If you take them chronically, more often than not, they bite you. This doesn't start as a full-blown dependence. It begins in subtle ways, which is why people who should know better find themselves in the same situation.

It starts when it's a little harder to get to sleep or when you start feeling the pangs of anxiety after you wake up in the morning. Sleep gets a little harder, so you take an extra half a tablet because "you have a demanding day" or what have you. This makes it harder to get to sleep the next night. The anxiety in the mornings gets steadily worse.

This is the moment when a person realizes they're in the maw of something potentially dangerous. How do they get off? It's not like I'm gonna take a week off from work to get off these just for some little addiction. You keep going. The problem gets worse. It's like an event horizon in that once you're over the line, you might feel like you could go back easily, when in fact, you're hurdling toward the black hole the entire time.

By the time you're done, you can't sleep, your anxiety is fucked, you can't get more Benzodiazepines and you end up existing in a half-life of Benzodiazepines making you feel like shit but you're mind and body telling you that you need them to survive.

I know, this probably seems melodramatic. This is for folks who might not know any better. Benzodiazepines are fairly mild in their effects. It's not like when you do a shot of Heroin and you know full well you're dealing with something incredible.

There are people who use Benzodiazepines their entire life without issue. These would be far statistical outliers.

I think it's infinitely important here to talk about the definition of "perfect" for a sleeping pill.

I'm highly against anyone taking Benzodiazepines for longer than the 2-6 weeks maximum for which they're indicated or if they're otherwise used on a PRN basis. Benzodiazepines are great medicine, like Opioids, when used properly. Using them properly is a science. If you take too much from the well, it dries up.

They are "perfect" for acute indications. They're safe and effective. If you take them chronically, more often than not, they bite you. This doesn't start as a full-blown dependence. It begins in subtle ways, which is why people who should know better find themselves in the same situation.

It starts when it's a little harder to get to sleep or when you start feeling the pangs of anxiety after you wake up in the morning. Sleep gets a little harder, so you take an extra half a tablet because "you have a demanding day" or what have you. This makes it harder to get to sleep the next night. The anxiety in the mornings gets steadily worse.

This is the moment when a person realizes they're in the maw of something potentially dangerous. How do they get off? It's not like I'm gonna take a week off from work to get off these just for some little addiction. You keep going. The problem gets worse. It's like an event horizon in that once you're over the line, you might feel like you could go back easily, when in fact, you're hurdling toward the black hole the entire time.

By the time you're done, you can't sleep, your anxiety is fucked, you can't get more Benzodiazepines and you end up existing in a half-life of Benzodiazepines making you feel like shit but you're mind and body telling you that you need them to survive.

I know, this probably seems melodramatic. This is for folks who might not know any better. Benzodiazepines are fairly mild in their effects. It's not like when you do a shot of Heroin and you know full well you're dealing with something incredible.

There are people who use Benzodiazepines their entire life without issue. These would be far statistical outliers.
You actually shouldn't take anything for sleep more than short term. Even the Z-drugs can get you dependent on them for sleep, Increasing dosage, eventually not working anymore and causing a greatly worsened condition.

And, yeah, benzos can take you down a much worse dirt road.

Just popping in to second this. I stopped taking Ambien for dissociative amnesia. Made for a few interesting episodes. :cool:

Just popping in to second this. I stopped taking Ambien for dissociative amnesia. Made for a few interesting episodes. :cool:

I think blackouts are so comical as we know we were completely out of control at one point but survived to tell the tale. That's probably just human nature. I'm the biggest buzz-kill regarding blackouts. They're always hilarious until they turn totally tragic. Waking up in a hospital bed being told I killed someone while driving is up there with my worst fears.

seraquil i take 600 mg a night and sleep like a baby
That is a lot for a person who does not have a tolerance for Seroquel.
The starting dose is 25mg.
Eventually one builds a tolerance to it and may need to adjust their dosage.
One time i inadvertently took 300mg and it was my first time.
I slept had awful nightmares and the following day was hell on earth.
Be careful guys.

I have prescriptions for Temazapam and Clonidine. The Clonidine, which I take for high bp, is quite effective at getting me to sleep. I only take the Temazapam when for whatever reason I know I won't be able to sleep. I've had insomnia since I was a child. I’d like to add that in the past I've taken the Temazapam every night for a year plus without many issues.

Mirtazipine knocks me out
And can provide a really nice relaxing feeling even into the next day.
Though I've never taken it nightly long term & I'd imagine tolerance sets in eventually.

Doctors are more likely to give out Mirtazpine (Remeron) than they are a lot of other suggestions here, since it isn't a controlled substance.

It's actually pretty good at knocking me out.
In high doses it's basically an SNRI, but in low doses it's like benadryl on steroids.
So although benadryl doesn't work for you, something much more potent might.

Mirtazpine might even have slight kappa-opioid receptor activity.
But it's also theorized to attentuate some of the effects of morphine, while potentiating the effects of other opioids. So you could see mixed results.

Last edited:
it massively exacerbates opiates death/ im not sure if it does in the sense of respiratory problems etc but mentally i got caught out not knowing this went from a dose of opiate used for slight buzz which on the mirtazapine turned me into a literal zombie. had missus forcing me to bed dont even recall it.. fortunately she was caring enough to video the event and show me repeatedly

:)

Mirtazipine knocks me out
And can provide a really nice relaxing feeling even into the next day. […] Mirtazpine might even have slight kappa-opioid receptor activity.
Yeah I had a feeling it was like that. Someone gave me a bottle of it… it was ℞ though (this is in the US), and just looking at the chemical structure – it's a tetracyclic antidepressant, similar in many ways to the tricyclic ADs – I had a feeling it would provide a nice, quilted knock-out blow for the evening, but didn't want to fuck around and be wrong. Thanks for confirming my hunch. Good to know.

had missus forcing me to bed dont even recall it.. fortunately she was caring enough to video the event and show me repeatedly
"repeatedly" 🤣