• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

What I attribute my ability to beat addiction to fundamentally.

AddictRecon

Bluelighter
Jesus Christ.

I dont know much about modern Christianity, but I know that in my desperate condition to find the willpower to overcome my addiction, the first most noticeable strength and willpower I had came after falling to me knees and pleading with God, the very God I did not believe existed, yet there I was, I dont even know what came out of my own mouth when this happened, but I know one thing, crying out to Jesus Christ, someone who I never thought existed elicited some sort of change i cannot fully explain.

For that I will be forever grateful, and the joy of serving in His will has completely changed my life forever. I simply cannot go back to not having the absolute best joy Ive ever known.

Please dont throw out challenges about the ability to prove God, or test me as if Im some great Christian, Im simply not, I dont know what happened, I was desperate, I cried out and something in me changed that I cannot explain.

Im told by 'churchy type Christians' that what happened to me was pretty normal, and alot of them reached out to share the same thing. Im super critical of Christianity, I actually started reading the bible, and if the bible is true, the modern Church is what Christ Himself taught against.

I feel alone as a follower of Christ, truly alone. But having Him in my corner has defeated every trial Ive been through since. I dont care about the arguments between believers and non believers, I dont have the energy, this is an experience unique to my perspective, I make no promises for anyone else, but something happened to me that I was told was impossible, and from the best of what I can gather, God Himself has put His hand on me and opened my mind to things I never in a million years could have understood on my own.

If you agree, great, if you disagree great, this is simply a subjective review of something that happened in my life, something that changed me forever. The earth shattering, life altering things that have happened, the clarity Ive had, the ability to see myself for what I had become, I attribute to something to do with God directly intervening in my life, and no one can take that away from me.

I will serve Christ until the day I die, I simply cannot explain this joy unless you are currently experiencing what I am experiencing, its incomprehensible, even to me.

I love you all, all of you, so very much, this happened to me and I felt conviction to share it

There is a difference between faith and religion.

One can be a believer in God and have true faith, yet shy away from religion. Religion is man made.

There is a difference between faith and religion.

One can be a believer in God and have true faith, yet shy away from religion. Religion is man made.

The profundity of your statement gives me pause, because in my Spirit I know its true, but Ive never quite heard it put like that, I just see that happening in the so called Churches, which I feel are somewhat, but not in every case, very hypocritical. Ill direct my gratefulness to God for what youve just said, and for you I will simply say "Thank you", I need to reflect on the importance of what youve said, please forgive me for not writing a more lengthy reply. God has shown me the power of patience and its one of the greatest strengths Ive been given.

Modern church = The harlot. The faithful grafted into the true vine =The Woman in the wilderness. Religion seeks to deprive the faithful of the living God

Modern church = The harlot. The faithful grafted into the true vine =The Woman in the wilderness. Religion seeks to deprive the faithful of the living God

Dare I say, the 'mother' of harlots..

Something else I see, the woman in Rev 12, She goes into the wilderness and is protected by God, producing more offspring.. I feel like this is a parallel in some way to what the wilderness meant for John the Baptist, a preparation of sorts for his ministry..

Since you are lukewarm, neither hot nor cold I shall spit you from my mouth. Rev 3:16. The modern church is very lukewarm indeed

a god who is addicted to worship is not your best bet.

I believe that the key to understand and beating addiction is to understand its purpose. Humans and all other mammals, AFAIK, can become addicted to drugs or behaviors. At some point, this capacity was a pro-survival trait. I've read some journal articles about this, how dopamine is the reward for succeeding, etc, so we get programmed to succeed, but I think they're missing it. I believe the primary addiction is to food. Do you know you can get a dopamine rush looking at a hamburger? The pleasure you feel eating that kind of stuff has nothing to do with its taste. Research confirms that it is high fat/high protein foods that do this. What is the original? Milk. Honestly, when your stomach is empty, you feel sick and not at all like eating. Foodcraving is totally different - when you eat even though you're full. Babies need all that milk, and in other mammals, they need to take it away from their siblings, even if they don't need it. Same with junk food - people don't stop eating when they are full, they eat for kicks. And because of that, they survive tough times in the future.

Everyone HATES this theory, because it points to most people being food addicts. Well? If you switch your diet to rice and fruit juice, which you can live on for weeks or months without harm, will you feel shitty and bad and cranky until you eat a cupcake? Yes, most people are like that. Junk dope, junk food, junk stuff - no coincidence.

Because addiction is really addiction to dopamine, however you get it, from gambling to meth, it's easy to transfer your means. Quitting junk and still smoking doesn't help you. Cigs have some affect on dopamine, but not enough, so you never get free of it. That's why I *loathe* AA/NA. The whole "I live with this the rest of my life" is crap. Quit smoking and eat right and the cravings go away. You can even use drugs medicinally and not binge, but support is advised.

I use DXM to deal with withdrawal - I really can't imagine ibogaine working better, but that may be due to my body chemistry. Still, there are several new NMDA ligands being developed for depression, though for some reason the idea of curing addiction is anathema. No one will ever test DXM for anti-addiction or anti-depression (actually, I use it to deal with low latent inhibition, which means I'm a raw nerve in some situations. What better way to compensate for not having mental filters than a mild anesthetic?). Honestly, if America quit junk, the economy would collapse overnight. People who are free of addiction seek spiritual joy rather than pleasure, which is free and lasts, cause for us that serotonin rush from seeing something perfect and beautiful is massively powerful. Hell, it's not a day unless I have a peak experience - and they don't get old.

Isn't it worth considering?

a god who is addicted to worship is not your best bet.

Being an addict most of my life and struggling with addiction, I can say that my experience in serving Christ has led to the only true sobriety Ive ever known, and the joy I have in Christ is unlike anything any drug has to offer. There simply isnt a comparison. Even if Im feeling down, doesnt matter, He is always there..

I asked for help, what came after that I cant fully explain but its as if a switch was turned off.

Serving Christ has completely changed my life. I dont see it as Him being addicted to worship, rather Him keeping His word to deliver on a promise, one that I am fully convinced exists because of the profundity of the impact its had in my life.

Worship is accepted by God in the form of keeping ourselves within His will, which nets a life more rich, more abundant in joy, love and compassion on a scale I could have only dreamed of.

God is addicted to worship in kind of the same way a husband is addicted to his wife's love. Addiction carries a connotation that it's an unnatural or unhealthy attachment to something. There is a difference between addiction and dependency. We need water to sustain our bio chemical bodily mechanisms, but would we call that addiction? No we'd call that dependency. I depend on God to counter the inherent selfishness of my ego.

God is addicted to worship in kind of the same way a husband is addicted to his wife's love. Addiction carries a connotation that it's an unnatural or unhealthy attachment to something. There is a difference between addiction and dependency. We need water to sustain our bio chemical bodily mechanisms, but would we call that addiction? No we'd call that dependency. I depend on God to counter the inherent selfishness of my ego.

And.. That just blew my mind.. thanks for expounding on this.

I have no doubts that what you experienced, and continue to experience is real. However I frame it slightly differently then you do from inside your particular concept structure.

The name, Jesus, or associated Christian concept structure is not what mattered then or now. What mattered was you intentionally bowed your head, and egos, to the floor and demanded change with sincerity and conviction. You surrendered and were totally in that experience with honesty and openness. And you are proof that it does work! It could have been Allah, Buddha, or other structure in another country, but you picked the most relevant one for your situation.

The point is, it works. You can indeed surrender egos that quickly. Which in itself is very interesting.. your brain certainly did not have time to change in that instant. Your mind did though. Which also begs the question.. what is addiction if it can be dropped instantly? I believe addictions do have a neurological component, but the real crux is in the mind.. with thoughts and impulses that may be external to 'us'. Every major religion, Christianity included, covers this with entities or unseen influences framed differently depending on cultural context.

^^ Nice post, I agree with you. The mind is a powerful tool, and there are ways to help unlock that power. In order to change, you have to believe you can change and you have to be honest with yourself. Using a deity, or ritual, or intentionally visualizing what you want are all ways of helping us to believe we can do things, and thus, be able to do them. :)

^^ Nice post, I agree with you. The mind is a powerful tool, and there are ways to help unlock that power. In order to change, you have to believe you can change and you have to be honest with yourself. Using a deity, or ritual, or intentionally visualizing what you want are all ways of helping us to believe we can do things, and thus, be able to do them. :)
Faith is one of many 'life hacks'

My sentiments are similar to SS, with the addition that I strongly suspect that there is an exogenous mass consciousness aspect at work. Jesus has been worshiped for millennia now and there is a lot of cumulative energy to be tapped into there. Whether he is a real spirit or a construct of billions of humans worshiping him and creating a powerful thought form of him over the centuries, he is something that can be accessed through directed practice. It's sort of like an energy bank of good will that humans have generated that needy people can withdraw energy from.

I have no doubts that what you experienced, and continue to experience is real. However I frame it slightly differently then you do from inside your particular concept structure.

The name, Jesus, or associated Christian concept structure is not what mattered then or now. What mattered was you intentionally bowed your head, and egos, to the floor and demanded change with sincerity and conviction. You surrendered and were totally in that experience with honesty and openness. And you are proof that it does work! It could have been Allah, Buddha, or other structure in another country, but you picked the most relevant one for your situation.

The point is, it works. You can indeed surrender egos that quickly. Which in itself is very interesting.. your brain certainly did not have time to change in that instant. Your mind did though. Which also begs the question.. what is addiction if it can be dropped instantly? I believe addictions do have a neurological component, but the real crux is in the mind.. with thoughts and impulses that may be external to 'us'. Every major religion, Christianity included, covers this with entities or unseen influences framed differently depending on cultural context.

Actually, the name Jesus would mean little if anything at all by simply saying it.. I read who Jesus was, believed He was who He said He was, and then cried out to Him alone.

Joh 15:5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.

Allah is just a name for a concept, and buddha is dead.

I think that was his point, it was due to your belief.

I think that was his point, it was due to your belief.

I guess what I am saying is that belief in Christ is what initiated the relationship, there is an additional agent effectuating change in me, something I could never do without Him. I could believe in my ability to flap my arms and fly, but it wont make me lift off the ground. I could believe in my own ability to quit drugs, and I have, and failed miserably.

What Christ does, once received, is provide objective empowerment that only He can give.. People may quit drugs for vanity, self preservation, but that will inevitably tie into other problems in their lives.. Christ sets people free and opens eyes..

I went down the newage path, buddhism, yada yada yada... That stuff is a farce in my experience and only led me further into deception, it results in a false humility and a sense of elitism concerning self gained knowledge, but its all nonsense in my experience..

Simply put, all those crazy Christians who I accosted for 'forcing their beliefs' on me turned out to be right.. Christ set me free, and I share that when I can in hopes others can come to know the freedom in Christ. There is no other way because Christ is the only way.

I went down the newage path, buddhism, yada yada yada... That stuff is a farce in my experience and only led me further into deception, it results in a false humility and a sense of elitism concerning self gained knowledge, but its all nonsense in my experience..

Agreed that for many people these things become a source of elitism, especially (seemingly) for the new agers. It can be a trap, but so can being a part of Christianity. Some of the most self-righteous people who look down their glasses the hardest are Christians. And some of the best people I know are Christians. And some of the best people I know are atheist, or buddhist, or have their own set of beliefs they can to on their own that isn't an "ism". The point is, there are many paths to happiness and morality. I'm truly happy that Christianity worked for you and helped you to be happy, but it doesn't mean it works for everyone. You seem like a really nice person and I appreciate your input here, but I do just cringe anytime someone claims moral absolutism.

Simply put, all those crazy Christians who I accosted for 'forcing their beliefs' on me turned out to be right.. Christ set me free, and I share that when I can in hopes others can come to know the freedom in Christ. There is no other way because Christ is the only way.

Whenever someone claims there is only one correct way, I know they've got the incomplete picture. It worked for YOU, and for others, but to say it's the only way suggests that only your culture is right, because religion is largely cultural. There are people in the world who have never heard of christ, or were indoctrinated against it. Are they all going to hell? What about all the people who lead happy, fulfilled lives without believing in Christ? Are they deluded? Is their happiness fake? Am I not really happy? Because I know happiness, I know pain, I know sadness and regret, and I can tell you I am a happy and fulfilled person, yet I believe what I believe. I believe Jesus the man was real and a wonderful example of the ideal of what humans can be. He had THE message, but I don't believe in his divinity nor do I believe he was trying to claim divinity. I believe he was trying to say, look, you can all be like me, it's possible to live a life in love and peace. if we all did this, provided for each other, loved each other as family, we could have heaven on Earth.

Some of the most self-righteous people who look down their glasses the hardest are Christians

Then they are deceived.. Consider Christs words..

Mat 15:8 “‘This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me;
Mat 15:9 in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’

Mat 7:21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
Mat 7:22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’
Mat 7:23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.

Luk 6:46 “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you?

Sounds to me like you know some people who go by the title of Christian, but dont actually follow what Christ teaches based on what I am hearing from you..

Whenever someone claims there is only one correct way, I know they've got the incomplete picture.

What if you are wrong? What if the truth by which all truth is contingent is in fact God, and He is the only way? Have you invested thought into this?

It worked for YOU, and for others, but to say it's the only way suggests that only your culture is right, because religion is largely cultural.

There is a markedly and readily apparent difference between 'culture' and 'religion'. My faith in Christ is antithetical to my 'culture', which seems to contrast with the above statement.

There are people in the world who have never heard of christ, or were indoctrinated against it. Are they all going to hell?

Paul talks about this..

Rom 10:13 For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
Rom 10:14 How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching?

According to scripture, everyone knows God exists.

Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth.
Rom 1:19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them.
Rom 1:20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.
Rom 1:21 For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened.
Rom 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools
Rom 1:23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
Rom 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
Rom 1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

Once a person has put their pride aside, God becomes more apparent, which opens doors, specifically doors that will allow for the Gospel to be presented.

Pro 16:5 Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished.

Pro 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
Pro 6:17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
Pro 6:18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
Pro 6:19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

I believe Jesus the man was real and a wonderful example of the ideal of what humans can be. He had THE message, but I don't believe in his divinity nor do I believe he was trying to claim divinity. I believe he was trying to say, look, you can all be like me, it's possible to live a life in love and peace. if we all did this, provided for each other, loved each other as family, we could have heaven on Earth.

Have you read the bible before, specifically the new testament? Jesus directly attributes Himself to divinity, as do His followers, what precedent do you have for believing Christ existed, but that He wasnt divine, because you cant make that extrapolation from scripture, the evidence for Christs divinity is overwhelming. Whether you believe it or not isnt relevant to what is true, but I would argue you dont really know who Christ is nor have you invested time into understanding who He is. This is not a slander against you, I just think you pick aspects of Christ that work for you, but readily discard the other things about Christ you dont agree with. Christ is only presented as He is, not what we think He is, or want Him to be.

Rev_22:13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.”

Tit 2:13 waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ,

Mat 28:9 And behold, Jesus met them and said, “Greetings!” And they came up and took hold of his feet and worshiped him.

Joh 10:30 I and the Father are one.

Joh 10:33 The Jews answered him, “It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you but for blasphemy, because you, being a man, make yourself God.”

Exo_3:14 God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”
Joh 8:58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.

Jesus even accepts the title of God.

Joh_20:28 Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!”
Joh 20:29 Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

Heb 1:8 But of the Son he says, “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever, the scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your kingdom.

I hope you dont take this as gish galloping, but answering your statements requires clarity and thought and the correct contextual explanation, which can be lengthy when talking about the Bible, I would ask that you think on what Ive replied to you with before rushing to reply, Im not hear to win an argument, but I do want to answer your questions and concerns thoroughly and adequately, and I completely understand if you are in no hurry to challenge these points, its quite a bit to take in, but I believe it all to be true from my experience, which of course is subjective for you, but objective for me.