• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

what does it mean to be an australian?

Australian means being 'multicultural' while incessantly bitching about how every culture is threatening to kill our national identity.

(on another note, my KFC wont sell bacon and has halal chicken because it's offensive to the muslims in my area.)

being Australian means being in a majority country-wide, yet still being the underdog.
being Australian means being the only white person in your TAFE class
being Australian is waking up and realising that the country your grandfathers and great-grandfathers fought for isn't even theirs anymore.

being Australian is a passe concept which needs to be quashed

Pseudo G said:
No worries 'mate', I will.
If you don't think Australia is the best place to live on the planet, I suggest you leave as you're taking up space the other Australians love, enjoy and cherish.

yeh, coz we are really hurting for space in this country arent we?

This country could be 100 times as large as it is currently and I believe there still would not be enough room for people that don't appreciate the rights and opportunities they have as a consequence of living here as opposed to many other places on Earth.

Nationalism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it.
- George Bernard Shaw

Its one thing to love your country, love living in it Thats just patriotsm. But its another thing entirely to believe it to be the 'best country on the planet'.

Thats just blind nationalism. This senseless, arrogant attitude of superiority so many countrys hold. Its the root cause of so many of the conflicts and inequalities in this world.

And in response to the rest of what you said, I'm willing to work hard , to contribute and to make sacrifices to benefit all people, wherever the fuck they live. Its not real compassion if it stops at the border. I hate to sound like a hippy, but my alliegance is to humanity, not to flags and geography.

Firstly, allegiances have to start somewhere. If your allegiance is to humanity is it true to say that you care for the well being of a total stranger just as much as that of your own family? If so, I sincerely hope I am not related to you and take pity on your children.

I'm sure you partake in many of the freedoms and rights of living in such a great country as Australia. I'm sure you would jump up and down and stamp your feet if these freedoms or rights were negated. Many of these freedoms and rights are not available to many people in other less fortunate countries on Earth. Yet the country you live in, that has afforded you such freedom, rights and opportunities that many people dream of, you hold no allegiance to?

That is why we should let more refugees in to Australia, cause they appreciate what this great land of ours has to offer more than likes of you.

I am very proud of being an Aussie.

I am proud that my forefathers fought to help other countries in war as well as to save our own.

I think part of being an Aussie is the fact we are so damn easygoing for the most part.

I think we have a unique sense of humour that much of the rest of the world doesnt undestand easily.

I think we enjoy laughing at ourselves and our own silliness.

I think we have a massive sense of mateship and loyalty to our mates.

I think Aussies see there mates as similar to family and in some cases even moreso.

I think we enjoy being a bit rough and tumble and not as lah de da as many countries.

I think we are generally much more down to earth than most other countries.

These are all things I love about our country.

And the Australian flag is a symbol of our country and I love it as I love my country.

Psuedo G - Either you don't understand the distinction I'm drawing here, or you're choosing to ignore it.

I think its great to have a certain affection for this country. I'm happy that you love living here. You can link arms around the opera house and sing 'We are Australian'. Fine. I'm not going to object.

What I disagreed with in your initial post is your assertion that a person is not Australian unless the believe Australia to be the best country in the world

Your family analogy is horribly flawed, and I don't agree with it at all. But for your benefit, I'll play along anyway; Its natural to hold a special bond with your family. Its great to love them. I know I love mine. But I don't walk about saying that we're the best family in the world. That we're somehow superior to the next family down the street.

That's the point I'm making here.

Oh, and please stop suggesting that the likes of me' don't belong here. Thankfully, agreeing with Psuedo G on the meaning of patriotism is not a pre-requisite of living in Australia. And its pretty fucked if you think it should be.

Pseudo G said:

That is why we should let more refugees in to Australia, cause they appreciate what this great land of ours has to offer more than likes of you.

Im sorry but I cannot agree with this statement.

Yes many of them do appreciate what the country has toi offer and manyt dont........thats not the point..........its what there idea of what the country has to offer that concerns me about some of them.......

There is no doubt in my mind that many see opportunities here all right.,opportunities to bring there flea infested filth ridden garbage society that has destroyed there own country over here and let it destroy mine as well.

I will not name nationalities as there are bad eggs in all..........however one or two are far worse than others and I cannot for the life of me understand why we continue to allow them in here when it is so obvious they are naught but trouble.

If I was boss of this country I would ship them all back to wence they bloody came and post haste..

Bad form. (i can make rash sterotypes as well...watch)

MazDan said:
Im sorry but I cannot agree with this statement.

Yes many of them do appreciate what the country has toi offer and manyt dont........thats not the point..........its what there idea of what the country has to offer that concerns me about some of them.......

There is no doubt in my mind that many see opportunities here all right.,opportunities to bring there flea infested filth ridden garbage society that has destroyed there own country over here and let it destroy mine as well.

I will not name nationalities as there are bad eggs in all..........however one or two are far worse than others and I cannot for the life of me understand why we continue to allow them in here when it is so obvious they are naught but trouble.

If I was boss of this country I would ship them all back to wence they bloody came and post haste..

Is this what a proud Aussie is? One who turns their back on Asylum seekers? On people that are being persecuted for religious beliefs? For being a woman?

And what is the consensus? "ship them all back to [sic] wence they bloody came and [sic] post haste.. "?

I am proud to be un-Australian if this is the case:p

Name countries. It's not as if your exactly hiding your bigotry:p

Take your head out from your arse and learn to not watch commercial news. All bad eggs? and who's the judge of that? you? Then who will be your judge? me? and mine? and so on and so forth?

preacha: dont encourage him :|

MazDan said:
And the Australian flag is a symbol of our country and I love it as I love my country.
Actually it's a symbol of our subservience to the UK - which is why I hate it.

If you don't believe that Australia is the best country on Earth, then, as you said you have no allegiance to Australia. If you have no allegiance to Australia, you have no loyalty to Australia. If that is the case, then you do not place the utmost importance on the welfare and future of Australia and all Australians.

I hope you appreciate the fact that Australia cares more about your rights and freedoms than you care about Australias welfare and future.

A countries greatest natural resource is its citizens. But if its citizens like you hold, no allegiance to the country that gave them the standard of life they enjoy, they don't deserve such a life in the first place.

Pseudo G said:
If you don't believe that Australia is the best country on Earth, then, as you said you have no allegiance to Australia.
Ridiculous and illogical. Just because someone doesn't believe Aus is the best country in the world, doesn't equate to them not having an allegiance.

Australia *isnt* the best country, but I'm not entirely sure there is a *best* country.

pfft! keystroke. you must be anti-american. We all know that they are the best.

American because America Can! - real life quote used constantly from an ex marine that my ex-girlfriend was studying with when she was in Israel..

Living each day being a Little Aussie Battler!

shals :D

a little online microcosm of Australian society we have going here ...

the net is pretty amazing .... these disuccions mean a lot more then we probally realise ....

for example, Pseudo G's comments ..... this attitude has been passed on from generation to generation ... now we get to read it ... look at it .. and hopefully some people online who acquired the same destructive conditioning from there parents/guardians ... can look at it and THINK ... and realise ... just how damaging this attitude has been throughout the ages