• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What do you do to stay in recovery?

The later point in my experience is a bit variable.
Unfortunately it's probably just a reflection of regional specific attitudes.

But, if you're just not the kinda person that can share in a group, that's OK, I don't think it's uncommon to feel some anxiety though. I definitely did when I first went to meetings (I've gone on and off for various periods for at least the last decade).

Does get easier though.
I do feel sometimes that meetings would help me, especially when i have weak moments. But not all groups are created equal. Im gonna make an effort to seek some new ones out and give them a chance again. During stressful points in my life I can feel so alone and a meeting in a room with people who understand my struggle might be the support I’m lacking.

I do feel sometimes that meetings would help me, especially when i have weak moments. But not all groups are created equal. Im gonna make an effort to seek some new ones out and give them a chance again. During stressful points in my life I can feel so alone and a meeting in a room with people who understand my struggle might be the support I’m lacking.
It might help give it a try.. in my experience 12 step people are Uber judgemental as if it will hell their own recovery

Oh but I still feel like shit I guess... the exercise just makes my anxiety more bearable and the meetings give me hope for the future.
I hope one day I will feel good sober, perhaps not every day but most days would be good enough for me.
You said that you have 2 months? Give it another 2 and you'll be in a better place another 2 and so on. It sounds like you're doing it a day at a time which is good. There will be better days than others. I have found that they get better as time moves on.
I’ve never gotten much out of meetings and I have given them many a chance. AA, NA, CA, I think I will never be comfortable speaking about myself or my life in a room full of people. I also don’t like the groups that treat you like shit for being on some kind of maintenance treatment.
I was on maintenance for years, I didn't bring it up in meetings. I found that AA rooms are a lot more forgiving about taking pharmaceuticals so that you don't end up dying with a needle in your arm. I wouldn't bring it up until you know people in the room well. Morning meetings seem to be a lot smaller and focused. It took a lot of searching for me to find a "home group". As my recovery has changed over the years, so have the meetings that I sought out over time.

Seriously, whatever medication you're prescribed and taking as prescribed, it isn't anyone else's business. If someone asks, just say "I take what my doctor prescribes." If they press you on the what... Tell them that's between you and your doctor. If they get pushy past that, leave the meeting. There are a ton of meetings out there. Unless you're in a rural area... Then there are Zoom meetings and always the option to start your own meeting. Or to seek out the one or two people who you do seem to click with and ask them to talk. You can seek out the couple of people who seem to be good and ask them to have coffee and just talk.

Even though I first tried properly to stop using substances late 2013 I haven’t managed to really get a significant amount of time properly sober.

im at a place where I’m trying kind of hard to stop using. Reading through this thread I’ve gotten a fair bit out of it. Thanks to everyone who commented. And sorry OP/Jess is struggling (and everyone else that is also having a hard time).

I hope you all find what you are looking for.