• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What do you collect?

1662911_1612136740.jpg

This ones from athens around 425BC

Slightly off topic because this is something I DON'T collect, but in the UK we have people called 'train spotters' who loiter around train stations all day collecting the registration numbers of locomotives. They tend to consist of anorak wearing socially inept nerds and weirdos and are often the subject of much derision. I could probably understand it more with steam engines when they were a thing of beauty and a marvel of engineering from a bygone age, but modern electric trains all look the same and it strikes me as a little sad. Is this a thing in other parts of the world?
I think it's because they are all on smack.

Source: Irvine Welsh

I must have already said this at some point in here, but I collect psychedelic drugs. I have 2 boxes, the freezer box and the closet box, each full of labeled amber vials. I also have various containers full of different extraction methods/recrystallization attempts of DMT. At last count I have 72 different substances. I have an inordinate amount of pride over my collection and sometimes take it out just to look at it. I have tried all but a couple, and some of them I doubt I will ever try again, but I still like having them. <Insert obligatory Hunter S. Thompson quote you're all thinking of here>

As a kid I used to collect coins and stamps, but I was never super serious about it.

Do you collect modern ?
That's right. My collection took a beating about a year ago though, when I met a meth dealer on a tinder date quite by accident. Suffering from precious metal fever, the dealer gave me wholesale rates on his meth in trade for my metal, which he gave me spot on. I have some silver half dollars and dollar coins left in average condition, but none older than 1920. I am coming into some extra funds this summer, and I hope to purchase some real antiques, like what you have.

dead brain cells

I own quite the collection and certainly an expert on the topic.

I used to collect trading/sports cards, minerals/geodes, old coins and stuff like that. I'm too boring and poor to collect things during this phase of my life.

So this is a 2200 year old coin? Really? How much would something like that cost? Are you a museum owner?
No I'm not a museum owner lol. This cost about a thousand dollars. There's more ancient coins floating around than you'd think, there were billions of them minted after all. You can get small bronze coins from the late roman empire for pocket change.

There weren't a whole lot of banks either so people would bury their coins for safe keeping. A lot of times newly minted coins would go to legionairies on the march and then straight into the ground... the soldier would die and the coins wouldnt be dug up for thousands of years.

Last edited:
That's all very cool. Just had a browse on eBay. Interesting... Thanks for posting those pics

What fascinating things do you collect?

I collect:

keychains - most seem to be presents from people that have places they have visited on them or have my name on them

picture frames - I love strange ones

piggy banks - my favorite is the moose one I got from Maine

anything Asian - I have japanese rice bowls with dragon motif & chopsticks, a kimono, jade carvings, dragons, etc.

novelty clocks

I used to collect:

poison dart frogs

chameleons

salt water fish

concert shirts & ticket stubs

I'm a fellow keychain collectee. I've actually been doing it since I was 6 or 7 years old. Whenever we went on holiday ("vacation") I'd always want a souvenir to help me remember it and - even though I sometimes got other stuff, too - I'd always get a keychain. I still have them all (apart from one I got one a school trip to Paris...I was raped there and I recently came across the keychain and burst into tears so I threw it away) .

I collect novelty mugs, too. Anything I think is really funny or interesting or unique.

I "collect" different cigarettes, too. I never KEEP them, I smoke them. But any time I come across a new brand, I'll try a pack. Similar to how some people are with beers or wines. Camels are my current most-wanted. They don't sell them in my country. It's mostly because so many characters in Stephen King novels smoke them. Lucky Strikes, too, but I finally got to try them when my brother brought me some back from Spain. Cool ones, too, as they had two of those little balls in that you can crush so you could smoke them as regular cigarettes, crush one ball and have them spearmint, or crush the other and have them berry flavour.
A few weeks ago a friend gave me one that was wrapped in a tobacco leaf instead of whatever paper it is cigs are usually wrapped in. I really liked that.

Drugs, too. I guess this is the unhealthiest one. Again, it's like with the cigarettes, I don't "collect" them in the sense of keeping them, just trying them. There are drugs I just never want to try, but I want to experience the majority of them at least once. Opioids and benzodiazepines in particular I want to try every one there is. I've tried 18 different benzo's at last count.
Currently my most sought-after include MDMA, Quaaludes, Chloral Hydrate, Hydromorphone (not an opioid available in my country) and Zolpidem.