• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids What Can Possibly Change Withdrawl Symptoms? CONFUSED...

DEADPOOLx23

Bluelighter
So im wondering if there are some things that can greatly effect how bad withdrawl from Oxycodone can be, other than Dosage.

I ask this because i have done the on and off Oxy dance for years due to docs changing my migraine meds whenever they get bored, i guess is their reason ha...What i dont understand is that sometimes that i have gone through withdrawl from 150mgs per day it has been REALLY rough and ive needed to take Suboxone for 3 or 4 days before i feel normal again but then there have been times that i took 300 to 450mgs a day for nearly the same amount of time and stopped with no taper and basically was symptom free, minus sleeping less and maybe some yawns and minor symptoms for a day or two.

Im trying to pinpoint if there is anything that would cause this to be the case when my daily routine never changes much but sometimes wds are more severe when coming off a lower dose that sometimes even includes a taper for a few days but then other times when taking a higher dose, i can come off without even needing a few days of Suboxone. This is really confusing too me and i cant understand it since my diet and physical output never differ to any real degree.

Just wondering if anyone has noticed any daily things that you may have done without really thinking about it, that when looking back on it, you realized must have had some effect on the severity of your wothdrawls. Also, how long it took your withdrawls to kick in as sometimes 8 hours after last dose i feel miserable but then other times it takes well over 24 hours before any discomfort...

Im just trying to make sense of these things and see if i can pinpoint any things that may be playing a part in these HUGE differences.

Feel free to share your thoughts, brainstorm, bounce some ideas around, fill me in on anything im forgetting to think about, etc....

Thanks Guys,
DEADPOOLx23

I think withdrawal is greatly effected by the situation you are in when you're experiencing withdrawal. For instance, I was thrown in jail for four days, and was kicking dope the whole time, but looking back it wasn't that bad, because I couldn't get heroin (or maybe I could have but I would probably have had to sell my soul for it, and I had no money on my books). However, if I was just having a lot of trouble making money, like, the hustle was going slow lol, the withdrawal felt horrible-because I was within reach of getting my fix, but not quite there-if that makes any sense.

That's the only thing I could come up with, sorry if it's not much help, as no one wants to go to jail lol. Also, non opioid medications like clonodine can help a lot with reducing withdrawal symptoms.

Addiction/withdrawal is weird sometimes, and it has a lot to do with the involvement of your mind. For instance, when I was at the depth of my H usage, two similar situations would result in two completely different ends:

1. If I woke up in the morning and knew I had a large amount of H on hand, I could go for hours without touching it and would feel just fine the entire time, knowing that my stash was there and I was going to be able to smoke whenever I wanted to.

2. If I woke up and had finished my sack the previous night or had only a little left, I would feel withdrawals begin to creep in almost right away. I would still have had the same amount of H in my blood/bound to my receptors as in example #1, but my withdrawal symptoms would kick in nonetheless.

There is a lot of psychosomatic elements involved, among other factors. There is likely no particular answer we'll be able to arrive to, but I have experienced something like what you're talking about, it is real, and it is weird.

That's funny too, because I found myself to be the complete opposite in that regard. If I had a good 'wake up' I'd wake up feeling desperately ill and need to do my shot immediately. I also differ from other people who claim that they would feel better once they copped, that was not the case for me, yes I'd be relieved to finally have the dope, but my withdrawals would become much more severe as I now had the dope, and the need to feel better would become overwhelming.

Z, I actually had the same experience with the second phenomenon you mention.The very second I copped, my symptoms would flare until I could manage to get home and get some in me. I've hit my fastest velocities on the freeway because I'm headed home to do dope...Like a husband driving his pregbant wife To the ER.

I relate to what was said that if I wake up, and don't have any shit left, and do not have a way of getting it yet, the WDs seem to immediately take hold. But say I saved a shot from the day before and swore to myself that I would wait to do it until I was so sick I couldn't take it no more, the withdrawal would take a little while, and most likely I would do the shot before being ill anyway.

But I can't say these scenarios have always been the case, but a lot of the time they have.

I've noticed this with hydro-I don't seem to have the "kindling" effect at all. The last time I had w/ds,, they were significantly milder even though I was taking exactly the same comfort meds. Go figure.

Tinker, That is awesome. I've also never experienced any kindling effect. All of my withdrawals have been equal in terms of severity and symptoms.

yeah a lot of withdrawal depends on your mental state at the time. I know even though I wouldn't have been "that sick" for the past few hours some days I would start puking in my dealer's bushes when we pulled up to his house and would have to use his bathroom before getting well, because when I knew that dope was coming the withdrawals instantly became 10x worse.

Yeah its just strange that i could be doing 300 to 450mg with some days up to 600 of Oxy a day and stop with no taper or suboxone and mever get more than some yawns and some insomnia mixed with yawns and then other times i only have been taking 150mg and even taper down over a few days like 90, 60, 30 but then WDs will kick my ass and ill have to go on Subs for 3 days till it goes away....It jist blows my mind, like no rhyme or reason to it lol

Yeah the WDs get horrid while waiting for the dealer and stuff cuz there is added anxiety in your thoughts of like being caught or seen by someone. Especially if your dealer has you parked on some side street in a neighborhood you don't belong taking forever. Then once you get it and are back on the freeway knowing you're good and didn't get caught. There is some relief there, but the WDs are still bad, cuz the next step is getting it in your system. I see it as a game with daily objectives... Lol. The objectives being:

1. Get money somehow, if by illegal means not getting caught.
2. Get the stuff without getting caught. Sometimes getting it can be arduous journeys and very long wait periods, which can make anxiety rise and WDs way worse.
3. Use successfully

That's the game I play daily when in active addiction. Sometimes the game is easy, sometimes it is a bitch of a puzzle to solve, and sometimes I lose the game completely and bear through agonizing WDs whether in a jail cell, or in a dark room with a TV on, even on bright sunny days where life is flourishing.

One thing I know is true. I have used narcotics over four decades. My first habit took me by surprise and I was 17. As life went by me, the habits always came quicker. Today, I can use hard for a day or two and be sick for two weeks. :(

The mind is a crazy thing. The best part of doing heroin is the score. Somehow making the cash, finding the dealer, waiting all eternity, and then finding a suitable vein.

Maybe the surprise will be getting busted this time. An overdose is always in the cards. The high is usually a let-down. Add some coke for a rush.

Wake up tomorrow and find the energy and the where-with-al to do it again. Sucks until you are a little bit high again. Depressing. Play some Lou Reed. He's dead too. Mikie
;)

Last edited:
I guess im not even talking about the daily ups and downs because i have constantly stuff but this is everytime i decide to stop for a long period of time and get offf completely. It just always seems worse when i taper or am on a lower dose and when i just stop from a high dose wds seems to always be less...just very confusing.