• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids What can opiate withdrawal be compared to?

May include nausea, sweating, cramps, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, muscle spasms, depression, anxiety, mood swings and insomnia.

When using opium more than or after a year some of these symptoms may experienced but not all.

Research Chemicals
I'm pretty sure putting links to RC vendors is against the rules. Especially scam ones.

I always tell people it felt like having the worst flu of your life, chilling, puking, shitting. AND THEN FIVE COPS COME IN AND BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF YOU WITH BATONs (in capitals because scream that part LOL). I only did it once, other than some very mild ones off a several day opiate run. It was off a 30-40 mg a day dilaudid habit (IV) of about three or four months. Not 30 mgs at the begining of course. Not much compared to many here but not exactly a darvocet and weed habit either. It wasn't completely cold turkey, I had a few days to sorta taper down to about 20 a day. Not that I knew what a taper was at that point, just trying to stretch what I had left. And I had a few weak opiates to take a little of the edge off. But what really kept it from being as bad most of you had it was I had a shitload of meth to play with. Many will say that's only gonna make things worse, but it helped with the depression alot. And if I couldn't sleep anyway I figured I might as well be wide awake. Alot of pot and benzos, too. After about 5 miserable days I quit doing speed and took a truely foolish dose of xanax and fell out for a day and a half. It was nowhere near as bad as many here experienced, but bad enough I'll never do it again.

So here's my question to those who've been through it many times. Why do you get that deep into opiates again? I'm not trying to sound preachy here, hell I'm on 120 mgs of morphine right now. But I don't venture far enough out in the deep water that I can't get back to shore. Knowing what it's like, why do so many let it happen again. I can't say for sure I never will again, but it's been nearly 15 years, knock on wood.

I hate the cold feeling so much, you can put a thousand blankets over you and you still frezze, and just the second you thing you feel warm , it gets so intense hot that sweats almost floods out of you. And you always thing what is this shitty life for why do all the shit, nightmare depressions. This discription doesn´t nearly cover 1/10 of all symptoms. :(

very good and accurate description of that cold/hot feeling like you can never be at a comfortable temperature. but words could never do it justice

Oh.... and everyone has their own special w/d symptom. For me, it's the cold-burn, as per WSB. lol

I think I am going through the first day of withdrawal. I am on norco 7.5/325 for a back injury and have been for the last year. I usually have been good and take them as prescribed but after a year on the same dose I am not getting the same relief I used to. When I brought this up with my doc he didn't seem keen on upping my dose, and until my workers comp hearing finally approves the pain management the doc wants me to receive, I am stuck on this dose.

So every Tuesday I get a weeks supply but this week I took a little too much too quick and ran out yesterday morning. I have terrible leg cramps and am having mood swings(already fought with my gf). My stomach is in a bad way, and I have no drive to accomplish anything. So basically everyone in this thread is right...WD is awful, and I don't even think mine is bad considering my use is about four 7.5 norcos a day.

The truth is if your habit is in the +100mgs daily range and this goes on for years, tapering or not you'll never be back to 100% how you use to feel. You'll be depressed, have no energy, and just want feel right. Although tapering may keep you out of full on withdrawal, a habit like this and you'll never be the same.

This is complete and utter bullshit. BTW I've been using opiates daily for over 5 years.

^^^
I agree that's likely bullshit. Even though the higher the dose and longer you used, the worst it will be, it doesn't mean you'll NEVER be normal. I used poppy tea for 2 years and have been clean 42 days (not long compared to how long I used) and I'm up to at least 90% of my old self.

^^^
I agree that's likely bullshit. Even though the higher the dose and longer you used, the worst it will be, it doesn't mean you'll NEVER be normal. I used poppy tea for 2 years and have been clean 42 days (not long compared to how long I used) and I'm up to at least 90% of my old self.

Poppy tea is my drug of choice as well. Did you get clean because of the recent poppy shortage?

I've taken breaks here and there for several weeks at a time, and I'm usually back to normal in 2-3 weeks. I think the people that claim that they have a terrible affliction now and can't ever be normal again are just making an excuse for their continued use. The fact is that we all have to pay to play. Withdrawal sucks, but it's just like paying the rent. You have to suck it up and get through it if you want to live the opiated lifestyle. You receptors WILL go back to normal over time.

Just a follow up to my post from yesterday. I guess my Norco use wasn't all that extreme as today I feel 100x better than yesterday. I don't know if I'm out of the woods yet as far as WD symptoms go, but i'm no longer achy or having hot and cold flashes. Mood is much improved as well.

Cheers,
Healgasm

I'm addicted to codeine (it plus benzos got me off a 12 month pod habit which I'm pleased about), but its been a few years before the pods I got into codeine anyway.

I know that some of the hardcore opies here regard codeine with derision, wrongly imo. Its pretty easy to get hold of & you don't have to criminalise yourself to get it, just run the pharmacy gauntlet.

I don't know what smack/oxy etc is like, what I DO know is that withdrawal from codeine is pretty unpleasant. Actually it can be very unpleasant....

It feels really similar to having your heart REALLY broken by a girl. That is just part of it though. It sticks around for like 6-8 weeks.

Whenever anyone asks me that question I always say 'its not as bad as you think, but worse than you can possibly imagine...'. By that I mean that although it's not necessarily a state of constant agony as the popular media would have you believe, it's such a subjective experience that you will never understand what it's actually like until you've been through it. A common analogy is that it's like a dose of the 'flu. While there are undoubtedly many similarities - the aching limbs, the bad head, the hot & cold sweats, the lack of energy etc. - at least with the flu you tend to spend a lot of time sleeping it off. Withdrawal has the additional hell of feeling so tired you could sleep for a week but not being able to, while your mind focuses intensely on every little ache and pain, making time slow down to a crawl. This is exacerbated by the knowledge that you can be immediately cured by just going to score. Would anyone ever put up with a dose of flu if there was a cure just around the corner? I'm sure that many of the pains felt are psychosomatic - except perhaps for the stomach cramps which are caused by your bowels and intestines starting to work overtime again. For me the dominant feeling is probably extreme discomfort - not knowing where to 'put oneself', hence the 'restless leg syndrome' - constant twitching and kicking, twisting and turning. It also comes in waves - all the discomfort and restless energy builds up to a point where you feel like ripping your skin off just to itch your bones and you think you can't take any more - then it will pass and there are a few moments of (almost) relief. Then the cycle will repeat itself, over and over again, increasing in intensity each time over a period of 3 - 4 days before it levels out for a few more days. On top of all this there is the overwhelming psychological agony which gives withdrawal the extra dimension that normal physical illnesses do not possess. Your emotions go haywire - you can start crying for no reason, you get severely depressed, paranoid, guilty - even horny, and all the time you've got this voice telling you 'just one bag, one bag won't hurt will it? Go on, you know you want it'. I could go on and on trying to describe it, but it's pointless because you have to be there. Unfortunately I was so curious to know what it was like that I'm sure I subconsciously let myself get addicted to heroin just so I could find out. Don't be like me, learn from other people's mistakes. Imagine if you can a heavy dose of 'flu, amphetamine psychosis and a bad mushroom trip all rolled into one and strung out for a week, then you've got an approximation of what it's like.

Jesus 250 responses, all of them identical. I think we're done here.

Plus it was such a non-question, anyone over 15 who goes to the movies knows what withdrawal is all about - a blue light member probably knows even better.

Has he ever come back to explain what he was after, or was it more or less a troll-ish test to see what question he could ask to generate 250 identical responses?

Maybe I'll start a thread and ask "should drugs be legal?"

Lol. Over. John, spoken like someone who has never suffered withdrawl.

myself, currently withdrawing, (5 days sober!)I would say it is a feeling incomparable to any other. It's like every bone in you're body is being crushed and liquified over and over again. It's the most painful experience of your life. And that's only day 1. These feelings lessen after the first couple of days if you have access to bupe (if not...hold on for the ride). The cold chills last for weeks and relapse is always there behind you, nagging you like a horrible evil spirit that grows everytime life's problems come you're way. Be sooo careful with opiates.

In my opinion there is nothing too similar to opiate WD*s ... They are just original in their awfulness.

Nearest I could come possibly by saying WD's are like reverse kick, completely opposite to opiate effects.

First comes the sharpening of senses, intensification of feelings, tiredness of nerves and then all starts to go much worse (acceleration depends on half life of opite in question)

Immobilization... spasms, aches and hellish pain all over the body & skin and spontaneous orgasms (which don't feel great at all)... Feeling is like on fire, flames of hell licking your skin and intestinals!

Diarrhea, cramps of stomach and that damn consciousness and pain of peristalsis... And external time seems to stop completely, so that one hour feels like eternity.

Should I add something?

i'd say benzo WD is rather similar. senses sharpening (more so with benzos), immobilization (longer with benzos), pain, fatigue, diarea

there's a million things you could add btw :)

You can compare it to having the flu. Expect hot and cold flashes, sweats, shivers, bone aches, headaches, trembling, wrestles legs, fever, diahearea, vomiting, and extreme irritability. That's just off the top of my head. It doesn't even cover the pshycological pain.

I have my own formula for coming off Oxycontin. I can come down from 160mg a day to 10mg a day habit in about 2 weeks without getting sick. I stop taking the long acting agonists like Oxycontin and switch to fast acting Oxycodone. Obviously the point is to taper down to a point that is not going to crush you when you stop completely. After a minimum of 3 days of fast acting agonists I switch to 2mg of Suboxone twice a day. 5 days later I switch back to 10mg Percocet. Suboxone withdrawal takes 2-3 times longer for me. I get minimal withdrawal symptoms with this method. There is no get out of jail free card, but if you step down before you quit it makes it easier to accomplish. I have gone cold turkey after 6 months of Suboxone treatment and it's not pretty. I would rather be intensely sick for 3 days than 15 days of plain sick. That's why I switch back to Percocet before I stop completely. This is all easier said than done. It's the Suboxone that helps wipe the slate clean.