• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos What can I expect from this switch? (klonopin to temazepam)

befitnessnow

Greenlighter
I have an extensive history with Benzos over the years but the last 8 months I have been using 1.5mg Klonopin at night for anxiety/sleep. I ritualistically take it at 1am, it fully kicks in around 2:30am and I go to sleep about an hour after that.

The last month on it though has been just awful; not quite enough anxiety relief, waking up constantly during sleep... it just lost it's magic and I didn't want to up my dose.

So I realized that one of the only Benzos I've never tried was Temazepam, long story short, I get a prescription for 1 30mg and 2 15mg a night for Temazepam. It was written so that I could try 30, try 45 and then try 60 if needed.

I just would like to get some opinions on what I could expect from 30mg (which I'm hoping is enough) of Temazepam in contrast to my 1.5mg Klonopin. I know this is subjective and there is no definitive answer but I just would really like some opinions on this.

Thank you guys/ladies for any advice/opinions!

Temazepam is an hypnotic, whereas clonazepam is not. Some people swear by temazepam, others don't. YMMV.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I know that Temazepam is more of sedative focused Benzo then most others but no Benzos have ever really knocked me out. Even 10mg Ambiens don't knock me out, nor cause any amnesic effects. CR's on the other hand used to get me to sleep but not for long.

I'm just hoping the Temaz will have some anxiolytic properties and help me stay asleep longer than klonopin. In theory, Kpins should help me stay asleep, point blank, due to the half life of it but as you said, YMMV.

I just have no experience with Temaz. I will be trying 30mg tomorrow night, regardless.

Looking forward to any more replies!

It's not as long lasting; you might want to get as much of it as you can, and use it as sparingly as you can to help taper off of benzos in general.

Temazepam is great for sleep in the sense that it's not overly long lasting, and it allows you to get REM sleep.

It's not a great anxiolytic on its own though, especially if you already used it for sleep the previous night.

So in general, I would use temazepam once per day if you can, and to try to work on doing something to mitigate benzo withdrawal symptoms as you switch over to a shorter acting benzo.

At first to transition you can take it twice per day, but I would seriously limit the number of days you do this. Or if you need to do it this way, split a 30mg dosage into two 15mg dosages for the day, or one 15mg dosage into two 7.5mg dosages.

30mg should help you sleep at the dose you say you were taking of klonipin

I would suggest adding 6mg of melatonin if you are intented to have a good sleep as temazepam does not last lomg and you might end up waking up within 3 hours. I dont like to use temazepam on day as it makes me act like a zombie.

Captain, thank you for the extensive reply. However, I won't be using Temazepam during the day at all. I was more or less just wondering if people who had tried Temazepam thought I might be able to get decent sleep if I took 30mg at the same time of night which I normally take my 1.5mg of Klonopin.

I guess I'll find out tonight.

Captain, thank you for the extensive reply. However, I won't be using Temazepam during the day at all. I was more or less just wondering if people who had tried Temazepam thought I might be able to get decent sleep if I took 30mg at the same time of night which I normally take my 1.5mg of Klonopin.

I guess I'll find out tonight.

With no tolerance, I can get a decent night's rest from just 7.5mg, and I will definitely go to sleep no questions asked on 15mg.

I think it should work well for you. :)

Thanks Cap, I appreciate it. Haha I probably should have just simplified my question like that in the first place. One other questions if you see this...

For you, if you took 15mg, would it just knock you out before any anxiolytic (granted, I do not know if you suffer from any anxiety conditions) properties took place or could you, say, chill and watch a movie under the influence of 15mg and then drift off to sleep a bit after dosing?

I'll post my experience tomorrow and then let this thread drift off into BL oblivion...

I use Temazepam for insomnia, and I thing it's the best sleeping pill available today, after they took Rohypnol off the market.

I just thought I would stop in and update.

For somebody who had been using 1.5-2mg of Klonopin for anxiety/insomnia for 8 months, I found 30mg of Temazepam to be very effective. Unlike the Klonopin, it actually made me want to sleep earlier and it didn't feel forced like Ambien and other Z drugs can do, I had no amnesic effects, just a calming of anxiety and the desire to sleep earlier.

However, I do wake up about 5 hours later and then fall back asleep but it's better than waking up 3-4 times a night on Klonopin.

I just thought some may be curious.

Expect a much quicker onset of effects, temazepam is the most rapidly absorbed and quickest acting benzo. It's hypnotic, whereas clonazepam is more anxiolytic and has little sedative action. Temazepam on the other hand is a heavy sedative that was meant to be prescribed for severe insomnia, according to the international prescription guidelines as you can see here.

Wikipedia Temazepam Article

It is a powerful hypnotic drug generally prescribed for the short-term treatment of severe insomnia in patients who have difficulty falling asleep[1] and maintaining sleep and where other treatments have failed. Therapeutic and supratherapeutic doses of the drug can manifest clinical effects of strong hypnosis, sedation, amnesia, and ataxia.[2]

well i get Temazepam for sleep and its the crappiest benzo I have ever encountered in my entire life besides phenazepam...

Well, I think it's safe to say that we all respond to different benzos very subjectively.

I can honestly say that 30mg of Temazepam gave me better anxiety relief then 2mg of Conazepam has in over 5 months, whether or not it is hypnotic based, and it did not hit me hard with the hypnotic "knock you out" properties, it just calmly relaxed me until I was ready to fall asleep.

That said, all of these benzos are prescribed to me and I talk to my doc on a weekly basis, so if any changes need to be made, they are.

I would never touch Phenazepam. Ever.

Well, I think it's safe to say that we all respond to different benzos very subjectively.

I can honestly say that 30mg of Temazepam gave me better anxiety relief then 2mg of Conazepam has in over 5 months, whether or not it is hypnotic based, and it did not hit me hard with the hypnotic "knock you out" properties, it just calmly relaxed me until I was ready to fall asleep.

That said, all of these benzos are prescribed to me and I talk to my doc on a weekly basis, so if any changes need to be made, they are.

I would never touch Phenazepam. Ever.

Hi, i saw your old post regarding switching from clonazepam to temthepam. I am in a same situation right now and just want to see if the transition from clonazepam to temathepam was smooth. Clonazepam no longer effective for sleep and i feel depressed and have anxiety. Are you still taking it for sleep? thanks!

I take Clonazepam technically 1 Mg, 3 X day. I have taken for years. Reciently I switched from 10 Mg Ambien/day for minimum 5 years, straight over to 30 Mg Temazepam, 1 time at night. I have not been on it two full weeks yet, but I already like it very much. It is effective as a sleep aid even though I had some three hour nights of sleep. It has nice hypnotic effects. Fun watching tv while it is kicking in.