• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

Does anyone have any recommendations for someone who likes sci fi fantasy stuff but has trouble reading dense material that requires lots of concentration? I don't know specifically what condition I have but I love reading I just have trouble focusing for long periods of time. I have to reread paragraphs multiple times sometimes. And sometimes I will have to reread entire chapters because I've not retained anything.

I've always wanted to read the Dark Tower and the Wheel of Time...also the Stormlight Archives...but I can't even finish the first book in any of those series 😣

Does anyone have any recommendations for someone who likes sci fi fantasy stuff but has trouble reading dense material that requires lots of concentration?

What about a book like The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin? It’s less than 300 pages and really good.

I have to ask. What kind of accent?
It's a British accent which I don't find itself obnoxious, but because of the way it's being narrated I'm getting too much of an impression of a comedy, like Monty Python or something, but then I end up with a headache once it hits me that this book is obviously not even a comedy. It wouldn't have been written by Adolf Hitler if it were...

Last edited:
It's a British accent which I don't find itself obnoxious, but because of the way it's being narrated I'm getting too much of an impression of a comedy, like Monty Python or something, but then I end up with a headache once it hits me that this book is obviously not even a comedy. It wouldn't have been written by Adolf Hitler if it were...

LOL. I love how Americans think Monty Python is "British Comedy" or a current British thing. You know they have been irrelevant for like 40 years, right?
Btw, the "British accent" does not exist. For a start you realize Britain contains 4 different countries which sound nothing alike? Not to mention an incredible variety of regional accents?
But if you mean that awful, pretentious "British accent" that American actors do or that super-posh accent that almost nobody but the queen has but that some British movies have then I totally agree. It comes across very pompous and snobby. It really bothers me that Americans think we all sound like that.
If you heard me talk, for example, you definitely wouldn't recognize my accent as a "British accent".
Actually, have you seen Billy Elliot (the 2000 movie, not the show)? That city's very close to mine so that's pretty much the accent.

LOL. I love how Americans think Monty Python is "British Comedy" or a current British thing. You know they have been irrelevant for like 40 years, right?
Btw, the "British accent" does not exist. For a start you realize Britain contains 4 different countries which sound nothing alike? Not to mention an incredible variety of regional accents?
But if you mean that awful, pretentious "British accent" that American actors do or that super-posh accent that almost nobody but the queen has but that some British movies have then I totally agree. It comes across very pompous and snobby. It really bothers me that Americans think we all sound like that.
If you heard me talk, for example, you definitely wouldn't recognize my accent as a "British accent".
Actually, have you seen Billy Elliot (the 2000 movie, not the show)? That city's very close to mine so that's pretty much the accent.
I'm not even an American and English isn't my first language, so there's a lot more accents of English which I find to be way less intelligible and more annoying if you were, that it makes this one sound like a breeze, I've been asked to locate this accent on the map, however, so I've naturally pointed to the UK, although I've never actually been there. But that's not even the actual point that I was trying to make, right, it is not the actual accent, but the context of this book.

I'm listening to Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler. I find it very difficult to enjoy, tragic almost, partly because of narrator's accent which I find is just obnoxious, and because I get a huge headache each time that I attempt to really listen to whatever is being said in order to understand this book's true meaning.

Read don't listen if ever possible, they are not analogous to one another. Comprehension is a fraction of when its read.

Mein kampf sucked. People read it cause it may seem like something bad ass to read but its actually a rambling shallow mess.

It's unbelievable people read these days. Going to quote a book-seller

''How many books have you read''
''Dunno, few I guess''
''A human life isn't enough to read everything''
''Here, I turn my back, -- steal the book''

Haha.

Mein kampf sucked. People read it cause it may seem like something bad ass to read but its actually a rambling shallow mess.
I agree with you on that and I wouldn't even dare to call it bad ass. It's completely irrelevant in this space time also, even from a historical perspective.

Last edited:
I agree with you on that and I wouldn't even dare to call it bad ass. It's completely irrelevant in this space time also, even from a historical perspective.

I just meant that seems to be the impetus behind alot of people reading it

@PoppyPoddy

That's interesting. One of the most cool post-apocalyptic novels I've ever read was Metro. I discovered them from the actual game as the game itself it's done by the book. Thank you for sharing, it got my attention. I will see what's up later.

Does anyone have any recommendations for someone who likes sci fi fantasy stuff but has trouble reading dense material that requires lots of concentration? I don't know specifically what condition I have but I love reading I just have trouble focusing for long periods of time. I have to reread paragraphs multiple times sometimes. And sometimes I will have to reread entire chapters because I've not retained anything.
😣
umm well my brain is mush and going to forget everything anyways. i have no recommendations, wish I did <3

@PoppyPoddy

That's interesting. One of the most cool post-apocalyptic novels I've ever read was Metro. I discovered them from the actual game as the game itself it's done by the book. Thank you for sharing, it got my attention. I will see what's up later.

I’m about to board a flight. Downloading Metro now. Thanks for the recommendation!

Just finished Blue Moon (the new Jack Reacher novel) - 4 Stars - I don't really need to write a review, if you've read Lee Child before you know what you're getting here.
Started A Fistful of Guts by Jon Athan this morning.

I finally took a few minutes to read a little Sherlock Holmes. It was really hard to put it down. ☹️ I miss reading more.

I finally took a few minutes to read a little Sherlock Holmes. It was really hard to put it down. ☹ I miss reading more.
i was quite surprised that mr Holmes used to inject cocaine, rather hardcore habit for such popular fiction character. i wonder if miss Marple did heroin :unsure:

I'm reading "Thiaoouba Prophecy". For the fourth time. And "Awake Dreaming" (Which I also have read multiple Times). I'm not bragging, I just don't have any money for books.

I'm reading "Thiaoouba Prophecy". For the fourth time. And "Awake Dreaming" (Which I also have read multiple Times). I'm not bragging, I just don't have any money for books.
I like reading books over again (unless of course they are awful!). Hopefully they are enjoyable.