• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

What are chills?

^It's probably just because of my greater familiarity with these chill sensations that I make these interoceptive distinctions. I wouldn't expect most people to pick them apart. I dug out some snippets from my informal investigation into developing a theory of ASMR, from Rickard (2004)

Panksepp’s analysis of chills in a time series experiment was novel. The students listened to the three pieces that turned out to be the most effective ones in another part of this study. They raised their hands to indicate when they had perceived a chill.Using this procedure, he discovered that crescendos seemed to somehow be effective, and that a solo instrument emerging from a softer orchestral background was especially influential. In another article, Panksepp & Bernatzky (2002) developed a hypothesis regarding the evolutionary roots of chill reactions. The authors proposed that music might contain acoustic properties of the separation calls of young animals, which stimulate caretakers to exhibit social care and attention. Thus, music may actually activate a separation-distress brain system that provides motivational urgency for social reunion responses….

From and article on phys.org:

“Why are opera singers' voices so distinctive and powerful? Why can we pick them out, without the help of amplification, against the sound of more than 100 accompanying instruments?

According to musicologist David Huron, we can do it because opera singers produce the bulk of their sound energy in the 3- to 4-kilohertz range. Humans are quite sensitive to this range, probably because it is also the range of a human scream. "When something scares the wits out of you," Huron said, you involuntarily raise the ventricular folds sitting on your vocal cords. "A major aspect of opera training involves bringing the ventricular folds under voluntary control" to produce this distinctive pitch. This finding is one of many pieces of evidence that Huron, a music professor at Ohio State University, has used to construct a theory of "music-evoked frisson"—the sensation of chills and gooseflesh that music sometimes provokes in listeners. …

… To Huron, the "distinct feeling of shivers running up and down your spine" is "one of the most sublime feelings induced by music"—one reason why he has spent a great deal of time studying the phenomenon. He began his talk by describing the physiological sensations that compose a frisson. Noting that music is not alone in producing this sensation, he listed several pleasant and unpleasant analogues, including unexpectedly being touched by a potential romantic partner, climbing into a warm bath, riding a roller coaster, encountering a wild animal and hearing fingernails on a chalkboard. Gooseflesh originally evolved to regulate body temperature: "When you feel cold, making your hair stand up on end is a good [compensatory] mechanism," he said. However, this physical reaction also is evoked by fear and used in displays of aggression. Why, then, is this sensation involved in such a pleasurable feeling? Huron theorized that frisson, and other pleasurable feelings like it, are caused by "cortical inhibition of the amygdala," an area of the brain involved in fright, "following fear-inducing stimuli."

The data seem to fit this model. According to Huron, researchers have discovered that several of the frisson's acoustic correlates—things that seem to induce the sensation in listeners—are fear-related. These correlates include rapidly large increases in the loudness of music, abrupt changes in tempo and rhythm, a broadening of frequencies and an increase in the number of sound sources, among other factors.

These are all "low-probability musical events" that surprise and startle us, Huron said. The factors that evoke a frisson are, in his mind, "suspiciously similar" to those that evoke fear. How does the mediation between fear and pleasure play out in the sensation of a frisson? The brain, Huron said, has two competing goals. One, the unconscious "fast path," is to "react as fast as possible, especially to danger." The other, the "slow, conscious path," is to "react as accurately as possible." When a listener experiences a frisson, Huron believes that he first reacts with fear toward the stimulus, then comes to enjoy it by consciously recognizing that the stimulus is actually harmless. … “
If, as research suggests, chalk board scratch chills and musical frissons genuinely obtain their abrasive or pleasurable effect on human consciousness through their similarity to instinctual primate warning and separation calls in response to distress, the fact that auditory ASMR triggers evoke such highly contrasting feelings of comfort and euphoria is intriguing. ASMR experiences are associated with empathetic projection and social intimacy, which also strikes me as relevant (I mean with the talk of "stimulating [primate] caretakers to exhibit social care and attention" and the fact that haircuts, which are the closest things humans do to primate grooming, are one of the biggest ASMR triggers... ). I think sonographic analyses of these various sounds should be conducted and tested on ASMR sample participants, and I have ideas about how to do it, but I have absolutely no means of actually conducting experiments nor do I have the needed clout in the relevant disciplines ...

Last edited:
Chills are very interesting phenomenon. I've been looking into them informally due to their prevalence in so-called "ASMR," which I'd like to see experimentally delineated, and because of the similarity these sorts of chills share with those commonly evoked by serotonin-releasing empathogens/stimulants. It's starting to look like the chills are associated with empathetic perception, and also that their psychoacoustic dimension (musical frission, chalkboard scratching) may have evolutionary roots in the sounds of primate warning calls.

Here's another full text

ASMR can be so amazing at times!

whole post quoted verbatim

Just wanted to say; this is, without a doubt, one of THE best posts on Bluelight.

I was unaware that I had bought into the misconception that Dopamine is a reward hormone hook, line, and sinker. With all the other combined knowledge I have, I was able to apply the information you provided to a possible (and very probable) explanation to the mechanism behind Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Pathological Addictions (Such as Compulsive Gambling and Shopping) and the impulsiveness due to ADHD (although, I believe that more is going on than just Dopamine reinforcing the reward aspect of emotion, in the case of ADHD)

You, sir, deserve an award.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome thread. Does this also explain the pleasurable sensation and chills received during the anticipation of receiving a reward, for example myself will always feel slightly high with chills includind weak bowels while organizing or waiting for my drugs to arrive, especially stimulants.

Awesome thread. Does this also explain the pleasurable sensation and chills received during the anticipation of receiving a reward, for example myself will always feel slightly high with chills includind weak bowels while organizing or waiting for my drugs to arrive, especially stimulants.

Yes, that's the reason for feeling the tension that builds when anticipating a reward.