• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Watch_Dogs

It definitely needs some bugs fixed... I've crashed to desktop.

uPlay is a nightmare... I'm considering patching it for single player only and removing uPlay. I didn't pay 70 bucks to not be able to play because of server issues...
ah bummer about the crash. o i hear ya about uplay man... i was all excited to play the other day and it was down when i wanted to log in =/ took a few retries but managed to connect. but yea with the obviously needed patching and uplay hiccups, not a smooth launch. only other games i played on uplay were far cry 3 and blood dragon. uplay never gave me a problem with those, but it was awhile after they launched.

i had to change the AA option it was set on by defualt, i forget which, cause it was giving me some weird texture issue. its fine now. only other thing is minimal stuttering when im driving really fast, not a game breaker or anything but just takes away from the immersion. hope they fix that so when i play through campaign 2nd time it will be smooth. still, i feel pretty lucky as im enjoying the game and haven't had any major issues like some of the posts i read on the subreddit http://www.reddit.com/r/watch_dogs/

On "ultra" how does PC look compared to PS4?
what magickal said. i haven't gamed on a console in years, i dunno if its just cause im so use to 60fps when it dips below i definitely feel a different and get annoyed heh, i couldn't imagine playing watch dogs @ 30fps on console.

what magickal said. i haven't gamed on a console in years, i dunno if its just cause im so use to 60fps when it dips below i definitely feel a different and get annoyed heh, i couldn't imagine playing watch dogs @ 30fps on console.

Sony needs to step up. It would be good to have a console that is up there with a PC.

Last edited:
Sony and Microsoft both dropped the ball this time around but that's a whole other thread.

I haven't been able to play the last few days. I flashed my video cards with a test BIOS and it bricked them so I had to put them in my old laptop to reflash them and I'm now waiting for new thermal paste to get here.

I decided to build a desktop as well.

4770k, ASUS Maximus VI Formula, 32GB DDR3-1600 @ CAS 9, 2x256GB Crucial M550, 1x2TB Seagate 7200RPM storage drive, eVGA 780 Ti Superclocked w/ACX, Corsair 750HX PSU, Corsair H100i water cooling loop packed into an NZXT Phantom 410 case. Parts start arriving tomorrow. Its going to be exclusively for gaming because I don't want to buy a monitor so I'll be running HDMI to my 55" Sony TV as the monitor.

Watch Dogs should run just a bit faster than it does on my 880M SLI laptop with that configuration although not a huge difference until nVidia optimizes the drivers some more. Two GTX 880M's are supposed to be equivalent to a 780 Ti at stock clocks and the superclocked card has a significant overclock out of the box and room to go higher.

As for the game play... I find myself running around hacking things and doing side quests and stealing cars than I do find myself actually doing the main game missions. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I just find the main game boring but the rest of it fun.

So what's the verdict?

It runs better on my desktop than my laptop which tells me it doesn't scale well for SLI (my laptop is faster in SLI than my single 780 Ti in my desktop is). I get annoyed with the stuttering when driving so I haven't played it in a few days.

^ i was sick all last week so i haven't been playing either. getting my energy back so plan on playing a lot this weekend.

i just ran it in sli on my 670s, haven't tried with sli disabled. i do too get the stuttering while driving, but its not terrible or anything. i run in borderless windowed mode which i read helps reduce the stuttering while driving. also this http://www.reddit.com/r/watch_dogs/comments/26fji7/get_rid_of_ultrasetting_stuttering_by_adding/

i was kinda hoping a patch would be released by now, haven't heard anything about one either tho quickly after release ubi's twitter mentioned working on one. regardless im looking forward to getting back into it. probably start the campaign over since i can't remember it too clearly.

tumblr_mwr99dRr2b1qdeg8zo1_400.jpg
tumblr_n6eitwgXJY1rj26nxo1_500.png

need more cara cosplay lol

Last edited:
Check out this page, it has a lot of performance tips

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Watch_Dogs

There is actually a tool that lets you configure all the hidden settings. I'm gonna try it tonight. Was playing on the desktop last night and my 780 Ti stutters far less frequently than my 880M SLI config. Didn't know about borderless window though, I'll have to look into that.

The story is quite forgettable. I haven't done any campaign work in days now...

^ that's a shame about the story. lately my preferred gaming experience is a single player, immersive story.

the gang hide-out assassination quests are pretty fun. need to be repeatable tho, i'd like to complete them by using different tactics/paths.

what a coincidence you mention the configuration tool, i just saw a post about it and am going to give it a go as well tonight.

you know with ubi not doing a good job on optimizing the game for pc, im really skeptical about what they're showing at E3. sure they got great titles lined up, but if they aren't going to deilver in terms of optimization at launch its best to wait for reviews or pick em up on sale later on.

not to go way off topic but "the crew" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crew_(video_game) looks awesome and i love the concept... but here we have an open world racing game with supposedly minimal to no loading, now look at driving in watch_dogs open world... stuttering. im cautiously optimistic.

So yeah...

This game actually does get a lot more fun. I hadn't even unlocked the hide-out assassination or being able to explode people yet.

Also, I still haven't used a single skill point lol. I'm just building em up.

I am really irritated with the graphical glitches though. I don't know how people who don't have powerful nVidia cards are playing... On any setting except for nVidia's TXAA, I get horrendous graphical glitches. It starts off with some reflection getting trapped and then over time, more and more reflections get trapped and it makes for tearing until you change AA modes.

I don't like TXAA because I think it blurs too much but its the only way to get smooth gameplay without graphical glitches. And even with TXAA, sometimes when I start the game it will have textures flickering and everything else so I have to drop down to MSAA and back to TXAA.

The bloom effect is over the top too. When the sun is out, the screen will literally blind you. I'm all for realism but when it impacts the game to the point that you can't see where you're driving, that's taking it too far.

*wow, haven't used a single skill point lol ;p i have no regrets spending them, im not playing on hardest difficulity so no real trouble but some are very useful, recently been using a lot of the steam pipe one for chases.

im nearing the end of the campaign 25 hours of gameplay, just recently started to only focus on campaign since i've been using "theworse 0.7" mod. he just released .8 http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=390438

i haven't tried v .8 yet but .7 is an absolute game saver. the visual improvements but more importantly just performance improvement make the game so much more enjoyable.

i think i experienced the same glitches that were cleared up by switching AA as well on launch day.

gotta say it again, ubisoft really messed up here. this game was delayed 6 months for so called "polish" then to release a game that was obviously downgraded visually and horrendous performance just shows a lack of competence, not to mention they released a patch that did absolutely nothing to resolve performance issues.

ubi has some titles im interested in but i will NEVER buy another game from them at launch.

gotta give a huge props to "theworse" here is one guy working on "mountain dew and paypal donations" doing what a huge company/team/studio like ubisoft couldn't even do with all the time they had to fix the game. would be funny if it weren't so sad.

Last edited:
I think its far less about being unable to fix it and it is about being unwilling to fix it... If it gets out just how bad the PS4 and XB1 really are, it will absolutely destroy console sales and people will lose faith in the console as a gaming platform. Since Ubisoft makes 80 bucks a game on those platforms and 60 if they're lucky on the PC, they'd lose a lot of money if the consoles fail.

It used to be that you got a console knowing that it was limited compared to your PC but gave you a larger library of titles and a consistent user experience... Now that the PC has had major reworks of all of its frameworks, it is much easier to have a consistent experience across machines, developers just don't take advantage of it.

The PS3 and Xbox 360 offered experiences that weren't currently possible at launch on a PC but the PS4 and the XB1 both launched at a time when there were already video cards that could surpass them entirely and that's what they get for relying on AMD for their graphics technology.

Anyway, enough of my rant.

I will not be buying another Ubisoft title... I *STILL* get errors when trying to connect to an online game... -_-

They wonder why people torrent their products... if you look at the history of Ubisoft, there isn't a single release they've made that went off without some show stopping issues in years.

im about half way through act 2 at the moment, im really enjoying it.

I have heard that the game play was really good, but the general feeling on Aiden is that he is a soulless asshole who isnt right for the main character...

Shit like that doesnt bother me.

epic newb point yesterday was when it took me about 10 minutes to work out how to upgrade my crafting skills for IED's i had something like 30 points to use and then went nuts with it.