• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Relapse Wanting to be Sober

Thank you deathera. Congratulations on being 7 months clean. That's great and good work on attending therapy.

I think it's terrible that people with genuine chronic pain are labelled as, and treated like, addicts.

I wish I would have been labeled as an addict each time I was going to doctor asking for drugs (actually I never asked as I just explained my symptoms) :)

Actually when I think twice about it I don't wish that as then I wouldn't have become who I currently am unless I wouldn't have gone through what I have gone through.

There is a silver lining in every cloud.

I honestly do believe I am a better person now than I was before my drug abuse as I have had to deal with the stuff that lead me to abuse drugs. I haven't even finished ORT yet but I am already looking forward to learn everyday about what life brings to me.

I wish I would have been labeled as an addict each time I was going to doctor asking for drugs (actually I never asked as I just explained my symptoms) :)

Actually when I think twice about it I don't wish that as then I wouldn't have become who I currently am unless I wouldn't have gone through what I have gone through.

There is a silver lining in every cloud.

I honestly do believe I am a better person now than I was before my drug abuse as I have had to deal with the stuff that lead me to abuse drugs. I haven't even finished ORT yet but I am already looking forward to learn everyday about what life brings to me.

Mr Root, but when you were going to the doctor were you looking to get high or to treat chronic pain? As far as I know, strong painkillers that aren't euphoric don't exist. Does anybody else find that really fascinating? You'd think that modern medicine would be able to come up with a drug that both (a) treats severe pain effectively and (b) is not euphoric (and I'm not counting the euphoria associated with relief from pain).

Personally I'd hate to be labelled an addict if I genuinely needed strong painkillers.

Glad you're doing so well Mr R and I definitely agree with you that coming through something like drug addiction can shape you as a person in a positive way.

When I was first given painkillers I was just looking for some pain relief. I could use them for a while as directed.

Actually the pain relief I get out of the opioids occurred just for a few months at a maximum and I had to switch from codeine to tramadol and then to oxycodone to get the same relief and then the doses started to escalate and I finally I noticed the pain is still the same but I just am not bothered about it because it feels better to be on opioid than without.

Shit hit the fan the exact moment I crushed Oxycontin in my mouth for the first time as I thought I could get rid of the sudden increase in pain I had then. Although If I hadn't done that I would still be upping my opioid dose or switching to more stronger one and would probably be wearing a fentanyl patch right now.

I have participated into a drug trial in which I used a painkiller that wasn't euphoric and actually killed the pain atleast during the time of that study.

I know I didn't get the control drug or placebo because the control drug would have been in the smaller pill and if I would have been receiving placebo then both the smaller pill and the bigger pill I had to take would have been made of inert stuff.

It was Cebrananopadol and it is made by same company that created tramadol and tapentadol. The reason why it works is that because it targets ORL-1 receptor instead of the usual opioid receptors.

Funny thing was although that it can't treat acute pain as if you would for example hit your toe to something you would get the same amount of pain stimulus as normally but it really helped for continuous pain you would have in a chronic pain situation.

I hope they'll manage to get it into market soon if it doesn't have any problems found while in trials.

I do believe that opioids shouldn't be used for prolonged time unless for cancer or palliative care. For a chronic pain there are also pregabalin and gabapentin as well as some antidepressants for example which all seem to be more efficient atleast for me when it goes down to actual pain relief.

As I have participated in many support groups for those suffering from chronic pain I haven't heard of anyone who has actually had any real benefit from prolonged opioid use.

Although this might sound like ranting from a former drug abuser I still believe that the best way for helping chronic pain sufferers is not to prescribe opioids for prolonged perioids.