• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants VYVANSE MEGATHREAD ⬅ your Vyvanse thread has been merged here

I prefer Dexedrine to Adderall in every conceivable way. I'd say it's worth a shot, definitely bring it up to your doc.

Liked both a million times more than Vyvanse, which gave me a very dirty feeling along with a near total lack of effectiveness. Right up there with Ritalin, Provigil and Nuvigil when it comes to my most disliked forms of speed.

I have BP2 and we suspect Add or adhd. We are going to test for this soon. You say this also helps with your BO? If so that is great news! I hope I have the same results. I hope I can get my doctor to prescribe V for me as well. Do you have any advice as to how I can get him to use this specific medicine for me? Thanks MELZ1108

Howdy Melz, welcome and glad you're finding helpful advice.

Just a reminder to everyone, even though it hasn't been a problem, we can't give advice on how to get specific scripts. We don't want anyone to look like they're trying to mislead their doctor, even if it's all well-meaning.

Broad good-faith generalizations are OK.

Today I was prescribed Adderall IR 15 mg in the morning. It will help me concentrate and get more things done. I'm not interested in abusing it. I haven't had Adderall in many years and I forgot about the miserable comedown. I'll see how it goes.

That was from November 27th when I was first prescribed Adderall IR 15 mg in the morning. So it's been about 4 months with only 15mg in the morning.

Saw the psychiatrist today and asked for an afternoon dose. She told me the Adderall IR would stay in my system 9-10 hours, uh no! The Adderall IR wears off in a few hours. I don't know where she's getting her info from, but you have to play along with doctors to a certain extent. I told her an afternoon dose would not disrupt my sleep whatsoever. It took some convincing, but today she decided to do 12.5 mg am and 12.5 in the afternoon. That way it's twice a day and not only once in the morning. Just glad I got through to her.

The pharmacy had to order 12.5 mg Adderall for twice a day which should be available tomorrow.

The psychiatrist is mistaken thinking Adderall IR lasts 9-10 hours. You won't feel anything after a few hours. Bottom line. So I'll wait until tomorrow to get 60 (instead of 30 pills) for am and pm. At least it worked out.

Best thing about Adderall IR is no suicidal comedown like with Adderall XR. Every one is different though.

Last edited:
Amphetamine has a half-life of around ten hours. There's plenty still in you in the afternoon. How long it works for your focus depends on dosage.

Before you had 450mg of mixed amphetamine salts a month, now you get 750mg/month, 66% increase in daily allowance.

I hope it works; tolerance is nasty, and a bid dose means it'll come faster. Before you'd come down every night, start the day at zero. Now you'll always have some in you, never taking a break.

If you take it together, you'll get more high than therapy, which means a comedown every evening. If you need it for work/school, try to stick with a dose you can't actually "feel".

A 30mg Vyvanse will give you more dextroamphetamine than your 15mg Adderall, btw. A 70mg vyvanse will give you a fat smear of twice the base amphetamine as your new 25mg dosing.

Amphetamine has a half-life of around ten hours. There's plenty still in you in the afternoon. How long it works for your focus depends on dosage.

Before you had 450mg of mixed amphetamine salts a month, now you get 750mg/month, 66% increase in daily allowance.

I hope it works; tolerance is nasty, and a bid dose means it'll come faster. Before you'd come down every night, start the day at zero. Now you'll always have some in you, never taking a break.

If you take it together, you'll get more high than therapy, which means a comedown every evening. If you need it for work/school, try to stick with a dose you can't actually "feel".

A 30mg Vyvanse will give you more dextroamphetamine than your 15mg Adderall, btw. A 70mg vyvanse will give you a fat smear of twice the base amphetamine as your new 25mg dosing.

Thank you for the explanation! What I was trying to tell her is even though the Adderall IR lasts in your system, I don't actually "feel" the concentration and motivation after about 4 hours. There isn't a nasty comedown, it's like a bit of a tired feeling and no focus. I can tell it has worn off.

The worst comedown was from Adderall XR, not IR like I have.

I tried Vyvanse before the Adderall. Vyvanse triggered paranoid psychosis. It was the worst experience of my life and I ended up in the hospital with a new diagnosis of bipolar 1 with ADHD. I thought my family were conspiring against me and that the government was after me. It didn't help that I was learning about different things going on in government so it spooked me big time and made me extremely paranoid along with the Vyvanse.

Thank you for the suggestion, but Adderall IR is working well and absolutely no paranoia. I'm lucky my psychiatrist even let me try another amphetamine, but the hospitalization from Vyvanse was close to 2 years ago and I think she trusts me because she's seeing improvement and I'm in a steady relationship.

Just want to mention, the best thing for Adderall comedown and even withdrawals is Gabapentin. Lyrica would work too I suppose, but I only have Gabapentin. It smooths everything out and makes you feel normal and stable. It's been a lifesaver for withdrawals.

Last edited:
Well, now I'm worried that you're taking a half dose of something that not long ago caused a psychotic episode requiring hospitalization. I imagine if you're bipolar you're also on medication for it, hopefully, and amphetamine doesn't usually work with those on board.

Plus, one of the big precipitators of mania (aka psychotic episode) is disturbed sleep, something amphetamines are known to do once in a while.

Recently was forced to switch to vyvanse. I initially didn't mind it, but now it's very hit or miss. Has ups and downs. Whereas adderall was predictable I knew when the comedown would happen, with vyvanse I'll think I'm coming down then get hit with a little and it's just an irritable feeling.

Once I go back to adderall I'll never be touching this stuff again. It may work for some but not for me.

Well, now I'm worried that you're taking a half dose of something that not long ago caused a psychotic episode requiring hospitalization. I imagine if you're bipolar you're also on medication for it, hopefully, and amphetamine doesn't usually work with those on board.

Plus, one of the big precipitators of mania (aka psychotic episode) is disturbed sleep, something amphetamines are known to do once in a while.

Thank you for your concern, but Adderall IR doesn't make me paranoid at all. Vyvanse did. I'm no longer on Vyvanse.
The psychiatrist was worried that an afternoon dose of Adderall IR could possibly keep me awake, but I've experimented in the past by taking one in the afternoon and I was still able to sleep like a baby at night.

Like if I take Adderall IR at 2 pm, I'm already "down" from it by 6 or 7 pm. I don't sleep till 10 or 11 pm anyway.

Adderall does wonders for my ADHD and lifts me out of a depression. It's like a smooth energy and focus, nothing hyper like with mania.

Recently was forced to switch to vyvanse. I initially didn't mind it, but now it's very hit or miss. Has ups and downs. Whereas adderall was predictable I knew when the comedown would happen, with vyvanse I'll think I'm coming down then get hit with a little and it's just an irritable feeling.

Once I go back to adderall I'll never be touching this stuff again. It may work for some but not for me.

Yeah, it's best to stick with what works well with your chemistry. With Adderall, some prefer IR and others prefer XR. I just remember the worst suicidal comedown from XR when I took it in my early 20s. Back then, I didn't even know an IR version existed. I'm never going back to XR.

I am always surprised by the hate Vyvanse gets, considering it's the purest available, and the strongest. Most people who have an adverse reaction would think of the levo-amphetamine in their Adderall, with its still-unexplained quad-salt racemic mixture.

Some might recognize that a single broad crest of absorbed drug would be a lot more "even" and predictable in its effects, especially considering Vyvanse isn't affected by what you eat for breakfast, like both Adderall IR and XR. I think it's got the highest concentration maxima too.

Speaking of breakfast, I think half the kids out there complaining about what they think is a comedown are really feeling their blood sugar plummet, after it was held artificially high with the drug, and they weren't hungry enough to eat lunch. A long acting version helps with that.

Hopefully, everyone realizes that an active ingredient is not transmutated into something chemically alien in your brain when you switch the letters after the brand.

But dang it, you just can't snort Vyvanse, can you. Doesn't have the same resale value.

Something that I didn't know for the longest time is that with all stimulants, acidic drinks should be avoided. I was clueless about that. I used to take it with a soft drink or fruit juice and that stops the medicine from being absorbed properly.

Found this somewhere on the intranets:

"All of the stimulant-class medications are moderately strong bases (pH 12-13). If these medications are present in the lumen of the gut with organic acids such as citric acid or ascorbic acid (vitamin C), the stimulant medication is ionized and cannot be absorbed from the gut into the blood stream. The following foods should be avoided for 1 hour before and after taking a dose of stimulant class medication:
Citrus fruit
Citrus juices
Fruit juices with citric acid as a preservative
Sodas/carbonated beverages
Kool Aid, lemonade, Gatorade
Poptarts, granola bars, breakfast bars,
Oral suspension medications
Vitamins and food supplements containing vitamin C."

Some stimulant medications like amphetamine are alkaloids with a pKa around 9.5, same as most amino acids. Unique to meth/amph is that acidic foods reduce their absorption.

This isn't true for Vyvanse, which isn't amphetamine in your guts, but actually lisdexamphetamine, which looks like a weird dipeptide to your body. It's absorbed in a different way, and not affected by intestinal pH to the same extent.

From the Adderall XR package insert, I found this graph of concentration over time for XR and IR dosing:

You can see that they're indistinguishable. Or, a hold of about an hour before the 2nd IR dose kicks in.

Very interesting, thanks for the chart! I'm only going to take it with water from now on.
I've read about people taking Tums 30 minutes before Adderall in order to reduce the acid in stomach and make the medicine last longer, something like that. It works for some, but others said it gave them the worst headache ever for the whole day and only increased side effects. I'm not going to take any chances.

No, absorbed with amide to lysine still intact. Hydrolysis happens in red blood cells, long after absorption.

Minuscule chance of hydrolysis occurring in gastric phase, but that probably takes enzymatic assistance. I don't think anything specifically cleaves KF bonds.

I am always surprised by the hate Vyvanse gets, considering it's the purest available, and the strongest. Most people who have an adverse reaction would think of the levo-amphetamine in their Adderall, with its still-unexplained quad-salt racemic mixture.

Some might recognize that a single broad crest of absorbed drug would be a lot more "even" and predictable in its effects, especially considering Vyvanse isn't affected by what you eat for breakfast, like both Adderall IR and XR. I think it's got the highest concentration maxima too.

Speaking of breakfast, I think half the kids out there complaining about what they think is a comedown are really feeling their blood sugar plummet, after it was held artificially high with the drug, and they weren't hungry enough to eat lunch. A long acting version helps with that.

Hopefully, everyone realizes that an active ingredient is not transmutated into something chemically alien in your brain when you switch the letters after the brand.

But dang it, you just can't snort Vyvanse, can you. Doesn't have the same resale value.

It's quite the misunderstood drug for one. I think most of the hate it gets is from people used to amphetamine formulations that weren't in a pro-drug form, which is new to them. People switched from their beloved adderal or dexedrine to 'yet another new drug', I'm sure there's a psychological factor somewhere there. There certainly are people who prefer lisdexamphetamine over other forms of amphetamine, perhaps they just aren't as vocal on the internet? If we make a fair comparison (equivalent amount of base to base, IV RoA to eliminate bioavailability variances) Vyvanse will end up having a lower Cmax and longer Tmax by the virtue of it's nature as a pro-drug, when compared to d-amphetamine sulphate for example. There may be individual metabolic variance at play which affects either of the drugs positively or negatively, for me though Vyvanse has always been the reliable one, with the onset of effects beginning at the same time like a clockwork at least.

Myself. I know more about the pharmacodynamics of amphetamine than of the basic pharmacokinetics of cleaving lysine from lisdexaphetamine...