• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Vyvanse dosing, it?s mechanism of action and side effects

Bioshockszz

Bluelighter
I take Vyvanse 30mg in the morning and have also tried 30mg morning and 30mg lunchtime. I’ve also tried 50mg once in the morning.

The 30mg in the morning wears off after a few hours. Anything more than 30mg at once seems to be too strong for me (my eyes go strange and when I’m looking at someone and look away, my head moves away while my eyes stay focused on them and I can’t help it!) the positives work very well but I can’t deal with that effect, I know people notice.

30mg twice a day works very well and I don?’t get the side effect I mentioned above. I take the second dose 3 hours after the first. However it does cause insomnia when I do this. But it does make me question the vyvvanse mechanism of action. Why does this staggering affect me differently, is it because the lisdexamfetamine is all dumped into the gut at once and my body can’t handle 40mg at once but can handle 60mg spread over 3 hours?

Vyvanse also causes a smell to leak from my anus (no it’s not wind, it’s not bad hygiene - it is massively affected if I eat sugar, red meat and caffeine - it’s defintely something on the inside leaking out, like a valve isn’t closing or something. Could be dehydration. I have had this problem before vyvanse eg if I had a bowel movement and then sat in a car or led down, a smell just leaked from me like a valve down there isn’t closing. When I stand up and move about the smell goes and the valve closes). The problem is worse and different of vyvanse. It is persistent. Could it be a hemmoroid causing something not to close properly? It’s a big problem and my doctor dismissed it as he’d never heard of it.

appetite is reduced especially if I take two doses and this is a problem for two reasons: one as I’m avoiding things like sugar and red meat because of this mystery smell that it produces (and this smell spreads far and wide, I know from reactions), I’m not getting enough calories during the day and my brain just doesn’t have have the resources and is feeling drained. Two I’m underweight already. Hoping pregabalin can boost my appetite as a nice side effect (I’m starting that for anxiety), but this smell is a big issue and it’s a REAL issue (I’m well aware that amphetamines can cause paranoia and a sensitive nose - this is Way beyond a small whiff and a whisper I thought I heard, this is something that has occurred before medications and is now amplified!)

The effect I get from vyvanse when it works at its peak effectiveness is something I have strived to extend because it is life changing for me when it works. My interactions are better, my work is better my mood is better, my confidence is great and I become the person I want to be. It’s quite short lived. Strange question but is there any way I could be like that without the vyvanse (meditation, CBT, visualisation, hypnosis?)

its not perfect I do also have anxiety and I am starting pregabalin for this. It’s frustrating because it?s shown me how life could be, how I can be in the state of mind that would give me the life I want to live. It’s not just like I’m laying around with a high, it’s my interactions, my actions that improve when I have that dopamine boost in the pre frontal cortex. Exercise and healthy eating don’t give me that although I do that anyway because it’s healthy. The benefits of vyvvanse just don’t last as long as I would like amd IR boosters are a big no for me, I crash horribly and they make me subdued.

a few questions there, hopefully someone has experience and wisdom to answer

Thanks

Last edited:
I jumped right in here when I saw a fellow human spewing gasses from his asshole. As a metformin user, mine are more MOAB-level, and never pre-arm at least. So I hit up the usual reviews in august publications like Gut. Finding nothing I went through old notes on the shift in gut flora in response to metformin (which makes you essentially glucose-intolerant). Nothing about leaky valves, much less exacerbated by stimulant pro-drugs.

Then I remembered a different stimulant pro-drug, a phenylpropanyl propynamine, I believe, known to cause gaseous emissions as a side effect. A weird RC with effects persisting up to 17 days, despite its water solubility and apparent metabolism. I heard rumors that symptoms are tightly linked to dosage, with a therapeutic window between effective and much less effective of 10^6mg.

You don't sound like the type to order research chemicals from shady internet companies or rip off your friends' Parkinson's Disease-suffering uncles, so I really doubt it's that. Honestly, if your asshole is leaking when you sit, I'd try to stand as much as possible in public, or look into those adult undergarments. Also, avoid sugar, red meat and caffeine.

As for your Vyvanse, know that it's D-amphetamine and L-Lysine joined via amide bond. Your idiot guts think it's a phenylalanine-lysine dipeptide, maybe a new artificial sweetener, and actively suck it from their lumens and send it to your liver, which does not metabolize it, but thence to your red corpuscles which do. Once they do, it's pure D-amphetamine flowing into your brain.

It works a bit like an extended-release amphetamine, since it has that added hydrolysis step, which I think is the rate-limiting one. It smears out any bolus of drug but is mainly about making kids not snort their medicine. If you stagger your dosing it's no different than staggering IR amphetamines, or any other drug.

I also don't think any part of that is saturable. Or affected by p-glycoprotein, MAOIs, CYP2D6, Vivitrol, DXM, can't be cold-water extracted and does not potentiate kratom, or cause QT prolongation or impacted feces. It is illegal in Florida and Kansas.

ETA: Available OTC without imprint in some Canadian provinces. Though locals say it's mostly just fent and MSM now.

Last edited:
Wtf is up with these weird threads? Oh well- Apparently if he/she is shot, multiple times like Quentin Tarantino style, their L/-D amphetamine will continue to make their life great while scaring away people with the blood gore and odor of a faulty rectum

Wtf is up with these weird threads? Oh well- Apparently if he/she is shot, multiple times like Quentin Tarantino style, their L/-D amphetamine will continue to make their life great while scaring away people with the blood gore and odor of a faulty rectum
its just a case of a medication prescribed by a psychiatrist making ones mental health significantly improved and quality of life better, but with some physical side effects causing problems. If someone has experience this they may be able to help in a way my doc couldn’t as Scrofula has. If not then I don’t see why you would waste your spare time making a post such as you have. Get a hobby

There's always a thread or two on the front page that make it seem like some people's hobby is just fucking with people. That's what Lorne was getting at, after leaving one by a guy with an impossible medication list.

Or is he trying to say I'm encouraging them? The bleeding-out bit was a me-reference, to hypovalemia and Vyvanse hydrolysis, Lorne, it was ON TOPIC.

Anyway, you should be more polite to your elders in the forum, OP. That's the third one at least you've been rude to.

Now, an interesting question, do you notice a dose dependence with your valvature and other stims? I mean, stims are known to "move" things, after all.

Seemed rude to me but maybe I was a little sensitive.

Valvature? The smell is worse the more I take ie an afternoon dose. Still noticeable on 30mg. I have to avoid aforementioned foods. I can’t avoid sitting as I have to at work and it’s hard having to avoid a chocolate bar when I could do with a boost of energy. Fruit is even worse? An almost rotting smell is produced if I eat this when I’ve had vyvanse!

I get a funny sensation when the smell leaking occurs, almost like a wriggling feeling in the rectum, when that goes away, the smell goes away. Very bizarre. Actually affects me a lot mentally too. I’ve got a feeling it could be partly dehydration in that area caused by vyvvanse. I drink a tonne of water but still my mouths and lips get dry so other areas could too and I have a feeling that could partly cause whatever this is or at least it doesn’t help.

Im not an expert or doctor or anything like that but amphetamines do cause your gut to process things faster but sometimes slower, as alot of water seems to be drawn out of the gut/stomach when one ingests vyvanse.part of your problem could be your gut is already overactive or somehow its not processing food/waste correctly due to a preexisting sensitivity.

With that said, I think you should focus on the root of the problem and see a doctor about that leakyness, whatever it may be, as vyvanse may simply be exacerbating a preexisting sensitivity to certain foods, etc etc etc. And yeah, I get googly eyed when I take an above therapeutic dose of amphetamine. I think that just means you may be taking too much at once. I mean, for all its benefits in individuals with ADHD it's still not some miracle drug, it has its side effects and limitations.

Although I don't see how taking 50mg at once in the morning, getting googly eyed(i.e: Overstimulated) allows you sleep at night while you suffer from insomnia by staggering the doses. If anything that's just a huge indicator (to me at least) that 50mg is too much and you should lower your dosage and perhaps supplement in the afternoon with something like caffeine. It's like, the vyvanse only has so much of your untapped potential to let you have access to before it stops working, unless you slowly build your tolerance over time.

And again, it being a prescription medication means that over time as your body gets used to it (much like illicit drugs) it shouldn't be hard to perhaps talk to your dr about bumping your dosage up or even something like Dexedrine it 5/10mg to be prescribed instead of the second 30mg vyvanse

Last edited:
I also don't think any part of that is saturable. Or affected by p-glycoprotein, MAOIs, CYP2D6, Vivitrol, DXM, can't be cold-water extracted and does not potentiate kratom, or cause QT prolongation or impacted feces. It is illegal in Florida and Kansas.

ETA: Available OTC without imprint in some Canadian provinces. Though locals say it's mostly just fent and MSM now.

Scrofula - what are you referring to here? Vyvanse?

I think he's referring to the in vivo conversion of lys-dexamphetamine to dexamphetamine.

Scrofula - what are you referring to here? Vyvanse? thanks :)

I was referring to the vermiform coelenterate slowly becoming self-aware in OP's colon (as evidenced by "wriggling").

Sorry, should put snark quotes around that so folks don't think you can actually buy Vyvanse OTC in Toronto.

I do have a point in saying Vyvanse is not amphetamine when it's in your GI tract. It looks, to your body, like a peptide, a tiny snippet from a protein. So it's not going to have the same side effects as Adderall, while it's waiting to be absorbed. So less potential discomfort and worry about washing it down with orange juice*. Once it's been absorbed and converted, though, it's a potent stimulant, and those tend to get your bowels moving.

The conversion of Vyvanse to amphetamine and lysine does NOT happen in your liver, it happens in your red blood cells. So it won't be changed by grapefruit juice or other liver enzyme inhibitors or inducers. No "fast metabolizer" stuff to worry about.

g0to said:
Although I don't see how taking 50mg at once in the morning, getting googly eyed(i.e: Overstimulated) allows you sleep at night while you suffer from insomnia by staggering the doses

That's no different than drinking a 20oz coffee at 7am, getting jittery but sleepy come bedtime; and drinking a 10oz at 7am and a 10oz noon--you would have a harder time taking a nap at 5pm if you go the stagger.

In fact, the bigger single dose might help you sleep because of a rebound as it wears off, also a sign your dose might be too high (along with dose-dependent exhaust problems).

*Technically, an acidic stomach could hydrolyze the Vyvanse before it's absorbed. But only a tiny percent, please don't go drinking muriatic acid to do that, all you'd get with 100% conversion is a faster onset, a whole hour.