• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Vyvanse and blood pressure?

fairyfeathers

Greenlighter
Hi all! After about 40 years of struggling unmedicated with ADHD and ADD, I finally saw a doctor yesterday who immediately recognized that I have pretty severe adult ADD. She prescribed me 30mg Vyvanse, which I am to take once a day. My only concern is that I have mild high blood pressure (the highest it usually gets is something like 140/80), but I take 80mg propanolol at night, which has controlled it pretty well. I don't have any other heart problems or chest pain or anything like that, and the doctor seemed unconcerned about the Vyvanse causing problems in this regard. I filled the prescription last night, but decided to start it on the weekend so I know what to expect in terms of how I feel.

Wondering what other people's experience has been with this? If you have high blood pressure, did Vyvanse increase it in a dangerous way? Did propanolol or some other beta blocker keep it in check? I checked for drug interactions, and there were none listed for vyvanse and propanolol.

I would love to finally take something for my ADD - especially because my symptoms have gotten worse over the past couple years, and I feel like my life is total chaos, all the time. But I don't want to have a heart attack. Can anyone give advice?

Hey fairy,

I have no experience with Vyvanse, but I would be inclined to think that the doctor who prescribed the drug is familiar with your elevated blood pressure and use of propanolol. Every doctor who prescribed me medication was well aware of my medical history and the medications I was taking. It would seem rather reckless to prescribe a drug without knowing a patient's history. Dunno. Someone else on here can most likely enlighten you more than I can ...

Thank you - yes, I gave her the list of medications I already take, and told her about my history of high blood pressure. She didn't seem worried. I'm just scared, because while I've had adderall in the past on occasion, I've never taken an amphetamine every day.

Hey fairy,

I have no experience with Vyvanse, but I would be inclined to think that the doctor who prescribed the drug is familiar with your elevated blood pressure and use of propanolol. Every doctor who prescribed me medication was well aware of my medical history and the medications I was taking. It would seem rather reckless to prescribe a drug without knowing a patient's history. Dunno. Someone else on here can most likely enlighten you more than I can ...

It is lisdexamfetamine, so yes, it will increase your blood pressure. Being an amphetamine, it primarily acts on dopamine and norepinephrine. The increase in norepinephrine is essentially what causes the spike in blood pressure. It's not a bad idea to have propanolol on board. No interactions with lisdexamfetamine that I'm aware of.

Cheers

Thank you - yes, I gave her the list of medications I already take, and told her about my history of high blood pressure. She didn't seem worried. I'm just scared, because while I've had adderall in the past on occasion, I've never taken an amphetamine every day.
You should be fine. Perhaps monitor your blood pressure on a more regular basis if you're worried about it. Some pharmacies where I live have sphygmomanometers for customers to check their own blood pressure. I knew people with BP of 180/110 who continue to take methamphetamine. Not wise. The BP you mentioned is high, but not THAT high.

I dont even consider 140/80 high blood pressure. Its slightly elevated, but is it "high"? Not really. Amphetamines will raise your blood pressure though, just watch it. Talk to your doctor if it raises even more when you take it.

Propranolol only has a half life of 4-5 hours. Maybe I suggest talking to your doctor about switching to another high blood pressure medication that has a longer half life. I currently take Lisinopril which lasts 12 hours.
Since you take it at night, it might not have that much effect if you take the vyvanse in the morning. Either start taking propranolol also in the morning, or switch to something you can take in teh morning that lasts longer.
I don't have any medical background, but I would bring this up with my doctor and see what he or she thinks.

I also have high BP (strong family history) and take 20 mg dextroamphetamine sulfate (IR) every morning, with the occasional 10 mg in the afternoon. This all started years before I saw an internist for my BP. Now I'm on lisinopril (at bedtime) in addition to the d-amp, and my blood pressure is stable and healthy. I'd recommend monitoring your BP and seeing an internist to determine which, if any, BP meds would be needed to counteract the effects of amphetamine. You can have your cake and eat it too.

You can expect variable effects, from the blunting of the vyvanse, to no change at all in its effect, to a nice synergy thanks to blocking the beta receptors; and then to an increase, decrease, or no change in BP. Bear in mind propranolol has a stronger effect lowering heart rate than blood pressure - generally speaking.

Regarding the short half-life, that's only true for the IR versions. 80mg likely refers to the XR version.

Propranolol only has a half life of 4-5 hours. Maybe I suggest talking to your doctor about switching to another high blood pressure medication that has a longer half life. I currently take Lisinopril which lasts 12 hours.
Since you take it at night, it might not have that much effect if you take the vyvanse in the morning. Either start taking propranolol also in the morning, or switch to something you can take in teh morning that lasts longer.
I don't have any medical background, but I would bring this up with my doctor and see what he or she thinks.

Thanks - but I should have been clearer - I take extended release propanolol, so it's supposed to last 24 hours.