• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Vote for your favorite Opiate (in terms of warmth, Euphoria, bliss, etc.)

Your favorite opiate

  • Heroin

  • Oxycodone

  • Hydromorphone

  • Morphine

  • Buprenorphine (Subutex)

  • Methadon

  • L-Methadon

  • Codein / Lean

  • Hydrocodone

  • Dihydrocodein

  • Kratom

  • Oxymorphone

  • Tilidin

  • Tramadol

  • Fentanyl (please never use this)


Results are only viewable after voting.
Also, why would it have twice the duration, unless dextromethadone somehow makes it metabolize that much faster? Literally half of the methadone is levomethadone, so out of 100mg methadone, that contains 50mg levomethadone. Why would that have half the duration of 50mg of levomethadone in isolation, unless dextromethadone literally halved its duration?
Why? You can go and ask the scientists who found out that it lasts twice as long, on why it does so even though it is an enantiopure agonist. I don't claim to know with certainty why it does last longer, I just know it does. Here is an interesting article: https://www.pharmawiki.ch/wiki/index.php?wiki=Levomethadon

It speaks of an even wider variance of 14h - 55h!!!

It's not an analogue of methadone, it is the active isomer.
No shit? It's funny how you automatically assume that I have no knowledge of chemistry even though you know literally nothing about me.

I am also not pulling this out of my arse.
Apparently you are if you say that LM can not last twice as long if you can find multiple sources all confirming that it can have twice its half life.

and also the most recent prescribing guidelines
Any maintenance patient will laugh about these guidelines written by armchair theorists. How often have I seen people rush into the clinic because the superduper new brand of bupe doesn't actually last as long as those "muh guidelines" said they would? How often have I seen people suffer from undisclosed side effects even though "muh guidelines" said "perfectly safe"? How often have I seen those guidelines and the doctors who mindlessly parrot them, say that a patient is not supposed to feel cravings as soon as he is "eingestellt" on his medication? It might sound like an ignorant and arrogant thing to say when an outsider hears it, but we patients really DO know better what works and how it works on a practical level than the title wearers, so to hell with those quasi-religious guidelines LOL.

There is nowhere any mention of levomethadone having any meaningful differences in dosage
Oh well, I guess that is why LM in liquid preparation only contains HALF the dose compared to methadone. Must be for the shits and giggles...

other than that it is twice as potent
Please go back to my initial post here and read exactly what opioid potency means and why it is so incredibly misleading. The fact you believe increased potency has no influence on dosage is proof of what I said about this term misleading people.


Addendum:
and here is the study that shows how LM has a longer half-life than the inactive/less potent (S)-enantiomer component found in standard racemic methadone, so there is your proof that enantiopurity affects a molecule, while in a racemic it does not necessarily do so despite the enantiomer in question being present in that racemic: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23093298/

Btw, this reverse phenomenon of the platonic concept of the sum being more than its parts is unique to optical isomerism to my knowledge. It is widely known in medicinal chemistry for instance that isolated alkaloids actually miss certain effects they can only develop in synergy with other alkaloids (the alkaloids of Kava-Kava being a good example). In optical isomers however, this rule is absent. There can be an enhancement or even a completely new and unexpected emergence of additional or enhanced effects when a racemic undergoes an enantioselective reaction.
 
Last edited:
It speaks of an even wider variance of 14h - 55h!!!
How is that a wider variance? 14-55 hours is a commonly reported half-life for methadone. It is exactly the same.

Apparently you are if you say that LM can not last twice as long if you can find multiple sources all confirming that it can have twice its half life.
To say that it "can have twice it's half life" is meaningless in itself, if the variance is so huge anyway. Methadone can have twice the half life of methadone in a different person. That doesn't mean that in general, it has twice the duration. But if you can find multiple sources, I have yet to see a single one.


Any maintenance patient will laugh about these guidelines written by armchair theorists.
I am not an armchair theorist, I have been on treatment myself and I know a ton of people that are on it right now. I have literally never heard of levomethadone having twice the duration at an equivalent dose.
In contrast, a lot of people will laugh at the "trust me bro, my friend told me so" anecdotes' evidential value.
However, I actually have both.

Oh well, I guess that is why LM in liquid preparation only contains HALF the dose compared to methadone...
Uhhh... Yeah. That's because it's double the potency. That is, in fact, 100% in line with what I said.

You take half the dosage, and you take it exactly as often. You don't twice as much methadone, twice as often, as levomethadone. If it really reliably had double the duration, and yet it was prescribed to people at the same dosage interval as racemic methadone, there would be BODIES. This is not the same as your buprenorphine injection running low on legs a day or two earlier. Yet it is dosed at exactly the same interval, just at half the dose.

You have profoundly misunderstood what I said. I may have been ambiguous, though I restated the point several times that there should have been little confusion: you dose levomethadone exactly as you would methadone, just at half the amount. No other differences. You don't need to tell me about potency and its relation to strength, euphoria and other effects. Buprenorphine is super potent and it's weak sauce. Fentanyl is super potent, and strong, but not euphoric or reinforcing. I get it. I never said I believed potency has no effect on dosage. In fact that is the ONLY thing potency has an effect on.

Addendum:
and here is the study that shows how LM has a longer half-life than the inactive/less potent (S)-enantiomer component found in standard racemic methadone, so there is your proof that enantiopurity affects a molecule, while in a racemic it does not necessarily do so despite the enantiomer in question being present in that racemic: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23093298/
Yeah. If only that were a comparison between levomethadone and racemic methadone, it would support your point. Yet it does not. The half-life of dextromethadone is not really relevant here.
 
Last edited:
What I can say with absolute certainty after all these years of trying all sorts of agonists, is that the potency of an opioid has zero relation to its euphoric potential INCLUDING its nociceptive potential.
This ! 💯

I can't count how many people have given me shit for "liking tramadol" because it's "weak".
It's like uhhh, yeah it may be weak in potency, but in the right dosage, it can be as strong as taking some hydrcodone & lasts much longer.

People mistake high potency = better effects. When in reality, all potency means is how much of a dose of something it takes to cause an effect & receptor occupation.

I had the same experience some times with street heroin. There'd be times I'd get some heroin & it really wasn't THAT euphoric at all compared to some of my other experiences with weaker opioids (like trams). It just sort of felt like any other sedating opioid. But then there'd be times when I'd get heroin & I'd be itching & smiling & just in complete bliss, with motivation & energy. Not sure why the experience varied so much, especially when I'd make sure to get it before it got stepped on with any other crap by dealers. Maybe some of the heroin was shitty & not as good at producing 6-MAM or something. No idea. Is it possible for street heroin to have like, differences that might make it more euphoric varying by batch & how it was cooked? (Excluding fent or other cuts altogether). Maybe it was just the varying potency that made the experiences differ from time to time (for me). who knows.
 
Nobody's voted for fentanyl at all. lol
Which is good & really says a lot about how crappy fentanyl is. And that's because it is.

Another good example of an extremely potent opioid that still sucks when it comes to actual effects.
Fent feels like if you took heroin, stripped away all the soul, the warmth & energy & replaced it with a cold clinical sedation that lasts maybe 15 mins.
When I tried fent, I felt like I was literally suppose to be tied down to a frickin medical table in a cold hospital room. It felt really gross.
Also felt like I was a gonna nod out & die every time I did a bump. I couldn't wait to use it all up & get rid of it cause I hated it that much.

Never wanted it again after that.

I still vividly remember one of the first times I snorted heroin (probably around the 5-10th time), I had 2 friends over (a guy & a girl). And I shared some with them & they had never done it before. And for the next few hours, we all just laid on my floor, cuddled together because it felt so good to touch & be touched by other people. We talked about life, our pasts, the future, everything. We laughed, we itched. We gently nodded, we itched. All in all, it was a really heartwarming experience that sort of brought all 3 of us closer together.

I can't imagine fentanyl bringing people close together in a similar manner. lol It just doesn't provide the same feeling or effects as other opioids. Even the nod on fentanyl felt weird/different than a regular nod from heroin or the lower potency opioids.
 
Last edited:
First of all: Can I ask you in which country you live?

How is that a wider variance? 14-55 hours is a commonly reported half-life for methadone. It is exactly the same.
You misunderstood me. I wasn't comparing that to methadone, but to my previous statement of LM being between 33h and 55h. I then discovered that it can be even lower than that. You are reading my words completely out of context.

To say that it "can have twice it's half life" is meaningless in itself, if the variance is so huge anyway.
All the studies you can read on both methadone and LM agree that these agonists have a strong interindividual variance in half life, so take the lower end with a huge grain of salt because that is basically never corroborated in real life. I have yet to see an LM patient who starts getting wd after 14h are over. This is why I mentioned studies only in a complementary way and pointed out that I rely on experiential and anecdotal evidence. You on the other hand are getting hung up, or shall I say bewitched, by "paper magic". It is a fact that people who take LM need to take less in dosage and less in frequency. Ofc that doesn't mean that everyone does (because your habitual mind knows that you have always taken it daily, so you continue to do just that, lest you want to deal with placebo cravings) but some like me do.

Methadone can have twice the half life of methadone
I'm confused.

That doesn't mean that in general, it has twice the duration.
Yeah I'm probably just hallucinating it. I'm just hallucinating that my wds start after the second day.

But if you can find multiple sources, I have yet to see a single one.
Ok, let me ask you this question, because perhaps I can then better understand what the fuck you are actually trying to convey here: what IS a drug's half life, HOW does it affect the drug's pharmacodynamics/-kinetics and WHY does an increased half life not lead to an increased duration? I'm asking you this because so far, all you have done is explain the what and not the why. It's easy to say "no it doesn't do that". No go ahead and tell me WHY it doesn't.

I am not an armchair theorist
You keep systematically misunderstanding me. I wasn't calling YOU an armchair theorist, but those who write those guidelines you tout so much about.

In contrast, a lot of people will laugh at the "trust me bro, my friend told me so" anecdotes' evidential value.
Ofc it looks stupid in contrast if you leave out the OTHER half of what I said. You are also grossly simplifying what I said about anecdotal evidence. When someone says they have experienced something, that might be coincidence, placebo, exaggeration, etc. But if those people add up and their reports are consistent, then I tend to not dismiss them. Especially not if my own personal experience corroborates it. But go ahead and distort again what I have said. I'm sure it makes you sleep sounder at night.

I have never HEARD of levomethadone having...
Oh now wait a minute! What was that again about "trust me bro, my friend told me so" you were saying earlier? Rules for thee but not for me. That seems to be your motto, isn't it?

Uhhh... Yeah. That's because it's double the potency. That is, in fact, 100% in line with what I said.
Potato, tomato. I was referring to the first half of that sentence. What you said was that LM has no meaningful difference in dosage. Now, dosage and potency being two sides of the same coin, I was trying to show you the contradictory logic of your statement by highlighting how the fact that half the dose is used, is direct evidence that there is a meaningful difference in dosage, otherwise why use half the dose?

You don't twice as much methadone, twice as often, as levomethadone
I'm not sure I understand you correctly. Are you saying that given a specific dose of LM, you wouldn't need to take double the amount of methadone to catch up to that? That is not correct. When I was hospitalized I was put on methadone because the hospital didn't have LM. I was on 30mg LM back then. While in hospital I had to take 60mg methadone in order to not get dope sick. I didn't need to say that. The doctors immediately knew from the very first day that twice the amount of methadone is necessary in patients who are dependent on LM. And yes, given the fact that you can take LM in less of a time frequency (once every ~48h) than methadone, you are by comparison taking methadone twice as often due to its shorter duration.

Look buddy, don't believe what I say. Just go ahead and take LM for a while and then abruptly stop. You WILL see that you can wait twice as long until wd kicks in.

If it really reliably had double the duration, and yet it was prescribed to people at the same dosage interval as racemic methadone, there would be BODIES.
NO! A longer half-life does not automatically mean that a potentially fatal amount accumulates when the medication is taken daily BECAUSE ELIMINATION CONTINUES BETWEEN EVERY DOSE!
The fact you do not know this proves that you have no idea what the effin fuck you are talking about!


Here, let me demonstrate it to you with a bit of math.

Suppose, purely for illustration:

Methadone: 100 mg once daily
Levomethadone: 50 mg once daily
Avrg. methadone half-life = 24 hours
Avrg. levomethadone half-life = 48 hours
Assume complete absorption and a simple one-compartment model.


Now, for a drug with a 24-hour half-life, approximately half of the previous day's amount remains when the next dose is taken:

DayMethadone remaining before new doseAfter adding 100 mg
10 mg100 mg
250 mg150 mg
375 mg175 mg
487.5 mg187.5 mg
593.8 mg193.8 mg
696.9 mg196.9 mg
798.4 mg198.4 mg

It approaches a steady-state of approximately 200 mg of drug-equivalent amount in the body immediately after each dose.


Now let's consider LM with a 48-hour half-life. After 24 hours, 70.7% remains.
If we gave 50 mg every 24 hours:

DayAmount remaining before new doseAfter adding 50 mg
1050
235.485.4
360.4110.4
478.1128.1
590.6140.6
699.4149.4
7105.6155.6

It eventually approaches approximately 170.7 mg immediately after each dose.

So why doesn't it keep accumulating and cause "bodies" as you so poetically said?
Because elimination continues between every dose.
At steady-state, the amount eliminated over one dosing interval becomes equal to the amount administered. The body therefore reaches an equilibrium rather than accumulating indefinitely.

It is like this:

Longer half-life → more accumulation → longer time to reach steady state.


And NOT this:

Longer half-life → concentration keeps increasing forever.


But I guess you will still go ahead and keep telling me how wrong I am, using your confusing, non-sequitur, strawman fallacy type of rhetoric. Since I have better things to do with my time, I'll pass if that is what you wish to do.
 
Yeah. If only that were a comparison between levomethadone and racemic methadone, it would support your point. Yet it does not. The half-life of dextromethadone is not really relevant here.
Dextromethadone? What have you been smoking? Make a screenshot and show me where it mentions dextromethadone. You're either high af or you are a lying piece of shit. I have read the full german study and it doesn't even mention the word dextromethadone. Here is the full piece: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00482-012-1229-2
Use a free access extractor and show me where they mention d-methadone you liar.
 
Top