• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Vivitrol shot. Hate it. Trying to get high on it.

tweakette

Bluelighter
So I got the vivitrol shot (family made me) but had the nurse only inject half into me because my dad died and I have to go get his stuff and ashes in less than 2 weeks and I need to be able to drink AT LEAST. Or I’m gonna have a fucking breakdown.

I had relapsed before I got it and I used naltrexone pills to rapid detox myself with it along with Xanax, ropinirole, flexeril, and clonodine. Done it a few times. (Regardless what people on here will tell you) You sleep for 24 hours and wake up completely detoxed. Or if you have huge habit you do it over 3 days and wake up detoxed.

Anyways, been shooting huge amounts of heroin to bypass it. My legs and muscles ache, I get chills, I’m weak. Then I shoot the heroin and I don’t get any high or head change but my pupils constrict and my muscles and chills go away. I usually end up going to the gym and just working it. It kills my sex drive too... pretty much no pleasure from anything. I’m all over the place. I can’t sleep and I feel like I’m losing my mind. I feel in a dream. This isn’t my first experience with vivitrol but my first experience getting half the shot and also trying to get high on it. But I’m wondering others experiences if any with it. I’m hoping I can start to get a head change at 14 days. Just wanna know what others have to say.
Thanks.

You really can't. Small amount are probably getting through it.

I have no clue why this kind of shit is even treatment. What if you got in a car accident or had a heart attack and needed pain relief? You would get none.

Be careful. Fent has a very high affinity and can break through it. Shooting the wrong dope can cause you to OD. I could imagine the shots you are doing since when would take subutex back in the day would do a ton of dope on top if we got some. You feel just the tiniest, and probably the cut anyway. Even the day after wouldn't feel much. But consider myself lucky considering the amount I would do over it. 3-5x normal dose.

I have to say...let it wear off :) And then take it easy on the H. In the meantime, don't use. Just a waste of money and pretty dangerous I would imagine. Oh, and don't let anyone give you that stuff again. Tell them to fuck off.

If you are really that bad off and cannot stay clean, you may want to consider maintenance for a bit. But trust me, putting vivatrol in you is the best way to feel like shit.

isn't vivitrol the opposite of getting high?

People often lie about their use (because loved ones and parents breathing over their shoulder as it's being forcefully administered in many cases) only to experience precipitated withdrawal. The doctor knows EXACTLY what's up. One cannot say "oh I have the flu." Feels like the world is exploding with PWD. Good games Miss Opiatetta. Touche.

isn't vivitrol the opposite of getting high?

People often lie about their use (because loved ones and parents breathing over their shoulder as it's being forcefully administered in many cases) only to experience precipitated withdrawal. The doctor knows EXACTLY what's up. One cannot say "oh I have the flu." Feels like the world is exploding with PWD. Good games Miss Opiatetta. Touche.
Yes, it is. And I got it because my fam bam wanted me to. I kind of did it for myself as well. I don’t know anymore. I’m a fucking mess. I just binged a ton of food and threw it all up. I’m a straight mess. Throwing up after just downing all that food is kind of a high in itself.

From the FDA:

5.6 When Reversal of VIVITROL Blockade Is Required for Pain Management

In an emergency situation in patients receiving VIVITROL, suggestions for pain management include regional analgesia or use of non-opioid analgesics. If opioid therapy is required as part of anesthesia or analgesia, patients should be continuously monitored in an anesthesia care setting by persons not involved in the conduct of the surgical or diagnostic procedure. The opioid therapy must be provided by individuals specifically trained in the use of anesthetic drugs and the management of the respiratory effects of potent opioids, specifically the establishment and maintenance of a patent airway and assisted ventilation.
Irrespective of the drug chosen to reverse VIVITROL blockade, the patient should be monitored closely by appropriately trained personnel in a setting equipped and staffed for cardiopulmonary resuscitation.

Label (PDF) - FDA

In other words, fentanyl or greater potency opioids are used in extremely controlled, administered and monitored by professionals in emergency situations where opioid therapy is required.

With that said, Vivitrol has the potential to possibly be one of the best treatment options available for those not wanting to use buprenorphine or methadone. Of course, this is assuming the person wants to quit. In the case of the OP, it’s never a good idea to commit to something like this because of what others want, family, parents, or otherwise.

@tweakette Curious, do you find the vivatrol to block any euphoria from alcohol? Wasn't drinking when was taking subutex. Took a decent amount of suboxone and drank on top, but wasn't really getting euphoria from alcohol anyway.

I have read people that have taken out the implants. After kicking the heroin you already feel shitty enough. Couldn't imagine having narcan in you too. Totally a fan of abstinence based treatment if possible. But should be up to the addict. Not forced via a shot or implant. At the same time, I know if the shot was offered to me after various detoxes, would of accepted.

I know they give naltrexone to alcoholics, so I guess it blocks that too? Or perhaps its when going through alcohol withdrawal your body is releasing dopamine in screwed up ways, so maybe to block that?

@TheInvisibleStoner

They believe endogenous opioids may be involved in the reinforcing effects of alcohol (cravings, etc.) and, since naltrexone prevents our own endogenous opioids from binding, supposedly it prevents cravings and helps people reduce their overall alcohol consumption throughout the week.

Yes, it is. And I got it because my fam bam wanted me to. I kind of did it for myself as well. I don’t know anymore. I’m a fucking mess. I just binged a ton of food and threw it all up. I’m a straight mess. Throwing up after just downing all that food is kind of a high in itself.

Give it time my friend! Objectively there's a period of ahedonia for most people (inability to feel joy literally). It passes and normalcy returns. The adjustment to daily life without a buzz is very hard. Probably something everyone struggles with who has ever been dependent on opiates. No way around that part.. I understand your feelings.

If you must get high just proceed with intense caution. Without euphoria to gauge the high it's basically shooting in the dark. No matter how wicked you might be feeling your family cares about you since they obviously want you to be independent and off substances. They usually have the right intentions but forcing a loved on on vivitrol literally can make someone suffer in front of your eyes. Morally I don't know if I find it to be in the "right." But that's because I personally know what a hard transition the topic is. My friend faced the same dilemma and is okay now! So it's most important that you survive the next few months and see where things go.

Your dad just passed and I'm super sorry. It's going to be a big hit (as it would be for anyone). Not to remind you of it but drugs aside it's a more-than-normal really difficult time period. It's okay to feel horrible over real life things like that as anyone would. Grief can send one into dark places and self-harm indirectly or directly isn't what anyone wants for you. I've found with grief the only way I could break free was to let it hit me full force. Substances can dull that process and prolong and confuse things in a way. Be good to yourself :) Anyone that you can talk to? Not necessarily a therapist but close friend or family member. Those characters are a godsend and everyone needs someone like that at some point in their life to rely on. My folks are still around so I've yet to face it but as they get much older I'm starting to worry more and more. That's why I've been trying to go out of my way to help people without anything in return. Because god damn I've needed that in corona times 2020. What shit show.

Last edited: