• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Vivitrol and Suboxone use

trismegistus

Greenlighter
I'll start off by saying that I've already been given the Vivitrol shot, and it works like a charm for cravings, though it definitely caused some precipitated withdrawal even though it had been 7 days since I took suboxone while detoxing, the period should probably be somewhere around 14 days after suboxone before starting naltrexone due to a 36 hour half life compared to the normal 6-8 hour half life of most opiates.

Awhile back I tried going on Vivitrol, but the prescribing doctor (who was also my suboxone doctor) didn't know what he was doing, and told me to just take suboxone to fight off cravings until the shot came in. He ended up calling in 3 50mg naltrexone pills (could have done that from the get go and I would have avoided what happened) and told me to take half of one to start. Of course, knowing the mechanisms of naltrexone and opiates I was very skeptical of this being a safe idea and only took 12.5mg of naltrexone to test the waters, which launched me right into precipitated withdrawal. However I was able to overcome the naltrexone by injecting a total of 8mg of suboxone before the withdrawal subsided.

Out of curiosity, plus the fact that it was free, I got to do a pretty heavy shot of heroin and I felt it coming over my body, yet my head remained crystal clear, it was like the high was just right on the edge of my brain but I couldn't get to it, sort of hard to explain. But since bupe is able to outcompete naltrexone at the receptor I was curious what would happen if one were to inject some. I'm thinking that either A)nothing at all would happen, or the horrific possibility that B) you would get a nice little buzz from the bupe, but then since there is somewhere around 300mg of naltrexone still just sitting in the ass cheek, it would re-enter the brain as the bupe wore off and cause precipitated withdrawal.

I can't even get any bupe so it's not something I intend to try out, but I was just wondering if anybody here has been on Vivitrol and done this or knows what would happen.

I figured I would update this for the good of drug science, and anyone else who searches "can you get high on suboxone/subutex/buprenorphine while on naltrexone/vivitrol". The answer is that, yes indeed, you can feel the effects of, at least, IV buprenorphine use. Of course it's not a great full blown opiate high, just that little opiate buzz, but it can be done. Likewise, when the buprenorphine begins to leave the receptors, the naltrexone does not seep back in and cause any significant degree of withdrawal. It causes some minor little symptoms, very very tolerable, and I did the bupe two days in a row, the first day 3mg in total, and 1mg the 2nd day, in the form of subutex (not that it matters which form you use)

Hey man, did you have an extended amount of clean time while on the vivitrol? I'm asking bc I just posted a thread wondering if Vivitrol will help decrease post acute w/d symptoms. I appreciate your input

I don't see how naltrexone could possibly help paws

Neither do I. I don't even see how Naltrexone could help cravings other than making the idea of using opiates useless (though the ammount of naltrexone implant horror stories I've heard is tragically high..)

To be honest, the vivitrol helped big time with cravings, but now it's basically fucked my head all up and I've been getting crazy fuckin mood swings that go as extreme as violent to happy in a 5 minute period. The only way naltrexone would help with PAWS is if you did low dose naltrexone like before bed, just enough to block off the opiate receptors for a short period to make the brain overcompensate on endorphin production, at least that's the theory. I've felt like shit ever since I started Vivitrol though, and then it fucked me mentally and yeah, fuck. It does really eliminate opiate cravings though. At day 20 I did heroin and got high, next day I had money and the thought of more heroin still didn't enter my mind, I'd gotten it mostly for free the day before. I'd go with the pills first though if I were you.

edit: I sorta turned into an alcoholic the last week though, drinking everyday and I never even liked drinking before, kind of ironic that a medicine originally designed for alcoholism would do that ay? lol

Hey all, just now decided to register so I could maybe share some of my experience with the vivitrol injection and buprenorphine (suboxone). I got the shot a little over three weeks ago and it definitely has helped with the cravings, at least up until this point. Because I have to give UA's on a weekly basis for probation I decided to get my hands on a couple 8mg suboxone films. I know the topic of IV bupe while on naltrexone as a way to get high is debatable...but it seems hard to deny the differences in binding affinity between bupe and naltrexone (buprenorphine is apparently significantly "stronger" and will outcompete the naltrexone at the mu receptor). So with that I prepared about 1/4 of the film for IV--unfortunately without the use of a micron filter.

Almost immediately I began to feel a pressure on the sides of my head, and my stomach felt like it was in knots (wasn't that uncomfortable surprisingly). Also I began to feel an increase in pulse and body temp (also increase), and noticed . These symptoms weren't by any means severe, although roughly five minutes after injecting I had to run to the bathroom to throw up. I forgot to add that I've been abstinent from heroin, all opiates for that matter, for 22 days. This sounds terrible, I know, but within 10 mins after the puking I felt that nice toasty embrace that only an opiate can provide. My legs felt sort of weak as I walked back to bed, my head was cleared and overall I felt relieved.

So that was my experience with shooting suboxone. Hopefully this might help someone...I've researched quite a bit on naltrexone and the depot injection, even the pellets...so feel free to ask me any questions :]

One more thing: I absolutely noticed immediately after my first injection of vivitrol that cravings weren't nearly as intense as normal. Not too sure why, aside from what was posted just above this. It could be possible that the naltrexone helps force your body to produce more endorphins to compensate for the lack of stimulation by external opiates. idk, now I'm done :p

I figured I would update this for the good of drug science, and anyone else who searches "can you get high on suboxone/subutex/buprenorphine while on naltrexone/vivitrol". The answer is that, yes indeed, you can feel the effects of, at least, IV buprenorphine use. Of course it's not a great full blown opiate high, just that little opiate buzz, but it can be done. Likewise, when the buprenorphine begins to leave the receptors, the naltrexone does not seep back in and cause any significant degree of withdrawal. It causes some minor little symptoms, very very tolerable, and I did the bupe two days in a row, the first day 3mg in total, and 1mg the 2nd day, in the form of subutex (not that it matters which form you use)

Do you have to IV the bupe in order to over power the vivatrol or can you just oraly take a strip?

Do you have to IV the bupe in order to over power the vivatrol or can you just oraly take a strip?

I wouldn't think so. Just take the equivalent dose sublingually.

Personally though I wouldn't try getting high while on vivitrol, and certainly wouldn't do so with bupe if I was set on doing it. The only good thing about using bupe in this instance is that it's safer to use in terms of an overdose.

I'm gonna call bs on people saying that narcan helps with cravings. Also, I find it curious that they are posting here in complete sentances in fairly well organized paragraphs of complete thoughts. Having watched people DT from opiates, with and without narcan, you would not be stoked about anything or writing long a*% solioquies to a wonder drug on an obscure drug forum.

I'm gonna call bs on people saying that narcan helps with cravings. Also, I find it curious that they are posting here in complete sentances in fairly well organized paragraphs of complete thoughts. Having watched people DT from opiates, with and without narcan, you would not be stoked about anything or writing long a*% solioquies to a wonder drug on an obscure drug forum.
I agree, I've been on Vivitrol for five months and it does nothing to help with cravings. The only way it truly helps is when I think about going to score I think "Oh yeah.....I can't get high".

But that's me personally though.

Last edited:
Hi all - my first post! I feel like such a newbie :) Hello to all and to all a nice buzz. My wife takes 10 mcg patches, and when she's done I smoke them, I use a razor to scrape it off then put some in my bong. I also take gabapentin, usually about 1000 mg at a time, I dissolve it in a little something to drink then shoot it done, followed quickly by something that tastes a little more pleasant, it's the same for the butrans in the bong, I have to have something to take about the taste with that too. I usually take about a quarter of the patch, maybe a little less, and I find the combination of the two is a real nice mellow trip, I nod pretty hard sometimes, actually just was and wanted to share :) It usually lasts a couple of hours or more, and as I said it's a very pleasant journey, I guess the weed helps too, is there anything it can't do :) there I did it, feels so good to be bad :)

I'm curious, I heard that taking subs while your on vivitrol helps take away the Vivitrol due to it being stronger . anyone know if this is true so I can speed up my Vivitrol. I'm On day 28 today and tried getting High today and my eyes got pinned and I felt very sedated but not in a good way. It was like I was high but no euphoria just this heavy feeling and it made me so tired. I made myself throw up so I could get thru the rest of my work day. Any answers would be approciated ?

If you've already had the Vivitrol treatment there isn't much you can do to speed it up getting out of your system. Other than eating properly, getting exercise, etc, there just isn't much you can do to speed its metabolism up.

Taking buprenorphine or naloxone won't speed up Vivitrol getting out of your system in any significant way.

why wldnt u do so w bupe if it’s the only thing thatll get the high everyone wants throughout the entire month the vivitrol is in effect?

Tramadol should also work to catch a buzz on Viv.

When I was okay using opioids I absolutely refused to try antagonist therapy. From what I see on here, it seems like a very large proportion of folk who get on Viv do it to appease others, and then struggle to try and get high on it.

thanks for the quick response. but im so confused as it’s an opi it def wldnt work. at least the suboxone has qualities that make it at least the likeliest of all to work.