View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lysergamides Vial of liquid LSD mystery

Heckles

Greenlighter
Hey all. Picked up a vial a few months back and just stuck it away in a dark dry place since then. I pulled it out and there is almost no liquid left 😵 I understand the crystal was probably diluted with ever clear before being put into vials. Should I assume that the vial must not have been airtight and the alcohol evaporated? Am I now just screwed or would the LSD still be clinging to the inside of the vial? There are some drops of dark colored liquid clinging to the dropper still. Can I just add some everclear back into the vial?

I guess in simpler language - if a vial of lsd evaporates does the chemical go with the alcohol or does it get left behind?

Instead of water I would add flavorless vodka, such as Smirnoff Red Label of 37.5% vol, a standard in making liquid acid.

The high alcohol percentage acts as a preservative so that no mould or whatever feeds on the LSD.

Similar thing happened to me when I left a vial of 1P-LSD in the fridge for over a year. It didnt go completely dry but seemed to lose a significant volume and the acid precipitated to a gooey sludge. For what is worth, just this monday I added a couple of drops of 70% ethanol, stirred, and took a drop. It was slightly more potent than the original solution.

LSD shouldnt really evaporate with the alcohol. It is left behind as cristal, probably spread through the surface of the vial it was in.

Do you have roommates though?

On a more serious note assuming that isn't your problem be extremely careful when reconstituting your vial or you may wind up with a solution that varies drastically in potency. If memory serves those little "sweet breath" vials take about 2.7mL for 100 drops, but it's been a long time and that might even vary per brand. If it is a different kind of vial the number may be completely different. If you don't have a vial exactly like it then determining the "drop factor," as it is called, experimentally, isn't going to be possible either. You'll have to proceed with great caution. You'll be able to measure out a dose with a syringe or something, sure, but as far as drops go, if the best you have is trial and error, that's a bit of a problem (I've gotten way more LSD than I bargained for just "washing" vials that seemed to be finished, let alone ones where the solution evaporated.)

For future reference LSD tartrate dissolves just fine in water and water solution is more stable than EtOH (vodka will be somewhere in between.) For this reason dissolving in EtOH is actually preferable for laying blotter whereas dissolving in water or a lower % solution of alcohol is preferable for laying vials (the concern about mold is probably overblown if you aren't keeping them a long time and are doing so in a sanitary place. Refrigeration might not be strictly necessary in a moderate climate, either. Keeping out of light is more important.)

Last edited:
Depends how you wanna use that vial. I too suggest ethanol (at least a little) to help keep away any mold. You simply didn’t have an airtight cap if it evaporated, which isn’t ideal water or ethanol.

I like ethanol solutions too because they evaporate quicker when you drop them on something. Obviously not blotter, but gummies, mints or something. Not so easy with a water solution.

It’s amazing how prevalent those sweet breath bottles were though, I feel like almost all liquid came like that in a lot of areas. Once in awhile I saw tiny glass vials too, but still had that mint taste.

-GC

Did any of the liquid spill out? Or was the cap on the vial super tight?

If it evaporated assume all of the LSD or whatever research chemical it is, is still all in the vial but not just in liquid form.

the standard in dissolving LSD is a ethanol mix with distilled water 80% ethanol 20% water is usually the best.

Thanks everyone. When you suggest a mix of distilled water and ethanol what precisely do you mean? Like - as suggested above - isn’t unflavored vodka just ethanol and water? So should I be cutting 40 proof vodka by 1/5 with distilled water to get the ideal results? How important is it? My first thought was just to use some of the Tito’s in the cupboard straight.

Thanks everyone. When you suggest a mix of distilled water and ethanol what precisely do you mean? Like - as suggested above - isn’t unflavored vodka just ethanol and water? So should I be cutting 40 proof vodka by 1/5 with distilled water to get the ideal results? How important is it? My first thought was just to use some of the Tito’s in the cupboard straight.
So 40-proof vodka would only be 20% alcohol. I think you meant 80-proof vodka which is in fact 40% alcohol. What you need is something that is 160 proof or higher. You're gonna need something like Everclear or White Lightning. Everclear is 190 proof, that's 95% alcohol. Then you can dilute this to 80% with distilled water (must be distilled; you can find it at grocery stores next to the bottled spring water). Do this properly; don't wing it haphazard with the Tito's. The improved evaporation speed of alcohol is something you will want if you're laying blotter. And minimize the amount of light you use when doing these things, especially avoiding sun light and UV light which will convert LSD into the mostly inactive lumi-LSD, which you do not want.