• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Very long nitrous trip. Literally hours.

Vlan

Greenlighter
First, let me say I am not a rookie. I am not a teenage boy who is going out to raves(or whatever they are called now). I've got 15 years in with this sort of thing and I've tried hundreds of different things. This isn't even close to my first experience with nitrous.

I recently purchased more nitrous. I do bulk orders because the price per bulb is cheaper. I have tried a half dozen or so different brands. I ordered 600 ultra-pure this time. I was looking for a cleaner nitrous and I think this is that. It is the white ones that say ultra pure on them. I did a consider amount on both of these occasions. About 50 on one and 100+ on the next. After I stopped, it continued for hours. I literally sat here with my eyes closed for about an hour the first time. I felt great, don't get me wrong - but I have never had this happen with nitrous before. The second time I drank about 6 beers and did the 100-150 over the course of 2-3 hours. I could go count what remains and be more accurate on the exact amount, but it was over 100 as there were 2 empty boxes. After I finished, I went and laid down. I laid there tripping for about 5 hours slipping in and out of sleep. I felt like I was slowly huffing 1 nitrous at a time.

Both occurred at home, one with beer and one without. Consecutive days. No other drugs at all involved.

I considered that maybe it was just built up in my brain/blood, but that doesn't make sense. I have never had nitrous last more than 10 minutes or so with after effects. This certainly isn't the first time I have done this many in a sitting. The only difference was the brand. Same 2 whip cream canisters.

Anyone have any ideas?

I've never had that happen before. I haven't taken nitrous this year aside from those two episodes.

I know about oxygen deprivation being a factor, but I understood that was more of an issue with wearing masks and such. I wasn't breathing in and out in a balloon. I came down between every couple nitrous canisters for a couple minutes and I was conversing with my wife/using the computer while taking it. I can't imagine I was holding my breath any longer than I used to when I was a kid in the pool.

That was my nitrous binge for now, I will put it aside and keep that in mind next time I feel the urge to pick it up again.

Thank you for the links.

I've got two questions:

I've never done this with balloons but have done it with whip cream cannisters.

1) Is it a BAD idea to do a balloon....then take a few deep breaths afterwards, and then vaporize or smoke some weed while still under the effects of the nitrous??

I'd assume it might not be GREAT because you are first not getting as much oxygen while breathing the nitrous, then not as much while inhaling the weed, but if you take enough deep breaths between the nitrous and weed, I'd assume it would be relatively ok right?

Like, I'm sure you'd kill more brain cells, but you are doing that anyways.

LIkewise, is it really bad to vape or smoke some weed, then take a couple breaths and chase it with a balloon?

2) Also, is it bad to hold you breath for a couple seconds after you take a balloon?

I find that it makes the high more intense, but that's probably cause of hypoxia so I'm assuming it's bad...

Last edited:
If Nitrous is involved then it's probably bad for you. I doubt if mixing weed hits with it would make it much worse but obviously any carbon monoxide source is going to make the hypoxia worse. I'm not a nitrous huffer myself so I can't tell you how best to do it. My only advise, after reading what nitrous does to your body, is not to do it at all. Just not worth the risk of seriously harming yourself with longterm consequences, like with Mr. Gascid. Did you even read that Erowid entry? You can seriously mess up your nervous system or your spine or probably both.

If nitrous was that bad - one would expect there would be thousands of people crippled just based upon how many sellers there are on eBay selling 600+ lots of nitrous bulbs. I don't think there is anyone who is using that much nitrous that can't buy it bulk as a cake maker or something of that nature. Aside from one or two reports that seem to be habitual users, I've seen little to indicate a mass crippling of nitrous users. Nitrous is used for hours on end mixed with oxygen at dentist offices and is considered very safe by the medical profession. If sporadic nitrous use caused this sort of things, one assumes there would be a large amount of evidence given that nitrous has been pretty popular from a recreational standpoint off and on since the 1700s, as well as continual use in the dental field.

Interestingly, I had been playing with some programs and quizzes that tested cognitive functions last week. I can give them another whirl and see if my scores changed any. I certainly don't feel any different.

If Nitrous is involved then it's probably bad for you. I doubt if mixing weed hits with it would make it much worse but obviously any carbon monoxide source is going to make the hypoxia worse. I'm not a nitrous huffer myself so I can't tell you how best to do it. My only advise, after reading what nitrous does to your body, is not to do it at all. Just not worth the risk of seriously harming yourself with longterm consequences, like with Mr. Gascid. Did you even read that Erowid entry? You can seriously mess up your nervous system or your spine or probably both.

Dude, that's clearly only if you do the MASSIVE amounts he did.

I barely ever even do it at all, just like every few months or so.

Anything can be taken too far.

I mean, have you ever done nitrous before?

Cause it sounds like you haven't.

Yeah...if you do hundreds of chargers a day, or even a week, or even a month for long enough you can fuck yourself up, but 20 chargers on the occassional weekend isn't going to do that.

That guy in that entry was taking a SHIT LOAD...I think he said like every single day, so much that he was financially hurting.

I can tell you, if you do THAT much of almost any drug other than maybe weed you will have health problems.

I personally do not think that doing nitrous once or twice a month is going to be an issue.

Also, it isn't "what nitrous does to your body" it's the resulting hypoxia.

If it were mixed with oxygen it would be 100% safe like at the dentists office but unfortunately the only way to do that for normal people is to take a lot of breaths between balloons.

You can actually buy oxygen concentrators on Craigslist for like *no price discussion* sometimes. You could just inhale both at the same time. I have an oxygen tank or two that I use in brewing to oxygenate the wort so the yeast are happy. It never occurred to me to use it during nitrous though.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can actually buy oxygen concentrators on Craigslist for like *no price discussion* sometimes. You could just inhale both at the same time. I have an oxygen tank or two that I use in brewing to oxygenate the wort so the yeast are happy. It never occurred to me to use it during nitrous though.

Interesting.

Are they oxygen chargers that would fit in in a nitrous charger in the same way so that you could put them in a balloon with the nitrous?

If not, how would you use it?

Last edited by a moderator:
If Nitrous is involved then it's probably bad for you.

Nitrous is one of the safest drugs on earth. Oxygen deprivation isn't good for you, but if you're using the individual bulbs that's gonna be really hard to achieve. And either way, that's on you. If you burn down your house with a joint, it's not marijuana's fault. It's yours.

Nitrous is one of the safest drugs on earth. Oxygen deprivation isn't good for you, but if you're using the individual bulbs that's gonna be really hard to achieve. And either way, that's on you. If you burn down your house with a joint, it's not marijuana's fault. It's yours.
Well okay then, I suppose it would take a lot to mess you up. However, if you happen to have a natural B12 deficiency then you can quickly develop serious problems from even a small amount of nitrous use. If you're well nourished you would probably be okay I suppose. I have used it, but only a couple times. I just didn't like it that much.

However, if you happen to have a natural B12 deficiency then you can quickly develop serious problems from even a small amount of nitrous use.

Care to back that statement up? What kind of serious problems?

I'm familiar with heavy use depleting B12, I was wondering if you could support your claim that you can develop serious issues quickly from light use. I wonder how many canisters are equivalent to an hour + of continuous nitrous/oxygen? That sounds like a lot to me, but maybe I use less than the average user.

I don't use nitrous and I'm not saying it isn't relatively safe, but demyelination does not sound like a hypoxia symptom, but rather something that the nitrous itself was doing to the myelin sheath...

I've done thousands of the things and don't recall anything like this ever happening. I've had after effects last after 30mins-1hr but very slight. Have you done any other dissociatives lately?

I've never had that happen before. I haven't taken nitrous this year aside from those two episodes.

I know about oxygen deprivation being a factor, but I understood that was more of an issue with wearing masks and such. I wasn't breathing in and out in a balloon. I came down between every couple nitrous canisters for a couple minutes and I was conversing with my wife/using the computer while taking it. I can't imagine I was holding my breath any longer than I used to when I was a kid in the pool.

That was my nitrous binge for now, I will put it aside and keep that in mind next time I feel the urge to pick it up again.

Thank you for the links.

Did you read that article? I think you might have missed the point about oxygen deprivation – with nitrous it is much more dangerous than just holding your breath and the damage is severe and cumulative. This is because it overrides the body’s natural detection mechanism for low oxygen.

Interesting.

Are they oxygen chargers that would fit in in a nitrous charger in the same way so that you could put them in a balloon with the nitrous?

If not, how would you use it?

Yea, you could probably just run the line (fish tank airline hose sized) beside whatever you are using to fill the balloon.

Did you read that article? I think you might have missed the point about oxygen deprivation – with nitrous it is much more dangerous than just holding your breath and the damage is severe and cumulative. This is because it overrides the body’s natural detection mechanism for low oxygen.

Yes, I read the article. Holding your breath - whether it is a breath of nitrous or regular air is still holding your breath. I might of held my breath for a minute or two with the nitrous in before breathing normal air. I didn't miss the point, and I understand that your body doesn't realize there is no oxygen in what you have just inhaled and more or less just assumes you breathed in and everything is hunky dory.

Does anyone know if hypoxia would cause you to have odd dreams that wake you up afterwards?