• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

veganism and pets?

vegan said:
i'm against having pets
even though i'd love to have cats, i refuse to because it's against my ideas
you can't own another sentient being as your property, forbid it to go out of your house, prevent it from seeing others of its species...

The problem with your ideas is that a large portion of the world is developed and overrun by humans. So most wild animals are concentrated in the remaining woods that are undeveloped. I think that most breeds of house cats would have problems surviving in the wild in most countries. They're likely to get killed by a predator, run over on a highway, or die of lukemia.
So it becomes an issue of whether or not we care about this species enough to take care of them, and fortunately for cats, we do. I dont think cats have it that bad.. if they did they could always escape from their masters.

I wanna get a kitty. But how do they cope at home alone when I'm out or working? What about 2 week holidays? (although i could probably find a temporary home)

^^
They're low maintenence, they'll be fine when you're at work. You'll have to have someone feed the cats and clean the liter box if you went away for 2 weeks.
Dogs are better, even though they're harder to take care of. I miss my dog :(.

:)

agree with Sonic.
If I may give an advice: i would never actually purchase a cat. I think you d better wait untill you accidently meat someone who has young cats to offer for free. well, you probably thought of that yourself too, iguess. It wil make things ezier for you , i believe. the day someone offers you a real cute kitty you wont be able to refuse....and then I d advise you to forget bout those strict rules and give the cat it's proper food.
or it could be you find a cat on the street somewhere, anythin is possible.
what i m tryin to say is that you have to make an intuitive decission on this matter.

if i knew someone who was not feeding their cat meat, i'd report them to the humane society and have the animal taken away from them. it's cruel and STUPID to force your beliefs on a helpless animal. i have to wonder what kind of person can be so against animal products of any kind, yet see no moral conflict with keeping an animal captive for the human's benefit.

People that would subject their animals to a vegan diet are the same as the people who force their pets to ingest drugs. Neither should be permitted to have pets, and should probably not have children either.

the many heated replies, polarized opinions, blanket statements, etc here really disappoint me in the quality of this thread - although the kosher kitty food really redeems much of that. this is about pets. pets are animals that are supposed to be fun, not the center of moral and quasi-political debate. albeit the focus is also on veganism and how it pertains to raising a cat, but i never would have thought it would be such a point of controversy.
animals can be raised on a great number of different diets as long as their nutritional needs are met. cats are domesticated animals, the talk of setting them free or killing them all at this point in time is irresponsible, imho.
that said, i believe very strongly that you know your own beliefs best, and can meet them with a solution far better than anyone else by researching the topic very thoroughly. some advantages to this include not biasing your research with others impressions of your beliefs or the situation, and understanding the solution more thoroughly, which typically allows for better implementation of the solution, should you choose to do something proactive. by my understanding of liquidphil1s question, i would think locally produced food - think a farmers market with meat or fish - with other foods might work. but i have not looked into feeding cats a vegan diet, or know what exactly liquidphil1 would be most comfortable with.
if you have the interest to raise your animals with your beliefs in mind and care to follow through, i think thats great. however, if you want these animals to be political statements or anything along those lines, i can not imagine sharing your sentiments.

Cos said:
i dont fully agree with u, u can force a cat to eat strictly vegetarian shit too, does that make cats vegetarians? does it make em omnivores? u have no argument? but hey ur a moderator!!;)

peace

first... oh lord 8(
second... what?

agree with Sonic.
If I may give an advice: i would never actually purchase a cat. I think you d better wait untill you accidently meat someone who has young cats to offer for free. well, you probably thought of that yourself too, iguess. It wil make things ezier for you , i believe. the day someone offers you a real cute kitty you wont be able to refuse....and then I d advise you to forget bout those strict rules and give the cat it's proper food.
or it could be you find a cat on the street somewhere, anythin is possible.
what i m tryin to say is that you have to make an intuitive decission on this matter.
I agree. I am going to be adopting a cat from a shelter or a animal hospital. I have no desire to get a "new" cat i think there are quite enough animals in unstable living conditions currently.

synthetic sunrise
if i knew someone who was not feeding their cat meat, i'd report them to the humane society and have the animal taken away from them. it's cruel and STUPID to force your beliefs on a helpless animal. i have to wonder what kind of person can be so against animal products of any kind, yet see no moral conflict with keeping an animal captive for the human's benefit.
I am unsure of whom you are speaking to, but i advise you to check the thread again and read all the posts that came before this one. weve covered this, or at least things that are similar to this

the many heated replies, polarized opinions, blanket statements, etc here really disappoint me in the quality of this thread - although the kosher kitty food really redeems much of that. this is about pets. pets are animals that are supposed to be fun, not the center of moral and quasi-political debate. albeit the focus is also on veganism and how it pertains to raising a cat, but i never would have thought it would be such a point of controversy.
animals can be raised on a great number of different diets as long as their nutritional needs are met. cats are domesticated animals, the talk of setting them free or killing them all at this point in time is irresponsible, imho.
that said, i believe very strongly that you know your own beliefs best, and can meet them with a solution far better than anyone else by researching the topic very thoroughly. some advantages to this include not biasing your research with others impressions of your beliefs or the situation, and understanding the solution more thoroughly, which typically allows for better implementation of the solution, should you choose to do something proactive. by my understanding of liquidphil1s question, i would think locally produced food - think a farmers market with meat or fish - with other foods might work. but i have not looked into feeding cats a vegan diet, or know what exactly liquidphil1 would be most comfortable with.
if you have the interest to raise your animals with your beliefs in mind and care to follow through, i think thats great. however, if you want these animals to be political statements or anything along those lines, i can not imagine sharing your sentiments.

I hate the internet sometimes.... or maybe i should blame myself it seems that i have not the ability to express myself in a digital enviroment in the way i would hope.

My main concern for posting this thread was to get an idea of the options available to me. I know, it is my fault, that i didnt post my belief in not subjecting an animal to my dietary life style. I only posted the vegan question to see what the societal norm is. My post was intended to gather information i have not agreed to do anything yet. I have my own set of beliefs that will not buckle under the pressure by others. But that is not to say i am unreceptive to new ideas. Then again my beliefs might seem confusing since I choose not to eat animals.

I appreciate mariposa and chrissie and thinctwo for looking beyond the debate to the heart of my post. i just wanted information. I feel before I enter any situation I should be as knowledgable about it as possible. I have looked into the kosher animal products taht mariposa suggested, It looks to be a good option. Also, I called a few vetinarians. I asked about diets for animals. Without prompting them they talked about nutrient based diets telling me where a cat can get all of the things it needs. stressing nutrients above meat. When i followed up with the question of, "Can a cat sustain a healthy happy life on a vegitarian diet." IN which the doctor replied, "yes". he said that most cat food is only 15% ACTUAL MEAT. the rest is vegtables. He did however recommend that i let the cat choose the food it wants to eat itself. I agree with that option. it was one of the things i was considering doing. Now this in no way means im going to feed my cat only vegtables. but i will however offer my cat a selection to choose from of both meat and plants based diets.

I appreciate all the help i have recieved here. and i also appreciate the debate. i would love to discuss it further in thought and awarness. but for the pupose of this thread please only post relevant data. I know some people disagree with vegan diets for carnivorous animals that has been stated there is no need to state it again. if you feel retalitory why not start a bashing vegan pet owner thread. id be happy to offer you a taget. there is a time and place for everything. And at that time and place you will find me there.

thanks all

-phil-

Last edited by a moderator:
liquidphil1 said:
if you feel retalitory why not start a bashing vegan pet owner thread. id be happy to offer you a taget. there is a time and place for everything. thanks all

this is NOT a good idea and any such bashing thread would be closed (just to let the few people who would take your request seriously that it won't happen).

but for the pupose of this thread please only post relevant data.

Now this is good advice. Please everyone stay on topic and we won't have to start editing this thread.

I am slightly saddened that some people are too self-righteous (others might call it convicted) to enjoy the love and affection cats can give
i wouldn't want to be locked in an apartement by an "whatever species" master, even if he totally loved me and treated me really well.

so i refuse to do the same to an animal even though i'm dying to "have" a cat

i believe freedom and being able to socialize with others of its kind is more important than love for an animal

where is the self-righteounes about this?

I think that most breeds of house cats would have problems surviving in the wild in most countries
that's wishful thinking.

when i was a kid and had cats, we'd go to a house in the country for the week-end.
several of them escaped/went away
and for many years we'd still see them like once every 2 years in the wild.

you can trust a cat to survive easily

it's cruel and STUPID to force your beliefs on a helpless animal
i see stupidity in the fact that people here don't understand that was cats need is not meat in itself, but nutrients that are in meat whereas in low amounts in vegetables

if you give your cat taurine, arachidonate and vitamin D obtained from another source, you give it exactly what it needs

People that would subject their animals to a vegan diet are the same as the people who force their pets to ingest drugs
someone who gives his cat cat food is forcing the cat to eat "unatural food" as much as a vegan who feeds it a vegan supplement.
if you can't understand that, i'm sorry for you.
there is not comparison with someone who gives drugs to animals
vegan supplements are not harmful to cats
switch on your brain before you insult people

moving away from the topic of animals, the mention of kosher food reminds me how predjudiced people are

if i want to give vegan food to a child because of my ideas, you'll say i force my diet on him and it's wrong
now if an indian gives vegetarian food or a jew kosher food to a child because of his religion, then you'll consider it totally legitimate.

so following blindly a dogme is acceptable, but following your ideals is not?
congratulations!

the cat wouldn't eat cat food in the wild
you are deciding what the cat is going to eat.
you are forcing it to eat cat food
a vegan is not forcing it any more than you by giving it vegan supplements

as long as the cat gets the nutrients it needs, neither is doing harm to the cat.

8)

i wouldn't want to be locked in an apartement by an "whatever species" master, even if he totally loved me and treated me really well.

My cat is currently rolling around in the sun on the back lawn, without a care in the world. He has three legs and is completely road-sense deficient. I did let my cats roam for awhile - one was hit by a car, and one was captured in a trap by a crazy old woman and left to starve. I think I'll keep him where he is.

On the subject of children, in my opinion, giving a child vitamin pills because you are morally object to feeding him animal products like milk and eggs is just not on. I can understand people not wanting to feed their animal meat, or not wanting to keep an animal, and so on. But feeding a child processed vitamins instead of just giving them an egg for breakfast is awful. Some children raised as vegans experience great amounts of B-12 deficiencies - even when supplements are used - that cause irreversible brain damage and developmental delays. Why would you even expose your child to that kind of risk? I just don't understand.

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/60/66953.htm

http://chetday.com/vegandietdangers.htm

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=2045406&thesection=news&thesubsection=general

phil, i came across this info while browsing the web. it should be of interest to you

Cats and dogs - the Western World's most favorite "pets" Unfortunately, all too often little distinction is made between these two different species who, in the natural world, commonly pursue one another as predator and prey: canines eating smaller felines, and large felines eating canines.
"Pet care manuals" usually group the two species with little dedication to the uniqueness' and special adaptations of each, and common belief goes about that one is like the other.

How much can we in fact apply the nutritional needs of one to the other? How much are cats like dogs?
Like humans, canines differ considerably from felines in their nutritional needs and ability to digest, assimilate, and synthesize nutrients.

Canines, although classified as carnivores, are omnivorous, and posses the ability to break down plant matter, as well as synthesize essential nutrients from such. Beyond analyzing their anatomy, canine behaviour clearly indicates that they are not solely reliant upon flesh for sustenance. Once having killed larger prey, such as an ungulate, they will penetrate the abdominal cavity to first eat the stomach and intestines of the quarry. Wolfs and other canines are also frequently observed eating fallen fruit, or fruit, like berries, off bushes.

Felines on the other hand have evolved as true carnivores, unable to synthesize essential nutrients from plant matter (unlike humans or dogs) These include the amino acids Taurine and Arginine, and the fatty acid Arachidonic Acids as cats can not de-saturate polyunsaturated fatty acids (vegetable oils), as well as vitamin A, which the cat can not convert from Beta carotene. Small cats usually eat their prey whole, but many still refuse stomach and intestines. Larger cats seizing larger prey, such as ungulates, penetrate the stomach cavity just beneath the Sternum to eat the liver, lungs and heart - usually avoiding stomach and intestines. Cats are also rarely observed eating plant matter (besides grass for regurgitation)

Canines and Felines also differ in their general requirements for macro nutrients. Cats require far more protein in their diet than dogs do - requiring at least 25% of dietary protein for energy conversion - whereas the dog has adapted to use carbohydrates to meet its energy needs. To the cat, carbohydrates can in fact be potentially deadly in excess, resulting in an alkaline body environment, obesity, and diabetes, and can lead to allergies resulting in general poor health or manifest as alopecia (self induced hair-loss)
Vegetables, or plant matter in general, is only minimally present in the diet of wild living cats. If so, it is only present in a pre-digested state, but never raw (other than some fruit in the meal plan of the Margay - Leopardus wiedi) Cats do not produce the enzymes in their body necessary for the break down of plant cellulose, therefore leaving plant matter undigested. To make the nutrients in plant matter, such as carbohydrates, available to the cat, it must be heat processed in order to break down cellulose. Even well cooked plant matter, however, can cause severe indigestion in the cat.
A pure source of carbohydrates is completely unessential for the cat, as the cat can rely entirely on protein and fat for energy conversion. Protein and fat is converted to Glucose by the liver, which then directly meets the body's energy requirements. Glucose is also used for synthesis of Glycogen ("Animal starch" similar to Amylopectin starch) in the liver and muscle tissue, providing a source of pure sugar to the cat through synthesis as well as through meat tissue of the prey.
All other essential nutrients required by the cat are provided through the soft tissue and bones of her prey, and are unnecessary from plant sources. This is what makes the cat so unique. In a way, the cat is taking a 'short cut' in nutrient acquisition by leaving nutrient conversion from plant matter to herbivores, to then simply dip into the full bowl by eating the herbivore. To afford such a gamble, every feature of the cat's body is in turn physically completely adapted to be the "perfect predator"
Canines on the other hand, never evolved these physical requirements and must therefore be able to rely on plant matter as a back-up source of sustenance, not demonstrating such predatory successes as family Felidae.

What is good for dogs is not necessarily good for cats. They are two very different species, and we should treat them as such.

Just like human vegetarians (or vegans) have to take extra care to make sure they are getting all the nutrients and protiens that they need, the same would apply to pets. I don't see ANY problems with feeding a cat a vegan diet, as long as all of the cats nutritional bases are covered.

I say talk to a vet, and do some research to see exactly what the dietary needs of a cat are. Then see what you can do with the vegan diet. There is almost always another way to get what you need from meat, from a plant source.

Sorry a bit off-topic, but can you cat lovers pimp your favourite breed of cat. I'm having trouble deciding. Pics if possible. I would really love a serval cat (http://www.serval-cats.com/), they are so beautiful but they are just too expensive and too high maitenence, maybe one day.
serval-0018.jpg

My cat is currently rolling around in the sun on the back lawn, without a care in the world
it could also be running in the wild with other cats
I did let my cats roam for awhile - one was hit by a car
the french author boris vian wrote a book called "l'arrache coeur" in which he pictures a women who's so scared that her children would get hurt in the real world that she keeps them in a cage all their life.

how come you don't apply your logic to all other beings you love?
how come you don't lock up your friends or your kid (from the avatar i guess you have one) so they'll never get hurt.
i just saw the movie "i, robot" yesterday. pretty much the same reasoning : you might be a danger to yourself so i prevent you from acting freely.

accidents arrive and it's a good thing to try to prevent them... but to a certain extent.
and the prevention shouldn't be more harmful than the risk itself

being hit by a car is the exception, not the rule
your cat was hit by a car because you left it out in an area with cars
wild cats don't really run after cars you know
humans can't domesticate animals that were rather safe in the wilderness and then use the argument that it's not safe anymore around humans and cars to keep them inside.
2 wrongs don't make one right
and one was captured in a trap by a crazy old woman and left to starve
and this is domestication for you!
for 1 person who respects his animals and tries to treat them good (even when i disagree whether ti's good or not), you have probably 2 or 3 who mistreat them
and it's the logical consequence of the general attitude towards animals
if people think they can own them, eat them, wear them, experiment on them, they stop thinking about them as sentient being but as objects they can treat as they wish
But feeding a child processed vitamins instead of just giving them an egg for breakfast is awful
way to dramatize things!
how about "injecting vitamin supplements instead of just giving an egg" to make it appear even worse?
what do you believe?
that a vegan child diet just consists of supplement pills?
you're only fooling yourself. a vegan diet is way more appealing to me than an omnivorous one even by color, smell, consistence and taste
a vegan child diet will be as colourful with just a few supplement pills
why not just an egg?
why not just an ovary coming out of the butt of a hen?
because that seems more awful to me than fruits and vegetables.
Some children raised as vegans experience great amounts of B-12 deficiencies - even when supplements are used
i liked the heroin in those pills, but there was cross tolerance with the lsd that's stuck in my spine
Why would you even expose your child to that kind of risk?
because the risk is in your head

the first link you gave mentioned 2 cases of B12 deficiency.
obviously some people don't do thing right. (especially in the case of crazy/mystic/whatever parents who follow a religious diet (maybe not the case here))
this mother probably didn't inquire enough about the supplements that were needed (which is not much, really)

the second one was breastfed by "a mother who ate a vegetarian diet with reportedly very little meat, fish, or dairy products"
there is not much about veganism here then
plus if you've read anything serious about B12, you'll know for sure that the amount needed is so small that about any amount of B12 containing animal product is enough

ok, so that's 2 cases in a population of thousands, congratulations my.webmd.com

the second link gives one example and doesn't say if the child was fed any supplements
plus anyone in his right mind knows that a diet called Hallelujah Diet can't be good
ok, so that's 1 case in a population of thousands, congratulations chetday.com

how many omnivorous mothers have to go to the doctor because the child had problems that turned out to be related to his diet?
a loooot too
why blame the few vegan cases and not the many omnivorous ones?

the last mentions "40 cases described in medical literature"
well, without B12 supplements, i'm surprised it's not a lot more

from this last link, i believe the followings are false (even though some are rather on the vegan side):

" Often people who switch to a vegan or vegetarian diet as adults have enough of the vitamin to last years, as many as 20."
- cool, it's growing every year. it used to only be up to 5 years
can't stop the progress!

" There are eight amino acids the human body does not produce but which it needs to stay healthy. Animal proteins contain all eight, and in the right proportions, but vegetable proteins contain only five to six and not always in the right quantities"
- this is just plain bullshit

" The only source of the vitamin in a non-animal protein diet was mushrooms."
- i've never heard that before
i'm pretty sure if it was true it would have been mentioned/used on sites such as the vegan society's one
on the other hand, B12 can be present in the dirt on the surface of vegetables that haven't been washed yet (not applicable to those you get in stores of course)

" I certainly see a lot of vegans or even vegetarians who are not eating enough protein"
- please show me vegetarians with protein deficiency
please, please, oh please
i want to see one
it'd be like the holy grail to me, i've been promised so many
bullshit
the average american omnivore eats 4 times as much protein as he needs, that is a truth
fucking protein deficiency is the stupidest myth of all
at least there is a real problem with B12, stop bullshitting about protein

so in those links there's only 2 cases where it's sure that the child was given B12 supplements
and we don't know if the rest of their diet had any logic
if you eat only rice you'll be sick
if you eat only meat you'll be sick