• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Valium wears off quickly despite long half life

Usually when your able to develop a significant withdrawal from valium, it's better to go back and taper, sense the withdrawal can last forever due to the long half life. It's one of those drugs where if you taper low enough you can miss most of the benzo withdrawal. At least that's the way I look at it.

If you have a few 10mg tablets you can break them into quarters. Take it once a day only at night to get used to not being on benzo's, then start skipping a day, ect.

i agree with ErgicMergic on the feelings of valium to be quite subtle while xanax on the other hand you can def feel soon as it hits and as soon as it wear off..

as for the the withdrawal part of his post, i can't say. i'm not dependent on benzos though my mom takes 3 mg xanax/day for the past ~3 years, and she can go nearly 12 hours without withdrawaling which i find weird. she doses 1.5 mg xanax at 10 am and 1.5 mg at 8 pm and is fine from 8 pm - 10 am, though she says if her dose isn't in her by 10 15 she's starting to shake and withdrawal terribly. i just find this weird how she can be held off so long but most people claim to have to redose xanax every 4-6 hours to avoid withdrawals?

try a higher dose if i just do a few xanax bars it lasts me about an hour if a do several xanax bars it lasts me all day just be careful too much and you'll black out

I find Diazepam kicks in within 15 to 45 mins. Keeps me happy for maybe 2 hours then leaves me anxiety free from anywhere between 6-8 hours to 2 days depending on current tolerance & levels of stress or general well being.

By far the best benzo. Fuck Lorazepam. It hits the spot but like one guy said on here once you need to 'surround your pills with claymore mines to prevent you from compulsively redosing'.

When i first started taking 5 mg valiums i'd be amazed that after taking a dose on, say, friday, i'd still be feeling subtle effects late saturday: waves of sudden sedation, total lack of anxiety. Now that's rare.

I think the length of the effect you feel is based on your current mental state & your expectations of the drug.

I find Diazepam kicks in within 15 to 45 mins. Keeps me happy for maybe 2 hours then leaves me anxiety free from anywhere between 6-8 hours to 2 days depending on current tolerance & levels of stress or general well being.

By far the best benzo. Fuck Lorazepam. It hits the spot but like one guy said on here once you need to 'surround your pills with claymore mines to prevent you from compulsively redosing'.

When i first started taking 5 mg valiums i'd be amazed that after taking a dose on, say, friday, i'd still be feeling subtle effects late saturday: waves of sudden sedation, total lack of anxiety. Now that's rare.

I think the length of the effect you feel is based on your current mental state & your expectations of the drug.

damn you could feel 5mg of valium?? thats like .25mg xanax

I've used oxazepam, alprazolam, diazepam and clonazepam continuously for various periods in my life (and phenazepam occassionally) and IMO clonazepam is the one with the longest effect. It also has a very long half-life, but remember half-life is not the same as actual effects.

If you want a really long-acting benzo, try phenazepam. Not that I recommend it though. Clonazepam is my favourite. Perfect for anxiety and panic attacks and has a long effect (6-8 hours). Also less sedative than diazepam. My psychiatrist told me clonazepam is the benzo wich binds most strongly to the GABA receptors in the brain. I haven't found much info about this though, so I can't verify it.

Please can someone advise. What is a starting dose of mirtazapine. I want to try self med after 2 years of trying all the first line and some second line ADs. Like others I am beyond caring about what happens later, I want some releif now.

Please can someone advise. What is a starting dose of mirtazapine. I want to try self med after 2 years of trying all the first line and some second line ADs. Like others I am beyond caring about what happens later, I want some releif now.
Wrong thread. This one is 5 years old and about diazepam...
A quick google search would tell you this:
Initial dose: 15 mg orally once a day at bedtime
Maintenance dose: 15 to 45 mg orally once a day
Maximum dose: 45 mg/day
https://www.drugs.com/dosage/mirtazapine.html

The length of peak effects really doesn't correlate with half-life. Half-life concerns the amount of drug in plasma over time, while there are other factors at play determining the strength of effects felt. If you've been addicted to opiates (or any drug physically addicting drug really, opiates are just the best to illustrate this), you know that you only feel the effects for a short while after administration, but withdrawal doesn't set in for a while longer. This illustrates it pretty well, IMO.

I 100% agree with this. If I take 40mg of Oxy at lets say 9am the effects fully wear off by about 1pm but the withdrawal doesnt set in till the next morning. For me opioid withdrawal doesnt start till 24 hours after my last dose.

Yeah I feel you on this...very annoying. probably lasts like 3-4 hours for me. Though people hate this benzo...for some reason although short half-life the effects of ativan seem to really last the longest/linger around the longest.

^ pretty sure that's why lorazepam is prescribed a lot for sleep issues - its not too strong but lingers around for fuckin agessss