• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Valium vs. Xanax XR

speedballs_over

Bluelighter
TL/DWR - I'm tapering with both Valium and clonaZOLAM. Wondering if Xanax XR, as a triazolo, has a place in my taper? But it's a bit complex.... Maybe this belongs in a support forum but the drug ?s may be tricky for that group. What's the general consensus from the informed, the experienced on clonazOLAM to Valium equipotentcy? 1-mg:30-mg? 1-mg:20-mg?

Ok...

Tapering from nine years of clonazepam 4- then 3-mg/day. Got to the equivalent of 1.5-mg/clonazepam with Valium, very proud of that, but I previously also co-habitted clonaZOLAM 1-mg/day maximum, for three months (June through August).

Noting else non-prescribed except a few times a year I indulge in quality, lab tested no levi cocaine, ~80% most batches. Cleaning that "habit" up too, but difficult with a killer supply who calls me. I used stims four times this summer and that's why I got the RC benzo habit too. Some old school stims + clonazolam = perfect spot. Can do two lines of hq stuff, 1-mg of clonazolam and not feel urge to re-dose stim for 2- 3 hrs, normally would be much more "moorish." And it gets me just fucking fine, like it's pure cocaine, it kills the effects of the minimal cut but leaves the coke feeling alone, ime. Not an endorsement.

I'm pretty certain I know the best answer to this question but it's been rattling around my brain since my psych suggested Xanax XR in place of clonazepam for GAD/agoriphobia/mood stability and to get along and play nice with others.

Obviously, the blow must be discontinued, even if it's < 6 x year.

?: It's there any value to trying Xanax XR rather than or along with Valium during my taper? I'm taking answers as suggestions not medical advice, as should be in this forum.

My guess, naturally, is no. Primarily b/c of diazepam's active metabolites being the best for these tapers regardless of benzo structure for the one(s) you want off, in my case both/all.

I'm not looking to change completely, the Valium stays regardless (back issues, in PT & Valium helping immensely), as I'm tapering. We'll hopefully have my back in better shape by the time my Valium is reduced to sub therapeutic levels, otherwise, Soma? Flexeril? Just deal with it? Prob., just deal with it b/c I'm red flagged in the CS database.

In my case long term clonazepam was likely indicated (off label) b/c it took nearly a decade of very good CBT to get my anxiety while on 3-mg/day clonazepam under control. We also had many issues of fallout from years of slamming dope, coke, meth, etc... to resolve. I think I'm ready to walk on my own (ex. maintaining on bupe, I will use dope if I can, I'm very weak for H, so bupe is appropriate, though I don't ever crave, I just know I'd return... Like despite not craving I almost bought some dope yesterday just cause I could, instead spent it on edible & smokeable cannabis, yeah, one more step in right direction)

I guess I'm thinking that a slow release triazolo might better satisfy some of my tapering needs, or use a combo of the two - Val, and Xanax XR?

I'm going to speak to my psych about the clonaZOLAM issue at our next appt, I probably can't do this alone, it's ill advised, a new friend on here is helping me give up my tendency to try to control my intake myself- thanks!

So, since she won't know clonaZOLAM, and she respects my pharmaceutical knowledge (pharma chemist), I thought maybe I'd suggest we try something like continuing many Valium taper, but adding in a mid-day dose of 1-mg Xanax XR to replace & taper my .75 - 1-mg/day clonaZOLAM co-habit or just go all Valium?

If all Valium I need my first? answered conservatively, equipotentcy of clonAZ vs. diazepam?

I could taper the clonazolam myself, but like I wrote above a friend here suggests that may not be best, although same friend has outlined a way to do it myself with the shit load of excess prescription benzos I have on hand from not taking them while I took RC benzos. I'm sure my new friend would say, yeah dude, go with your doc involved fully. I'm ready to agree.

A real life friend may be reading this too and may recognize me by many clues, if so WG you now know my full situation. It's not that bad really, but it's a pickle you warned me about. As always, WG you were correct, and predicted the outcome.

My psych is very good, she teaches psych at a major US University medical school, as well as maintaining a private high-end, no insurance, expensive ass practice - we did her and my first ever methadone to bupe induction. We work as a team, but she holds the keys and has the break pedal. She knows her clinical pharmacy well, but for an RC she'll take my word, and prescribe as I request, with options I may not have considered usually offered as well.

Hope that wasn't too confusing.

Yes, I have one final issue to resolve b/f I can stand at a meeting and say I'm sober (the blow). I'll never talk about my bupe prescription, just doesn't seem to be understood well by my fellow friends of Bill, whom I need to reunite with ASAP.

Hey there. Firs off, I totally get not bringing up bupe at a meeting. I assume you go to NA? and while NA tends to be a bit more progressive (reformed IMO) compared to AA, NA is also a much more dedicated/thorough program in terms of the massive amount of inventory and the sheer number of questions involved in the steps. Because the philosophy is literally "all addictive substances", I've found a lot of people in NA have the attitude that things like bupe or benzos used as prescribed for psych mean you aren't sober. You know you best.

OTOH, this

Like despite not craving I almost bought some dope yesterday just cause I could, instead spent it on edible & smokeable cannabis, yeah, one more step in right direction

and this

otherwise, Soma?

suggest major caution. Not brining up bupe in meetings because folks won't understand your situation is one thing. These others suggest you sre still walking very close to the edge here. I'm not judging, just pointing that out to you for what it's worth.

As to your fundamental question here, IMO as a mental health and addiction/recovery professional with both training and personal experience in/with benzo addiction, I feel comfortable saying that my opinion is no, there is no place or alprazolamXR in your taper if you truly want to wean from the clonazolam and ultimately to sub-theraputic levels with the valium. It's like someone trying to control their diabetes drinking lots of fruit juice because it's healthier than soda and then wondering why their blood sugar levels are high and why they crash 45 min after drinking it.

Clonazolam is a short acting benzo just like alpraz or triaz or loraz. Short acting benzoz are tapered with diazepam as the preferred medication for this purpose because of its long half life and relatively mild action as compared to other long acting benzos, including clonazepam which is also tapered with diazepam after the initial weeks.

Adding alprazolamXR to your taper is an invitation to abuse and will simply fuck up your game by offering he potenial for a high. It is completely unnecessary. Valium is perfectly capable of handling poly-benzo issues.

Here is a link to the Ashton Manual. It's a great place to start with clearly understaning the nature of benzo tapers. I would post the 3mg clonazepam taper, which is the one most akin to your situation IMO, but I can't find an image fine of that particular one. Go check it out and see what you think. Feel free to PM me if you have specific quesions.

Best of luck.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm#s6

In my extensive experience and knowledge I'm going to say no, it's not wise to add a triazolobenzodiazepine in to your taper, they do NOT help tapers, they make them harder and worse in my experience.

@Speedballs, I would follow these guys advice. Especially all of what Fig was saying. After reading it, it definitely makes sense. It really comes down to how badly you want to get off the benzos. As with all drugs, it can only truly happen when you are ready to just stop. The help that comes after in the form of a taper is the hardest part because of the ease with which you could just say fuck it and get high instead. You can do this, and you have all my contact info in case anything goes belly side up.