• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Valium propranolol and a glass of wine?

Lex86

Greenlighter
Hi I have a quick question. I’m new here but I couldn’t find my answer ANYWHERE. I am prescribed Valium 10 mg with 10 mg of propranolol, panic and anxiety. I don’t take it every day but took it today because my wedding is in 5 weeks and I am overwhelmed and have so much going on. Im not a big drinker, or frequent drinker. Once every few months I’ll gave some wine. And by some I mean 2 glasses because 2 glasses tops gets me tipsy ? anyway I’m looking to have just ONE glass of wine, but not if the combination of my anxiety meds would kill me or even if it’s a 50-50 chance. I just want to know if I will likely be fine, or if it’s super risky. My fience thinks I’m being rediculous lol so if anyone has ever had a drink while being on these meds, what was your experience?were you okay? Unsure if you were okay? Also I was completely honest about my dosages, just in case dosage matters. I called the pharmacy and they have me convinced I’ll die. Lol but I know they are just erring on the side of caution and wondering if they are giving me the least likely and worst case scenario? Or is it that serious? I’d like to know this now for the future too, since I have my bridal shower coming up and wedding. Thank you

it’s good you will not accept 50/50 odds of death for a glass of wine.

it won’t kill you. it will be far more disinhibiting than a glass of wine alone, which could lead to poor decisions. possibly including additional glasses of wine.

welcome to bluelight.

it’s good you will not accept 50/50 odds of death for a glass of wine.

it won’t kill you. it will be far more disinhibiting than a glass of wine alone, which could lead to poor decisions. possibly including additional glasses of wine.

welcome to bluelight.
Thank you for the welcome and quick response! I would only drink one glass out of nervousness of knowing what just 2 glasses of wine alone does! Lol and I’m home with my fience. I ended up just dumping the glass down the sink, because I didn’t see this untill now, and I wasn’t risking it. Lol prob just going to go to bed but good to know for the future! Thank you again!

Smart decision, as I am not too familiar with your anxiety med and it's possible side effects. However, whenever there are questions such as you asked, there just aren't many ways to justify taking risks like that. Well played and I too "Welcome" you to BL and best of luck going forward!

Smart decision, as I am not too familiar with your anxiety med and it's possible side effects. However, whenever there are questions such as you asked, there just aren't many ways to justify taking risks like that. Well played and I too "Welcome" you to BL and best of luck going forward!
Thank you! :)

I don't think 1 glass would hurt, just try to keep it to one because all 3 are cns depressants.
Enjoy the wedding ❤

Also 10mg of propanolol is quite a low dose, I've been scripted 80mg I believe and have had a beer with no ill consequence. The valium and alcohol combination is definitely going to be more noticeable / dangerous.

That is a good combination for that situation, almost tailor made I would think as propranolol is very commonly used off label for stage fright. I used to do this combination with DHC, codeine, or nicocodeine plus 350+ mg of caffeine and some tramadol in the mix too. The tramadol was good for sex too as I could go for a little under three to over six hours.

What the chemists you talked to on the telephone are thinking of is that because of its low toxicity and a rather high floor on its actions on the CNS depression-stimulation continuum make diazepam and other benzodiazepines safe if taken by themselves, and overdose cases almost invariably involve alcohol, which can have the diazepam potentiate it and bring other things like vomitus aspiration into the picture.

Using champagne or chasing everything with carbonated beverages, especially on an empty stomach, will have the drugs hit you harder and faster.

My direct experience with this is that up to two glasses of wine (Graševina, Grüner Veltliner, Rieslings of various types) or an equivalent small serving of šljivovica or absinthe had no adverse effects. When I had much less tolerance back at the beginning, it was not at all uncommon for me to wash down my codeine, dihydrocodeine, thebacon &c with a gin & tonic along with various Cytochrome P450 II-D-6 agents to make the narcotics work better,

It could be that the liver can be occupied with one or the other but not a lot of both at the same time. I have large doses of narcotics, antihistamines, and skeletal muscle relaxants in my system round the clock. My issue with alcohol is that there is a metabolic incompatibility betwixt the narcotics and alcohol -- above that threshold I get essentially a very pale imitation of the disulfram like effect: hangover effects beginning almost immediately and no real tipsiness -- I can knock this down with a double dose of my immediate-release narcotic

You may want to do a test run or initial dose with cutting the Blue Bomber in half and see what it does, then you can take the other half if it seems like it helps. Whether it was diazepam or nitrazepam, I did have better results dissolving the tablets under my tongue as opposed to swallowing them. One concern I had was the possible amnestic effect -- two ladies jumping ones bones simultaneously is something that one wants to remember, not forget or have only hazy recollections.

Last edited:
Hi I have a quick question. I’m new here but I couldn’t find my answer ANYWHERE. I am prescribed Valium 10 mg with 10 mg of propranolol, panic and anxiety. I don’t take it every day but took it today because my wedding is in 5 weeks and I am overwhelmed and have so much going on. Im not a big drinker, or frequent drinker. Once every few months I’ll gave some wine. And by some I mean 2 glasses because 2 glasses tops gets me tipsy ? anyway I’m looking to have just ONE glass of wine, but not if the combination of my anxiety meds would kill me or even if it’s a 50-50 chance. I just want to know if I will likely be fine, or if it’s super risky. My fience thinks I’m being rediculous lol so if anyone has ever had a drink while being on these meds, what was your experience?were you okay? Unsure if you were okay? Also I was completely honest about my dosages, just in case dosage matters. I called the pharmacy and they have me convinced I’ll die. Lol but I know they are just erring on the side of caution and wondering if they are giving me the least likely and worst case scenario? Or is it that serious? I’d like to know this now for the future too, since I have my bridal shower coming up and wedding. Thank you

Sounds like a great relaxing time! LOL at the Pharmacist. Even with zero tolerance there is no chance you will die. At best you'll have an awesome time, at worst you'll sleep it off.
I used to drink ~a gallon of wine every day while I was prescribed Xanax and it didn't do me any harm.

EDIT: come to think of it, I was also on Lortabs, too.

Last edited:
I would test drive the combination at home first.

I don't expect grave medical consequences, but there might be a possibility of inappropriate behavior, and temporary memory loss (black out). Would be sad to not remember much of the wedding.

Good luck and have a good wedding!