PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Valium before LSD

w0nky

Greenlighter
I know that valium is supposed to greatly diminish the effects of LSD

However I was wondering if this was dose dependent
I have taken one diazepam tablet this morning (2mg)

If I take 240ug at 12 today will I feel diminished effects? And to what degree?

Nobody can tell you how this will affect you. It's all subjective.

If you planned to take LSD today you should have just not taken the valium at all.

Approx 240 ugs dosing micrograms is always an approximate. I doubt 2 mg diazepam taken some time prior to your lsd dose mentioned will have any significant impact. Indeed with drugs like the nbome's i tend to dose say 1.25 mg or 2.5 mg diazepam (valium) due to the unpredictable nature of the nb's. I'd not worry in the least. If some time has elapsed between diazepam dose and your lsd dose reduced subjective efgects would be minimal. If 20 mg of diaz had been consumed you would experience reduced subjective effects from the lsd. Im about to consume approx 400 ug 25b nbome after 2.5 mg diaz and 30 mg mscontin and i expect very little reductiob of subjective effects from the 25b. Loads of experience tells me as much. Everyone reacts differently to substances. My exgf just booted me out of our house and i had to find a new residence due to her irritability after combining stimulants and psychedelics. Benzos are your friend dont abuse but use them to dampen the tail end of a trip or stimulant. They are also handy if adverse events like tachycardia become concerning, even for the experienced drug user. Try 4 aco met if you ever get thr chance or 4aco dmt. Much better and safer than clandestine lsd imo.

As rabbit of thingy said its subjective. Best to have on hand if physical synptoms like hypertension or tachycardia becime a concern. Speaking as an experienced emergency department nurse. Not always grest pre trip. Pre loading with 5 htp before doing mdma is also bunk.

2mg is such a small dude I doubt it would have any effect. In my experience benzos don't necessarily finish the effects of the drug but rather the anxiety associated with it (and uncomfortable body highs)

Basically: valium like other benzo's dulls a trip, but the doses you mention are very small indeed. Unless you are extremely sensitive, the positive and negative effects and interactions of the valium should remain limited.

Yeah it is true we cannot predict how you will respond since drug reactions always vary... but we can tell you what you may want to expect and anticipate based on average experiences.

I'd only consider myself at a very modest level of knowledge and experience with both these substances, but hopefully you find this information useful, lol.

Valium has a very long half life compared to pretty much all other benzos (200 hours approx.), though the immediate effects will subside much sooner. If it's only a slight dose of benzo, I think the main thing you'd really notice is an enhancement of the anxiolysis/relaxation. This is really good if you're naturally anxiety prone (like I am, lol).

As I'm sure we all know, the mental state that a substance induces is a main factor in the kind of trip that you experience. So if you get rising anxiety from lsd, like many people do, it could easily lead to a tense experience where the drug might push you into addressing important psychological or other personal issues. While I agree with most of the posts here, I don't necessarily think benzos before a trip is a bad idea at all, lol. I wish I would have used benzos during my first mushroom trips since anxiety can actually stifle the effects of psychedelics which left me kinda let down and frustrated for the first handful of experiences.

IME, the main thing that benzos reduce is the hallucinatory/visual effects of psychs. The mental effects on the other hand are subjectively altered if there's even any change at all. Maybe the focus is just switched over to the person's train of thought, although this is just a speculation. I actually had a really awesome experience using 4-aco-dmt with both adderall and klonopin (although this trip was EXTREMELY visual and I got lost in a dali painting that I had as my desktop background for a half hour or so). I'm actually prescribed to psychiatric medications, though, which may have been a factor. Unfortunately, all I can do is speculate on the effects of a combination with lsd since all the L I've used has always only been with high grade cannabis.

Anyway, hope this helps and happy bicycle day and 420 everyone! lol

I'm just curious because I take 1.5mgs of Klonopin daily and when I did acid several times when I was younger I wasn't on it, but I did do shrooms on Klonopin and had a great trip though I did not have visuals, but I only once ever got visuals from shrooms and that was the first time.

Is is REALLY true that no matter how much acid or any psychedelic you do that you are going to get less visuals??

That just seems to not make sense that because I am on 1.5 mgs of Klonopin daily that I could take 4-5 hits of REALLY strong acid or smoke some DMT and not get visuals.

I'm thinking that I would still trip very hard either way.

Of course, I have no access to acid these days, but I'd like to find some more at some point and I don't want to think that I won't trip hard because I take Klonopin.

Some people just don't experience visuals much. Taking more psychedelic should make up for whatever the benzo takes away from the trip.

seems like the OP is very confused if he needs valium and wants to trip on lsd, they basically have opposite effects.... it's like mixing salt and sugar

I don't understand this consensus that you can't mix benzos and psychedelics. Always seems slightly purist to me. I also get the strong implication that a lot of people who speak against it are basing their ideas on pure conjecture?

If you want to take benzos with psychedelics then you will still trip. In my experience the only effect which is diminished is that negative edge which can take a trip in a bad direction.

I've mixed benzos and psychedelics pretty much every time I've taken psychedelics and I've had the same experiences and realisations that anybody else will typically have.

I would recommend dissociatives like ketamine many times over any gaba drugs... they reduce anxiety as well and add to the psychedelic experience, rather than diminish it (slowing down the DMT experience for example and helps to remember it)

if you have no access to discociatives, I would recommend https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GABA_transaminase_inhibitor like chamomile or melissa officianalis instead as there is a lot of evidence that the potential of withdrawals and negative effects is lower... talking specifically about chamomile, a good quality cup with 2 bags has a bigger hypnotic effect than etizolam 2mg

Last edited:
I always take both, as ketamine is so freely available here it's pretty much a staple part of any psychedelic experience. Always dive into a k-hole for the remaining part of the trip.

Doesn't personally reduce my anxiety mind, as it heightens the effects of any drug I'm on.

Cheers for the chamomile info though. I'm growing herbs this year and chamomile is now a dead cert. Gorgeous smell too.

I would recommend dissociatives like ketamine many times over any gaba drugs... they reduce anxiety as well and add to the psychedelic experience, rather than diminish it (slowing down the DMT experience for example and helps to remember it)

if you have no access to discociatives, I would recommend https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GABA_transaminase_inhibitor like chamomile or melissa officianalis instead as there is a lot of evidence that the potential of withdrawals and negative effects is lower... talking specifically about chamomile, a good quality cup with 2 bags has a bigger hypnotic effect than etizolam 2mg

You mean that chamomile and melissa/lemon balm can put you in a state similar to Ketamine?!?

Why have I not heard of this before?

I've had chamomile tea and it didn't fuck me up at all...

You mean that chamomile and melissa/lemon balm can put you in a state similar to Ketamine?!?

Why have I not heard of this before?

I've had chamomile tea and it didn't fuck me up at all...

I think he means for the anti-anxiety effects, though I did google the combo yesterday and found people claiming that chamomile potentiates tryptamines.

Whether it actually does, or not, I have no idea.

exactly, I said that if people have problems with anxiety, chamomile or lemon balm are better choices than benzos