• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Using phenibut to counteract excitotoxicity from phenobarbital WD

Anxious.Individual

Bluelighter
I rapidly tapered down from 200mg a day prescribed Phenobarbital (I'm from Russia) from Feb to March, because it was causing liver-related issues and generally made me feel like a zombie. I don't have epilepsy, I was prescribed it for insomnia and anxiety. As I expected, after horrific withdrawals and intense DTs, I felt far less depressed, and for once felt energy and was no longer clumsy. I started having insomnia issues and abused RC opis (butyr/furanylfentanyl), and had a few more horrific WDs. I also started experiencing brain zaps and twitching, as well as tinnitus and minor auditory and closed eye hallucinations, probably as a result of some nasty excitotoxicity. My neurologist suggested for me to try Phenibut (here in Russia it is sold as a prescription drug in 250mg tabs). Today I've taken 500mg as prescribed and I can say without exaggeration, that it is doing wonders so far, all of the symptoms I described earlier are gone. and my body and mind feels at peace and I don't feel impaired, in fact I feel cognitive and general performance enhancements. I can imagine for all of those suffering from barb/benzo WD or other GABAergic WD, phenibut is great option to help with recovery.
My question is: I Know that phenibut is a weak gaba-b agonist, which doesn't actually produce too many effects, however is there anything else to its pharmacology that might contribute to it helping with GABAergic WD?

Last edited:
GABA-B agonists a la GHB definitely do produce effects that are typical of all GABAergic drugs, so phenibut also has the potential to do so, albeit requiring higher dosages. I'm not a GABAergic withdrawal expert, but it seems to me from anecdotal evidence that quick tapers from high dosages, which you did - if you experienced DTs - may result in a very protracted state of withdrawal that may last for months. It can be alleviated with GABAergics, obviously, so it's no surprise that phenibut is working for you. It is strongly recommended not to taper GABAergics too fast, let alone cold turkey, because intense withdrawal can be harmful (excitotoxicity) and even lethal. The brain is quite plastic, though, so the damage is mostly reversible, even though it may take time before you feel normal again.

Phenibut is a voltage-dependent calcium channel (VDCC) blocker, as well as a GABA-B agonist, with higher affinity (~5 fold) for the VDCC than GABA, but I reckon the GABAergic effect of it is still of significance. Similar drugs, gabapentin and pregabalin are only VDCC blockers, without affecting GABA-B, and they seem to aid in withdrawal as well, so there's that too. All in all, I see no harm in taking phenibut if it helps you feel better. I don't know what exactly you were looking for in terms of an answer, but I hope this post will be helpful.

Gabapentin and pregabalin's effect on GABA B is highly disputed and they do produce effects similar to GABA B agonists, such as baclofen and GHB, so whether they do or not is a matter of debate. And using strong GABA B agonists to counter excitotoxicity in the acute phase of withdrawal is not recommended as GABA B agonists produce an excitatory reactions themselves by activating low voltage gated T-type calcium channels and cause a kindling effect in the brain in addition to the one already occuring during alcohol withdrawal.

I would not recommend this for acute withdrawals.

But if you're not suffering acutely, then it would be fine, as you seem to be doing well on it. I would not raise your dose though. Stay at your prescribed dosage. That's how phenibut is meant to be taken.... People think they can go and take 2 - 4 even 6 grams for whatever reason and be fine and not suffer any ill effects and they bitch about it and call phenibut a horrible drug and advise people to stay away from it. It's quite ridiculous, in my opinion.