• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Using Adderall and Clonidine to Taper off Oxy

BilboBaggins2

Bluelighter
Just in case this helps someone else, Adderall has worked wonders for me to get off Oxy, in combination with clonidine as well. Clonidine alone took away the sweats, but I still felt like death warmed over and very, very tired. Adderall and Clonidine made me feel almost completely normal; the clonidine apparently knocked out the anxiety and speedy heart rate but the adderall I'm guessing boosted dopamine enough so that I wasn't tired or depressed. I still didn't feel 100%, but I definitely felt 85-90%.

I think the key is keeping the usage low -- only 7.5 to 15 mg of adderall if you have tolerance or 5 - 10 mg if you don't have tolerance to go along with 0.01 mg of Clonidine. It amazed me how much easier it made the whole process. And during tapering, this combo actually allowed me to go 10-12 hours between Oxy doses instead of 4 hours, and my tolerance/dependence tended to drop like crazy using that dosing interval. I went from 120 mg down to 40 in a matter of 7-10 days instead of weeks without feeling sick or having to stay in bed.

I doubt there have been any studies on this since I don't think anyone wants to be the one to say one incredibly addicting drug can help reduce an addiction to a different incredibly addicting drug but in my experience it works if done correctly. Just space your decreasing doses of oxycodone before and after the dose(s) of adderall (i.e. I'd take the oxy at 5:30 am when I get up, the adderall/clonidine at 9:30 am, and then I wouldn't need to dose oxy again until around 5:30 pm. The oxy tolerance dropped like a rock until a point where I was able to feel normal and good for extended times without Oxy. Probably the biggest factor in being able to maintain normalcy is it completely gets rid of that brain fog/lack of motivation that is so devastating during opiate withdrawal.

And if your plan is to get on Suboxone or Buprenorphine, this also worked to make the 24 hours before Sub induction much, much easier. The key in that scenario is dosing your last dose of Oxy in the morning, then the adderall twice earlier in the day, and in the evening using another dose of Clonidine to assist with sleep (that one night will probably be rough on sleep, but you'll get a little). Then the next morning start the Sub.

Last edited:
Stimulants certainly do reduce some symptoms of opioid withdrawal (but clearly can also certain symptoms exacerbate symptoms).

Sounds like you are still on some oxycodone though, right?

Stimulants might be better for tapering than for acute withdrawal, although I've found them sometimes helpful for that as well.

I've always found stimulants made the withdrawals much worse, but I guess everyone's different.

I would think that adderall in the short term would help mitigate, but would also make depression worse in the long run. I wouldn’t advise/not advise this, as it’s helped me. But generally adderall makes me more likely to use something for the come down. So if you can take adderall and be fine, then good I think it will work. But if your come downs create a poly drug use. I wouldn’t advise this

You'll get some relief from amphetamine sure but be prepared to be absolutely miserable when the comedown hits you.
This, and for me. When I come down. I have to have something, (oxycodone or benzo) or if I don’t have anything I’ll drink a couple drinks. Unless OP is Superman and doesn’t get adderall comedowns.

First, I have to say this site is so very beneficial and useful to anyone seeking information that is not honestly disclosed anywhere else. I have enjoyed and struggled with opioid dependence for many years, but this past year has been almost non stop do to increased access (was able to get many hundreds of pills) and all that came with this pandemic. I just finally had my last dose about two weeks ago. I am completely out (I know because I have spent hours crawling around all over every floor of every room I was ever in with anything along those lines, just digging for a piece/part of a pill I may have broke off and dropped (I almost never did, but my mind convinces something has to be there and I must look endlessly...I have to fight with myself to stop looking!)) with no access at all (otherwise I would still be using no doubt). The withdrawal is phenomenal. It is amazing how many parts of the mind and body it effects.

The pain, the aches, restless leg syndrome, acid reflux, the feeling like you are carrying a giant around on your back and you sometimes you cannot even lift your arms. The emotional toll as well is incredible, the ups and downs, I am up at the moment, but have no doubt many more downs are coming, but each one is lasting a little less time and is a little more bearable. The anger and depression over nothing is also awful, having my emotional state out of my control is really tough to deal with. I am usually a very calm and quiet person, but not recently, I can sound like a toddler having a temper tantrum. Fortunately, I've been able to keep most of my out bursts behind closed doors. But that of course has lead me to avoiding family and friends. And with my odd mood they are thinking its them in some cases, but of course I cannot explain.

Having said all that, I too am taking a variation of Adderall, generic Dextroamphetamine only and it does help me as well. Along with Flexeril and Benzo's once in a while at night, when the aches are really bad and I absolutely cannot sleep (small doses of each, don't want another problem there as well). But, I am running low on the Dextro, so that will be gone soon (access on that is gone now too), hoping coming off that will not be as bad as the Oxy. I have skipped some days when I have felt better here and there and not noticed much difference, but have not gone more than two days in a row. And only taking one at a time (10mg) when I do take them.

This, and for me. When I come down. I have to have something, (oxycodone or benzo) or if I don’t have anything I’ll drink a couple drinks. Unless OP is Superman and doesn’t get adderall comedowns.
For me, I don't feel like I get a major drop off, I usually take the one 10mg dose in the morning if I am taking it that day and feel ok the rest of the day. For me its the nights that are the worst. The more pain, restlessness, etc... I have without sleeping overnight dictates how I feel the next day. But, maybe that is my come down....don't really know.

I also don't get a big energy spurt from it either, I just feel a bit more focused and better mood.

For me, I don't feel like I get a major drop off, I usually take the one 10mg dose in the morning if I am taking it that day and feel ok the rest of the day. For me its the nights that are the worst. The more pain, restlessness, etc... I have without sleeping overnight dictates how I feel the next day. But, maybe that is my come down....don't really know.

I also don't get a big energy spurt from it either, I just feel a bit more focused and better mood.
Well I’m prescribed 10mg x 2 daily. Honestly I take 15mg if it’s a quality generic and follow up with the other 5mg later. With this new brand I usually take my whole dose in the morning. Avoid coffee, or anything that would potentate the adderall and your less likely to have a comedown. But with my dosage, I usually like something to come down with.

Well I’m prescribed 10mg x 2 daily. Honestly I take 15mg if it’s a quality generic and follow up with the other 5mg later. With this new brand I usually take my whole dose in the morning. Avoid coffee, or anything that would potentate the adderall and your less likely to have a comedown. But with my dosage, I usually like something to come down with.
Thanks. Have you broke off from using completely and hard withdrawl from that? I will be out this week.

Thanks. Have you broke off from using completely and hard withdrawl from that? I will be out this week.
Nah really to be honest I just took clonazepam (prescribed) for about a week and it was over. You’re still going to have paws, and lack energy and be a little moody, but oxy is one of the fasting metabolizing opiates there is. So in 3-4 days the stomach aches should be over along with and physical feelings. If you have to use through then, that would be your choice. It could help but I won’t advise you switch from oxy to adderall as they both have downfalls and heavy addiction potential, is this medication prescribed if you don’t mind me asking?

Nah really to be honest I just took clonazepam (prescribed) for about a week and it was over. You’re still going to have paws, and lack energy and be a little moody, but oxy is one of the fasting metabolizing opiates there is. So in 3-4 days the stomach aches should be over along with and physical feelings. If you have to use through then, that would be your choice. It could help but I won’t advise you switch from oxy to adderall as they both have downfalls and heavy addiction potential, is this medication prescribed if you don’t mind me asking?
Oxy is all gone, since two weeks ago with no access to more (no, not prescribed). I wanted to get away from it anyway, but not sure I would have ever stopped with easy access available. Stomach is good now, that has all passed. I am down to the moods and heavy weighty/achyness and not sleeping (don't think the Dextro is the problem with sleeping, I have not taken any, any later than 10am). Bad acid refux (that is something opioids resolves that I never knew until I started taking them) is a big culprit and then the body sensations (mostly my legs) causing that insistent painful tingling, early on was punching my legs so hard, I was bruising them.

Oxy is all gone, since two weeks ago with no access to more (no, not prescribed). I wanted to get away from it anyway, but not sure I would have ever stopped with easy access available. Stomach is good now, that has all passed. I am down to the moods and heavy weighty/achyness and not sleeping (don't think the Dextro is the problem with sleeping, I have not taken any, any later than 10am). Bad acid refux (that is something opioids resolves that I never knew until I started taking them) is a big culprit and then the body sensations (mostly my legs) causing that insistent painful tingling, early on was punching my legs so hard, I was bruising them.
Mine get extremely restless with opiates. I would honestly use sparingly. Just simply because I know how dependent you can get on them. It’s not like a benzo or an opiate. It doesn’t chill you out, magnesium should help your nerves calm down. I take triple calm magnesium. If I were to recommend anything it would be cbd and maybe a little thc oil.

Mine get extremely restless with opiates. I would honestly use sparingly. Just simply because I know how dependent you can get on them. It’s not like a benzo or an opiate. It doesn’t chill you out, magnesium should help your nerves calm down. I take triple calm magnesium. If I were to recommend anything it would be cbd and maybe a little thc oil.
Thanks much for all your input. I do have some THC, so good there. That definitely helps me start to sleep, just doesn't keep me asleep.

I had read about Magnesium before and forgot about that, will start that now, thanks.

Glad you were able to get past it, I know there is light at the end of the tunnel for me. Man what powerful drugs they (opiates) are!

Thanks much for all your input. I do have some THC, so good there. That definitely helps me start to sleep, just doesn't keep me asleep.

I had read about Magnesium before and forgot about that, will start that now, thanks.

Glad you were able to get past it, I know there is light at the end of the tunnel for me. Man what powerful drugs they (opiates) are!
They really are. Get you some triple calm magnesium not Walmart kinds. You need magnesium taurate, glycinate, Malate. I’d get suntheanine as well to help with your anxiety, and a good whole food vitamin and omega 3. Mine is Nordic natural and comes with absorbable vitamin D.
It’s important that you don’t feel like you can never have an opiate again (prescriptions only) lmao. Not just for fun, but we must learn to respect them. Like you, I used it to treat mental pain. I often wonder why we can’t use suboxone for off label depression usage, but that’s another story.
Also 10mg is a very light dose. I won’t advise you to take more. But I don’t feel any relief therapeutically let alone combating paws with 10mg. I take 20. That’s prescribed to me, if you can talk to a doctor. I was very honest with my doctor. I told him about my usage in the past. I told him what adderall helped me do, and to be honest. Other then the crash, I’d prefer adderall over oxy any day. But if you can get a doctor and establish a relationship, sometimes honesty will take you a long way. Not every doctor Is like this though. I am very blessed to have a doctor that listens.

They really are. Get you some triple calm magnesium not Walmart kinds. You need magnesium taurate, glycinate, Malate. I’d get suntheanine as well to help with your anxiety, and a good whole food vitamin and omega 3. Mine is Nordic natural and comes with absorbable vitamin D.
It’s important that you don’t feel like you can never have an opiate again (prescriptions only) lmao. Not just for fun, but we must learn to respect them. Like you, I used it to treat mental pain. I often wonder why we can’t use suboxone for off label depression usage, but that’s another story.
Also 10mg is a very light dose. I won’t advise you to take more. But I don’t feel any relief therapeutically let alone combating paws with 10mg. I take 20. That’s prescribed to me, if you can talk to a doctor. I was very honest with my doctor. I told him about my usage in the past. I told him what adderall helped me do, and to be honest. Other then the crash, I’d prefer adderall over oxy any day. But if you can get a doctor and establish a relationship, sometimes honesty will take you a long way. Not every doctor Is like this though. I am very blessed to have a doctor that listens.
Thanks again. And yes I agree on the doctors. I have had the same one for the past dozen years or so and never been happy, honestly I have not been to a physician for over 3 years, but I am setting up with a new doctor who I have researched and seems like a good choice (I hope). Getting an appointment soon, especially in case when I am completely out of anything I have to help me, I can specifically address it with the doctor, but also because I need do so regardless.

I wasn't even using them (Oxy's) much above what would have been prescribed, but was using them for the mental and some physical stability and daily for over 12 months. Just took it too far and for too long. And to clarify, I wasn't taking them from someone else (reading what I wrote doesn't sound the best). I happened to run into a situation where unused excess became available to me.

I am going to look out for everything you cited which helps and see what works. Definitely getting the Magnesium (triple calm). Much appreciated. I have already been taking MVI and Vitamin D daily as well as exercising more, sucking down as much water as possible, etc..., but like what you suggest to add as well.

I wish they could take some of the positives from Oxy, for me just feeling more comfortable with communication is a major reason I take them, the euphoria is great too, but we all know that fades unless you keeping uping the doses. And a few other positive non high things they do are great at as well. And do something about the withdrawal's!

Thanks again. And yes I agree on the doctors. I have had the same one for the past dozen years or so and never been happy, honestly I have not been to a physician for over 3 years, but I am setting up with a new doctor who I have researched and seems like a good choice (I hope). Getting an appointment soon, especially in case when I am completely out of anything I have to help me, I can specifically address it with the doctor, but also because I need do so regardless.

I wasn't even using them (Oxy's) much above what would have been prescribed, but was using them for the mental and some physical stability and daily for over 12 months. Just took it too far and for too long. And to clarify, I wasn't taking them from someone else (reading what I wrote doesn't sound the best). I happened to run into a situation where unused excess became available to me.

I am going to look out for everything you cited which helps and see what works. Definitely getting the Magnesium (triple calm). Much appreciated. I have already been taking MVI and Vitamin D daily as well as exercising more, sucking down as much water as possible, etc..., but like what you suggest to add as well.

I wish they could take some of the positives from Oxy, for me just feeling more comfortable with communication is a major reason I take them, the euphoria is great too, but we all know that fades unless you keeping uping the doses. And a few other positive non high things they do are great at as well. And do something about the withdrawal's!
Mine is too, I noticed that 5-15mg helped me care about life, but I felt warm doing it. Adderall makes me a robot, I literally feel the calculations as I do them. I never really took much more the 5-15mg of the oxy. Currently 15mg being the highest, I worry a lot about dying although many people state here as long as your not eating 50-60 mgs at a time every hour, the most a 15 will do is make you sleepy or nausea. Don’t mean to cause any triggers, just be a friend and talk to you.
make sure when you get supplements you avoid the ones you can get anywhere. It can be more expensive. And I’ll tell you no vitamin will feel like a 15mg lmao. But I have to avoid food coloring, silicon dioxide and a lot of processed things as it influences my depression and anxiety dramatically. Almost as if I take a blue pill I can expect depression afterwards. I almost attribute pill colors now, as to what I did to ex pills back in the day. If it’s a pink perc omg. Haha so I try to avoid that as well. ( except for oxy) lmao I looked up the inactive ingredients, and blahhh. No wonder we feel depressed when we don’t have them. Sometimes I wonder if it’s addiction to the opiates or the food dyes.

but I only bring up a doctor as I think it might be prudent for you to maybe get on a temp dose of benzos. I’m not a doctor, and I don’t know your feelings on that. So just know I can’t recommend anything. But they did help with the paws. Just please never combine opiates and benzos

Mine is too, I noticed that 5-15mg helped me care about life, but I felt warm doing it. Adderall makes me a robot, I literally feel the calculations as I do them. I never really took much more the 5-15mg of the oxy. Currently 15mg being the highest, I worry a lot about dying although many people state here as long as your not eating 50-60 mgs at a time every hour, the most a 15 will do is make you sleepy or nausea. Don’t mean to cause any triggers, just be a friend and talk to you.
make sure when you get supplements you avoid the ones you can get anywhere. It can be more expensive. And I’ll tell you no vitamin will feel like a 15mg lmao. But I have to avoid food coloring, silicon dioxide and a lot of processed things as it influences my depression and anxiety dramatically. Almost as if I take a blue pill I can expect depression afterwards. I almost attribute pill colors now, as to what I did to ex pills back in the day. If it’s a pink perc omg. Haha so I try to avoid that as well. ( except for oxy) lmao I looked up the inactive ingredients, and blahhh. No wonder we feel depressed when we don’t have them. Sometimes I wonder if it’s addiction to the opiates or the food dyes.

but I only bring up a doctor as I think it might be prudent for you to maybe get on a temp dose of benzos. I’m not a doctor, and I don’t know your feelings on that. So just know I can’t recommend anything. But they did help with the paws. Just please never combine opiates and benzos
The bolded is exactly what I experience, perfect description! And I never went over 10mg in one dose. And I know it probably doesn't make sense, but I am more productive and focused on them as well. I only get drowsy when I start them after not having done them for a while (I was off on for years when I could get some, but this past 12+ months had been non stop).

I do not feel that with Dextro, in fact I don't feel much of anything, but I know I feel less pain from the withdrawl during the day a few hours after taking my one dose.

Funny about the colors. I had pink Oxy 10mg's at one point and felt like they were more potent....maybe it was the color...lol.

My same access had some benzos. I've taken them very sparingly, like I said, don't want an issue there. I had a half of a 0.25mg Alprazolam last night because I had not slept but a few hours Friday and Saturday night and needed to sleep for work. But had not had any in a few days and will keep the usage lite. Plus they will be gone soon too.

I like your suggestions. I've tried the drinking and drugs life, maybe I'll try the all natural life now. As long as I can keep myself in check.

The bolded is exactly what I experience, perfect description! And I never went over 10mg in one dose. And I know it probably doesn't make sense, but I am more productive and focused on them as well. I only get drowsy when I start them after not having done them for a while (I was off on for years when I could get some, but this past 12+ months had been non stop).

I do not feel that with Dextro, in fact I don't feel much of anything, but I know I feel less pain from the withdrawl during the day a few hours after taking my one dose.

Funny about the colors. I had pink Oxy 10mg's at one point and felt like they were more potent....maybe it was the color...lol.

My same access had some benzos. I've taken them very sparingly, like I said, don't want an issue there. I had a half of a 0.25mg Alprazolam last night because I had not slept but a few hours Friday and Saturday night and needed to sleep for work. But had not had any in a few days and will keep the usage lite. Plus they will be gone soon too.

I like your suggestions. I've tried the drinking and drugs life, maybe I'll try the all natural life now. As long as I can keep myself in check.
Well take it one day at a time, you didn’t gain this overnight it won’t disappear. But every step forward you take is a step further away from the drugs, I too stayed at 10mg. But I slowly started breaking another one into quarters that turned to half’s. I found like you said 5-10mg makes me happy focused and pleasant to be around. 15mg is good for just laying there. Especially if you just wake up, I loved waking up early and turning on some music and just relaxing. Never tried anything over that. And usually I find weed, to make the lethargy more pronounced. I’m lucky to be prescribed klonopin though, I found that to be one of the best benzos with its long half life. It helped me not repeatedly dose, like a Xanax would. I assume Valium’s would help. In all honesty save the dextro for days that you absolutely can’t move or do anything. You should be past that but if it happens again. Don’t feel bad. But try to use the adderall sparingly and tbh. I’m not recommending dosages all I’ll say is 15-20mg of adderall is what I take and it works wonders in the morning. Although this generic isn’t as good as my previous.

I wish you luck family. Please stay in touch and lemme know how it goes I’m off and on, but you can always dm me if u need too