• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

US citizen, 25, is arrested for using a DRONE to smuggle 13lbs of meth worth $50K acr

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
US citizen, 25, is arrested for using a DRONE to smuggle 13lbs of meth worth $50K across the border from Mexico

A US citizen has been charged with using a drone to smuggle more than 13 pounds of methamphetamine from Mexico by drone, officials said on Friday.

Jorge Edwin Rivera, 25, admitted using drones to smuggle drugs five or six times since March, typically delivering them to an accomplice at a nearby gas station in San Diego, according to border officials.

The seizure yielded 13.44 pounds of meth with a street value of $46,000, according to Customs and Border Protection.

It was an unusually large seizure for what is still a novel technique to bring illegal drugs into the United States.

Rivera was initially apprehended on August 8, when Border Patrol agents tracked a drone across the border and followed it to Rivera, about 2,000 yards from the border.

1164349-4804454-This_undated_photo_provided_by_the_U_S_Border_Patrol_shows_a_2_f-a-1_1503202394124.jpg

1164351-4804454-This_undated_photo_provided_by_the_U_S_Border_Patrol_shows_12_pa-a-2_1503202419166.jpg

Agents found Rivera with the methamphetamine in a lunch box and a 2-foot drone hidden in a nearby bush.

The suspect said he was paid about $1,000 for the attempt that ended in his arrest, police said.

The US Drug Enforcement Administration said in a recent annual report that drones are not often used to smuggle drugs from Mexico because they can only carry small loads, though it said they may become more common.

In 2015, two people pleaded guilty to dropping 28 pounds of heroin from a drone in the border town of Calexico, California.

That same year, Border Patrol agents in San Luis, Arizona, spotted a drone dropping bundles with 30 pounds of marijuana.

Alana Robinson, acting US attorney for the Southern District of California, said drones haven't appealed to smugglers because their noise attracts attention and battery life is short.

4366701600000578-4804454-image-a-3_1503204613991.jpg

Also, drone payloads pale in comparison to other transportation methods, like hidden vehicle compartments, boats or tunnels.

As technology addresses those shortcomings, Robinson expects drones to become more attractive to smugglers.

The biggest advantage for them is that the drone operator can stay far from where the drugs are dropped, reducing the risk of getting caught.

'The Border Patrol is very aware of the potential and are always listening and looking for drones,' Robinson said.

Benjamin Davis, Rivera's attorney, declined to comment.

Rivera is being held without bail and is scheduled to be arraigned on September 7.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4804454/Border-agents-track-drone-sky-drugs-ground.html

I guess they haven't thought of submarine drones yet, i wonder if the smugglers have. Pre-programmed route with gps reference would seem pretty hard to catch and large payloads are much easier via water.

Lol this is hilarious man, love to hear stories like this to lighten up the normal dark and gloomy atmosphere most associated with drugs.

Sucks for the dude but man....a fucking drone that is at least original.

I remember reading about someone getting caught using a drone to smuggle drugs into prison. I'm sure stealth drones already exist.. just maybe not available to the public yet. If the public had access to drones like the ones used in the middle east it would be pure chaos. We can kill people before they even see or know we are above them. I don't think it would be impossible for a cartel with enough money to get their hands on some drones capable of stealth with high carrying capacity, fly the drones over at night to a remote location for a drop. Part of me wonders if they're not already doing this. narco subs were used for years if not decades before the U.S. finally caught on.

They use drones to smuggle into prisons all the time I am sure drone smuggling is blowing up and bigger than ever across borders they must fly under the radar somehow some folks just refuse to play by the rules crazy world crazy times gonna get crazier