Uploading images

Can you embed pics with transparent background? Everytime I try to load a pic with the insert image button it says 'image cannot be loaded from the passed link.' I'm using imgur. It works when I use the insert link button only.

Not a big deal, I was just wondering if there was a way to embed it. Sorry for the newb post.. What's the best image hosting site to use?

No worries on the noob post you are in the right place.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a transparent background. You mean without all the imgur shit on it? I usually don't ever use the the embed function with posting pics, I just copy/paste the link straight into the comment window.

There is also a website called imgbb.com that serves the same function. When you upload, choose the "BBcode full linked" option I believe it's called, and grab that link. That will post only the picture without all the imgur stuff surrounding it.

Not sure if this helps at all, but feel free to clarify if I am misunderstanding.

Yep. Imgbb.com always works a treat for me.

Imgur has gone to shit...

Can you embed pics with transparent background?

yes. e.g.

patriots-logo-png-0.png

Everytime I try to load a pic with the insert image button it says 'image cannot be loaded from the passed link.'

you need to make sure you have a url which links directly to the image file and only the image file. a lot of these free sites will, quite reasonably, give you a link to an asset which includes their branding, etc.

alasdair

yes. e.g.

patriots-logo-png-0.png

you need to make sure you have a url which links directly to the image file and only the image file. a lot of these free sites will, quite reasonably, give you a link to an asset which includes their branding, etc.

alasdair

Thank you

yes. e.g.

patriots-logo-png-0.png

alasdair

I made you a gif for your help.
giphy.gif

For some reason the original is not showing up, probably too big. Here's a smaller one.
giphy.gif

Thanks Thank You GIF by Lumi

Reactions: CFC
thanks man! lovely!

fwiw, here is the direct url of that first image you tried to embed: https://media.giphy.com/media/65MzCmUtPPEsAL3ScF/giphy.gif

but embedding it still seems problematic. i'm not sure why as the browser loads it fine.

alasdair

Last edited:
(i had to add a couple of spaces between the `m` and `e` of media to break the url because the xenforo `noparse` tag does not seem to be working :(

That's odd. Something must have broken during an update. XF's built-in default is [plain][/plain], which still seems to work.

[MEDIA=imgur]wzdjHQn[/MEDIA]

[IMG]https://media.giphy.com/media/65MzCmUtPPEsAL3ScF/giphy.gif[/IMG]

[media]https://media.giphy.com/media/65MzCmUtPPEsAL3ScF/giphy.gif[/media]

giphy.gif

[media]

So it works wrapped in [media] tags (MP4). Though I can see XF is buggy and gets itself mightily confused by multiple instances of /media in a URL.

give you a link to an asset which includes their branding, etc.

what's that? you mean like a watermark?

like how windows says

This copy of Windows is not genuine? I never heard though, like I've heard to add fake links that in order to post whatever image/gif you uploaded, you need to sign-up through third-party keys or direct account if available.

alsdair, you said a while back you work in some design thing and it sounds to good to be true, I am not sure how you will answer this question, probably you never expected someone to even come forward.