Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Unimaginable colors

ChinaMayne

Bluelighter
I have a quick question.

When I smoke DMT I experience new and unimaginable colors that I cannot describe. my friends experience a wide array of colors but they do not see new ones.

Has anyone else with DMT under their belt, or any other psychedelic, experienced new and different colors?

It's not mumbo-jumbo, it's just a very funny series of books is all :)

And what you describe is "magic mumbo-jumbo" in a sense cos there aren't any other colours to see really, as far as I know. Assuming you don't develop superhuman vision whilst tripping and start seeing in ultraviolet or summat. Can understand the difficulties in describing the colours you see whilst tripping on DMT and anything else but if your eyes can see it it's just a variation on the spectrum we all know and love, I suspect.

Unless it's that special magic elf colour... possibly called octarine :D

I kinda think it sorta works though, octarine sounds like my favorite kinda color

there are other colors, but we cannot experience them. DMT is also not magic haha it is VERY real, internally.

I know there are other colours we cant experience - hence the ultraviolet (or indeed infra-red) mention. The representations of a bee's eye view of flowers, for example, is utterly different to our own view of them. I just don't see that DMT or other psyches give you the ability to see them.

How would you describe these other colours? Obviously kinda hard, but I'm intrigued as to why you think the colours you see on DMT differ from those your friends see. I've seen colours on DMT that I couldn't name... but they are all part of the same visual spectrum I see any other time. I just see them in a different way for a while, perhaps.

Suspect this may well end up heading deeper into magic mumbo-jumbo territory than you may have hoped :D

Those 'new' colours are real, we just don't experience them in ordinary sobriety. We have a kind of bandwith limiting system in our optical/emotional brain system to limit our perception of reality to the normal range experienced in sobriety. However, the frequencies of the electromagnetic spectrum go way beyond that, and it is no stretch of the imagination to see that altering the coincidence-detection methods/frequencies/resonances of our perceptual system will inherantly enable us to percieve particles and their wavefunctions, superpositions and probability waves etc. far outside that which we normally experience.

Not to mention there are many other particles such as neutrinos which carry energy away from mass-energy reactions such as those occurring in the sun, in the earth's atmosphere, and everywhere around us. These are streaming through us constantly, just like light does (remember that radio waves, x-rays etc. are merely different frequencies of light, yet they can pass through solid matter, just like neutrinos).

Who is to say that under the influence of psychedelics, we don't observe these other particle's functions by temporarily altering the mechanics of the wonderful enigma we call the brain. Shifting frequencies and resonant patterns in the brain has profound effects on the perception of our universe.

I love psychedelics, they really are the future of everything :)

^I'm skeptical of the idea that psychedelics can make us perceive novel and independent environmental stimuli, such as other wavelengths of light. Our eyes and rod and cone pigments don't change because of psychedelics--and so we wouldn't suddenly have new photoreceptors sensitive to empirically detectable light types whose activation would then correspond with new color experiences.

Colorblind color grapheme synesthetes (they see particular colors around meaningful written symbols) sometimes report that the colors that appear around certain graphemes are "alien"; they are not colors that they have ever encountered in the environment. A red-green colorblind synesthete may see red around a particular grapheme even though they've never seen red at a stop sign, suggesting that certain colors do not require direct experience to be processed as unique qualia--they're born in. But, if I recall correctly, synesthetes with normal color vision sometimes also report "alien colors." They've presumably have seen all the colors the rest of us have seen but also perceive something additional. For most of us the experience of color is processed directly from the environment through our eyes, as in pulling up to a stop sign and seeing red, or as a memory, as in dreaming the sight of a stop sign.

But color grapheme synesthetes experience color in accordance with the concept of a symbol (very sensitve color-graphem synesthetes have reported that the Roman numeral "IV" has the same color aura as "4," for example. The indication is that the color experience derives from the idea rather than the physical symbol. In synesthetes, higher order conceptual processing feeds back into color perception and alters it in ways that conflict with direct environmental signals. Therefore, these synesthetes have a unique processing dynamic to their production of color experience. They are experiencing the color of a concept like "four" and integrating it into their eye-based perceptions of the various symbols for four, and new experientially distinct colors presumably emerge during this distinctly different kind of activity.

Though I have not experienced it, I don't doubt for a second that it's possible to see new colors on psychedelics. That's because I've experienced extra-spatial perception using ayahuasca and salvia together, and I'll never forget it. I briefly experienced more that three spatial dimensions, which is an experience that has been reported by a few others as the result of smoked DMT. I repeated the word "impossible" out loud to myself during and after the experience ended because it surprised me so much. We do not live in a more than three spatial dimension world (at least not that we are sensuously aware of), and the idea of "imagining" more spatial dimensions had previously seemed an absurdity. I don't believe I saw into another physically existing higher-dimensional world that night, of course. Rather, I conclude that, at least with the help of drugs, our minds are powerful enough to conjure fundamentally unique and independent qualities of experience such as new colors and additional spatial dimensionality.

That last paragraph there sounds remarkably similar to my recent IV 4-AcO-DMT experiences, Psood0nym. Remarkably similar. Being given a glimpse (or rather being thrust into/out of/through... kinda hard to explain when it's not a 3/4D place) into reality as perceived from dimensions not for the likes of us humans to generally get to see resonates especially. As I've been struggling to put the experience in words for a TR, don't be too surprised to see parts of that quoted in it whenever it materialises :D

PS: As mentioned above - flowers as seen through the eyes of a bee. A random example..

Human eye view

NSFW:
ALLI_PET_I030519224.jpg

Bee eye view
NSFW:

ALLI_PET_I030519225.jpg

<3

Last edited:
Try DOM - I found this had the most profound effect on colour perception of any psychedelic (inc DMT)

But did it make you see "new" colours - colours that you could never see without DOM? Or more just see colours more vividly than under any normal circumstance? Or something else entirely? Perhaps Octarine :D

The mechanism by which we are able to see only the wavelengths of light which we see is physical. The rods and cones in the eye have sensitivity to light of certain wavelengths, and nothing we do to the brain afterwards can let us detect something that isn't being detected by the eye. Worth noting that after early cataract surgery, which removed a lot more of the eye than it does now, some were able to see the near ultraviolet, which the eye could perceive (seen as blue, i belive, not some new color), but which is normally blocked by the lens of the eye.

None of that, however, has anything to do with whether a drug can make you imagine colors which do not correspond to colors that we can perceive. It is something i'd love to experience.

Wow, great thread!

During the day-to-day, we tend to compartmentalize things to make life easier. It is this drive to chop up reality into manageable chunks that is responsible for our subjective "reality".

Colors are just a manifestation of this. For example, we call thousands of different hues "BLUE" or "RED" or "GREEN", but in reality one "blue" can be very different to "blue". We simply create this taxonomy of colors because (a) it makes life easier, and (b) we can divide hues based on superficialities, e.g. appearances.

When we use psychedelics / drugs in general, or reach similar states by other means, our ordering of reality is altered. We can "see colors" without the perceptual limits imposed by the general names that we use to group hues.

^ Yes very true Outta Pocket. You guys beat me to it, DMT is not affecting my rods and cones located in my eye, but rather my brain responsible with the visual sense. Its impossible for me to explain these colors to others and its hard for myself to even grasp it. When DMT is used I experience a strobing constantly changing color fractal morphing through spacetime. This often goes through the rainbow i.e ROY G BIV, but it continues onward, or goes into the infared spectrum.

Yeah, I'm not talking about rods and cones, or even the various stages of the visual cortex. Psood0nym, and Azo; you're saying that something isn't there simply because we can't see it. That, to me, is ridiculous. The perception of reality goes far deeper than that. Remember that our awareness of space it's not just limited to vision simply because it's the primary source of information we rely on to construct a framework for our 'space'.

There are more than five senses. In fact, saying we only have five senses is ludicrous - well actually it is the way biological science has attempted to quantify into huge chunks (for the benefit of understanding on a very basic level) the mechanism in which we interact with the information around us.