• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JoeTheStoner

Bluelighter
tumblr_n82mr0KPCE1tqh0k8o1_1280.jpg

An alien seductress (Scarlett Johansson) preys upon hitchhikers in Scotland.

what a gem. scar jo nailed it. like been a fan since ghost world and wouldn't expect her to do something like this since she is already mega movie star status. voice over in "her" and this, just wow.

gnarly, trippy, meditative film worth talkin about. gotta seek out the book now.

Was a great watch love the abstract content and great filming, also thanks for the article, his part really took it to another level, all in all it was beautiful.

I even had a good laugh the fist time she encountered the man in yellow jacket in the middle of the forrest chatting about about havin stroll and there being plenty of room and all...:D just perfect timing after tension building up.. Will probably watch it again, after reading the book.

Last edited:
^ yea, the way she acts with humans is what makes it great. there is always that tension you mention mixed with a bit of awkwardness. def agree part with the tumor guy really did take it to another level, the conversation/interaction in the van had me on edge, seeing him wander back home, i was just like whoa.

from the scene on the beach to that one, ya see how she begins to have new feelings of empathy/sympathy, then what happens at the end... fucking a... sums up the human race pretty much. like shit im going through irl dealing with people in the hospital, meeting so many lovely, compassionate souls, then turn on the news about the palestinian teen burned to death, just shake my head like fuckk.

really tho man, that ending had me in a trance.

tumblr_n8exg9v5sC1qghl49o1_500.gif

kinda reminds me of rachel from blade runner, think its cause the dark hair, red lipstick.

* good for repeat viewings, after the first can't help but imagine what she really looks like under the s kin, so i just picture her in true form all throughout the film.

oh, i just realized i got the title wrong, its "under the skin" not "under her skin" if a mod can change that, i'd be very thankful. =)

Last edited:
This was much better atmospherically and conceptually than I expected, and the commentary on humanity vs. The Other was super fucken cool. Very pleased w/ this one.

I had a repeat view feeling on this one too. I almost watched it twice. Strange.

Last edited:
Oops. Delete your post. I'll delete mine (that part). Hopefully we'll minimize the damage.

This movie receives so much negative reaction from viewers, many of whom were drawn to it because Johansen is naked in it.

Like in Rotten Tomatoes only 56% of viewers liked it, and it draws a lot of wrath from viewers on IMDB. This is currently the top review there:

Progressively Infuriating

Plot less meaningless pointless unpaced actionless minimalist random frustrating film, with a horrible modernist soundtrack.

The only meaning the film has is that which has been laid upon it by the viewer; the film provides little to no substantial items to go off of. At it's base, it's a film depicting the confusion an alien feels at encountering humans. But the film could have easily done this without being confusing itself to the point of obtuseness.

Made me angry that I wasted 2 hours and the price of a movie ticket on it. It's like a college art film with too much time and too big a budget.

Worst movie I've ever seen.

^ i haven't read reviews so hearing it receive much negative reaction is surprising.

what really tells me op isn't worth listening to is "pointless unpaced actionless" as if the lack of "action" is a negative in regards to the film. just get the feel op was expecting something totally different and as the film progressed realizing it wasn't what they had expected, decided it was trash. couldn't see the other side of the coin imo and take it for what it is. "minimalist" ? that word never crossed my mind while watching it. i can see why op would say that, ok, but again, not a negative. that person wanted eye candy and action, this is far from that. a meditative film on human nature.

the score matched the tone perfectly imo, from ambient/drone-ish to hauntingly beautiful ( specfically thinking about a scene near the end) with the violins as her face is revealed,i sat there completely transfixed.

http://www.filmcaptures.com/under-the-skin/

Last edited:
The thing is, it has a wider audience than such a movie would normally have because of Johansen. This is not really a movie that caters to the evanescent attention spans of horny 16 year old boys.

The scene with the toddler at the beach was extremely chilling. I'm usually immune to cinematic shocks, but that was a very forceful scene.

I also thought her acting was perfect. Really this is a very strong movie.

The scene where the guy who just walked under the liquid who met the other who then sort of imploded with creepy noise had me jumping out of my chair as I had turned up the volume as there wasn't much sound leading up to it.:D

Definately not for the average popcorn kid bub loved the subtle abstract tension just the start of the film is already beautiful.
Somehow reminds me of Beyond the Black Rainbow.

Not playing techno often anymore, Moved to more dub tech / deep tech house sound now post-minimal melt down ;) But buddies of me are still going strong with the pure techno sound, but I do still lurk around a bit, I like what shifted, rrose and my buddy at abstract division is doing, There really is a lot of good techno being released, a whole new wave isn't it? I've been busy collecting house / techno from the 90's that still fits in today and that most of the new generation doesn't know yet.

Last edited:
exquisite taste. rrose is my fav producer atm. shifted, i just read the feature they did with him @ RA. never knew he was in commix before, i also liked them. i'll look out for abstract division.

i was kinda into that minimal sound for awhile, use to always check for shit on m_nus but still prefer older plastikman or robert hood.

i'll pm ya. hit me up with ya some of the deep house ya listen to + rrose has a killer track droppin on strobscopic artefacts 5year anniversary release. i'll link ya to their soundcloud.