[UK] [Cambridge] Stimulant Drug Users Wanted for Research Study

oliphill

Bluelighter
Saw this leafletted in my local methadone clinic.

http://cambridge.gumtree.com/cambridge/78/52086378.html
Edit by TLB: Updated links (same content on both) - Link1, Link 2

They want you who uses stimulants and a brother/sister who doesn't to both go to cambridge and do a few tests.

You will be paid for your time.

Are you regularly using cocaine, crack-cocaine, or amphetamines?

Do you have a brother or sister who doesn't take drugs or drink alcohol
heavily?

Are you both aged 18 - 55 years?

Are you both able to spend about 5½ hours in a research study?

Researchers at the University of Cambridge are currently seeking stimulant
users and their non-drug using brother/sister to participate in a research study
investigating the causes and effects of chronic stimulant use.

Participants will be asked to undergo a brain scan, fill out some questionnaires and perform some computerised tests. A blood sample will also be drawn for genetic analysis.

All information will be kept strictly confidential! Participants will be compensated for their time and inconvenience, and receive a picture of their brain. Travel expenses will be paid additionally.

For more information please contact Dr Karen Ersche or a member of her research team by phone (01223-336587 or 01223-760665) or e-mail: [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing this oliphill. If you qualified, it would be worth it to get a picture of your brain! 5.5 hours is a rather long time though.

If only I had a sibling... that said, i've had a brain scan for research before, far cooler than I expected - you can even see your face on the 3D representation

100 quid, facebook for five hours and a picture of your brain, how cool is this :D

Shame me and the bro don't qualify.......

Haha, I was told I abuse Cocaine TOO MUCH to be suitable! That's when you know you have a problem.

Nice people though.

EDIT: Okay, I used too much for one of the studies in the OP but not the one directly quoted in this thread. Just wanted to clarify that. The study in the OP is for heavier users too.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am one of the researchers conducting this study and I am really pleased to see that some people are interested in taking part in the study. Thanks Oliphill for putting it on here too!
I just wanted to highlight that we are still looking for sibling pairs so if you fulfill the criteria above then please do give us a call asap.
Thanks!

Hi,

We are now coming to the end of our recruitment and are desperate for our last few volunteers. If you are interested in taking part in this study please don't hesitate to contact Dr. Karen Ersche on 01223 336587 or at [email protected].

Many Thanks!

Thank you very much for posting the information about our study looking at sibling pairs. We are very grateful for your support as we do have difficulty with recruitment.
We have now finished recruitment for this phase of the study and I was wondering if you could please remove the 'recruiting' prefix to the thread? I am now looking for recreational cocaine users and have posted another thread.

Once again, many thanks,

Abigail Turton
Research Assistant, University of Cambridge